Watch Those Emblems

My shiny 94 LS400 bought a year ago is almost perfect-I park it far away from any other car in Super Market parking lots. My daughter calls it a "Magnet", since it always seems to have a car parked next to it when we come out of the store.

However, one thing missing has been a "Lexus" emblem on one of the rear center caps. So I broke down, and purchased a set of center caps on EBay recently. The caps are alloy, while my caps are chrome. I couldn't find any chrome caps with gold logos anywhere except at Lexus-parts.com, and the price of $60 seems excessive for one cap. So I paid $11, and am hoping that I can transfer the gold logo from the alloy to the chrome. Waiting for delivery.

Anyway, knowing that I needed to figure out how to install the new emblem, I took off one of the other caps. Lo and behold, the emblem fell off in my hand! Apparently, centrifugal force had been keeping it on the cap. Upon inspection, I found that the plastic clips on the emblem had become brittle and weak. I started to bend the clips, but heard a familiar "cracking" sound, and stopped. Naturally, I got my trusty Krazy glue, and cemented the whole emblem to the cap. I think this will solve the problem.

My point is to check all your emblems-They ain't cheap, and pressure plastic connections will weaken over time-especially since we expect our Lexi's to last a long, long time.

Well, I sure would like to know where to get the gold emblems that go in the wheel caps !!!!!!!!!!! As far as I know they are NLA.

Been trying to find them for over a year.. so......if anyone sees them let me know with a pm, I guess. Tks----

Note that I DO NOT want to buy new caps just to get the gold plastic "L's".

FYI, Tansupplyman-I wouldn't normally buy center caps just to get the emblems, but I did this time, since the EBay deal covered 2 center caps for $11, and this INCLUDED SHIPPING. My bid price was $3. The emblems are gold, and I hope they are the right size.

The caps are due in the mail today. I'll let you know if I messed up.

BTW, I just got a gold Lexus license plate frame from EBay. Paid $17, which includes $8 shipping. It is perfect, very nice. I'm sure that the dealer can't match the price, and the quality is excellent.

Note we have the same problem-Pretty car with gold trim. But it's fun to search around.

tks-let me know what happens.

I have dull gold emblems on the chrome caps--but agree that if you could get excellent gold emblems on painted caps for that price--you could remove the emblems and throw the caps away.--assuming they wouldn't break the tabs.

let me know.

I am also hunting for a non-dull grill emblem. may have to buy the plating kit and do that one.

replaced the rear emblems because they were dull; also have a gold antenna nut and gold exhausts--but won't replace them. Painted the bottom of the car '98 GS gold.

Well, I received my EBay center caps (2) today. All I wanted was a gold emblem (1), so I didn't care that the caps were alloy, and mine are chrome. Took off the logos, and sprayed them with gloss gold paint, since they were really worn out. Got the chrome cap with the missing emblem, and-

Damn logo was about 1/8" too small. I discovered that the alloy center caps were about 1/4" too small in diameter, too. I knew I was taking a chance buying on EBay, especially since no dimensions were given. So I had to rig the emblem by cutting and patching it to fit. It looks fine, but it was really disappointing.

Oh, well, it was only 11 bucks total. And I gave the seller a bad rating. Guess I should have asked first, but we all live and learn.