General faq - and audio links

AWJ

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello...I just found this forum and thought I would register. I am the proud second owner (since 1998) of a 1992 SC400. This is one beautiful car I am glad to have. I have spent a few well deserved dollars to clean up the interior, but, other than that, this car is in excellent condition! I look forward to speaking with other owners and finding good tips on care and maintenance...

Hello...I just found this forum and thought I would register.  I am the proud second owner (since 1998) of a 1992 SC400.  This is one beautiful car I am glad to have.  I have spent a few well deserved dollars to clean up the interior, but, other than that, this car is in excellent condition!  I look forward to speaking with other owners and finding good tips on care and maintenance...

Hi LexusSC400Owner

welcome to the club - this is the best place on the 'net for Lexus Owners!

Our main man for SC's (AWJ) will be around shortly - what this guy doesn't know about the SC isn't worth knowing!

:D

Must confess to being jealous - the more I see and hear about the SC - the more I want one!

:lol: Thanks Matt. I'm no expert, but trying hard. The model is one true passion of mine. Timeless and amazing feat of engineering.

LexusSC400owner - thousand welcomes. Feel free to ask anything. Check out some links and make noise. Great car you got there. ;)

Enjoy.

Regards,

AJ

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How about Hardcore Lexus V8 Performance. We focus mainly on the 1UZFE and topics like NOS, Turbos, Superchargers, Engine Mod, N/A, Swap and Conversion. We also have some research and development on the V8 and few other performance parts.

Enjoy Lextreme

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading some books at the library on aerodynamics. It says that using a front air dam saves gas because it lowers the coefficient of drag more than the frontal area. Not only that but it will increase downforce on the car allowing it to corner faster because less air on the bottom or car creates suction. The same goes with the optional oem spoiler and wing. The Lexus website says that with the optional rear spoiler drag coefficient is reduced from 0.32 to 0.31 :huh:

• 4 months later...

The DaveH budget turbo....

Dave "Turbo" Henry...

Has developed a slightly more wallet freindly set-up. He came by once to talk about it but that post was lost in our recent site failure. So here we go. Some statements can be seen at www.supraforums.com from people that have it. Dave is a stand up guy and has one fast NA-t. Just another turbo option for ya.

Dave's kit

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to add.

Mikado Technologies Company

1435 Huntington Avenue

South San Francisco, CA 94080

Phone: 650-615-9966

Mikado Technologies

This company can rebuild you climate control Instrument Panel. Last time I used their service they charged me $299 for the Clock/Climate Control on my LS. Their prices may have changed, so if you call them, and you hear something different, please let us know. It is possible that they can fix the guage clusters as well.

Another company/individual who can change the bulbs and cold cathoids, for less than above is:

bcrowder19@comcast.net

LexTech

Removing the Guage Clusters:

Instrument Panel Removal

Also, some instructions on how to change the bulbs in your radio or climate control.

ADDED 3/8/04:

Jim Walker

Jim Walker (LOC PM)

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

559-457-3092

im looking for performance parts for the lexus sc400 and as many of you already know, they are near non-existant. i have a few things that id like to know and hopefully this could be stickied to the top to help other new comers. im wanting to know of companies that sell the parts i am asking for, but im also going to include a suggestion(s) of a custom alternative that i would like your opinions on; here:

EXHAUST: 3" custom piping eliminating the cat and resonator splitting into 2.5" piping with either 2.5" straight through mufflers or just chromed/polished stainless steel tips.

HEADER: some skilled exhaust shop maybe? i dont know *shrugs*.

INTAKE: ram air; custom tubing that routes the intake to where the stock airbox would be, with a k&n cone on the end.

SUSPENSION: just something to lower it 1"; definitely dont want to cut springs.

STRUT BARS: is it even possible?

CARBON FIBER HOOD: no way in hell would i even attemp a diy cf hood, so where can i find one if they even exist which i doubt?

WHEELS & TIRES: just go to tirerack.com; got that covered :P.

these are some that i would personally like to know:

what (other than the above specified items) would need to be done to achieve 300 hp (not whp) and/or 300 lb/ft tq? would 11:1 forged pistons and slightly more aggressive cams do it?

what spoiler looks good on a sc300/400? im looking for something more aggressive looking, yet flows with the body lines very well.

There's a JIC Magic Strut bar http://www.jic-magic.com/productsjic_strut.htm

Cusco Strut bar http://www.cusco.co.jp/english/e_cont.html This is hard to find.

Do-Luck ladder bar: http://www.do-luck-usa.com/products.html?auto=JZZ30

Lowering your car 1 inch. Eibach pro-kit. www.eibach.com Surf the web and you'll find some good prices. Ebay is good too (that is, if you get the real thing).

CF hood: www.importfan.com I think their site is down right now.

We actually have a section pinned above called FAQ. AWJ started it, and we were hoping people would add to it.

I'm Merging and Pinning your topic above

I'll Add:

SC300/400 Mesh Grill Inserts

American Stitches--Leather/Carbon/Wood Steering Wheel Customized

Although can't read Japanese, yet--Tom's has many performance parts for todays Lexus and Toyotas.

http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/index2.html

Gold Plating--Midas Touch

Lexus Grills

Import Toys--dealer

Clear Corner--Head and Tail Light Customizers

• 2 weeks later...
is the rod millen exhaust (http://www.rodmillenstore.com/sc_400/exhaust.htm) an axleback or a catback? ive emailed them numerous times but theyve never responded.

It looks like they're just the mufflers. So I'm guessing it's an axleback <_< . I've never hear it called that before, until now. :rolleyes:

is the rod millen exhaust (http://www.rodmillenstore.com/sc_400/exhaust.htm) an axleback or a catback?  ive emailed them numerous times but theyve never responded.

It looks like they're just the mufflers. So I'm guessing it's an axleback <_< . I've never hear it called that before, until now. :rolleyes:

honestly, for the $700 for them, i could get a custom stainless steel exhaust; what a rip off. any suggested mufflers? what dimensions should i be looking for?

I haven't upgraded my exhaust yet, so I have the least Mufflers experience. Borla, Flowmaster, or Magnaflow are good. Greddy has an exhaust system listed ontheir Website for the SC300.

HKS has some equipment you could look at.

I would recommend 3.5" pipes, if you're thinking about turbos in the future, and can afford paying for a custom setup.

Be carefull though. There are certain states that forbid it.

PS: Instead of calling Rod Millen, you could call Stillen. they're the same family.

im just planning on doing boltons and i just found out through the magnaflow website that the local exhaust shop is an authorized magnaflow dealer. im probably just going to have 2.25" piping (recommended by planetsoarer.com) that eliminate the cat because the custom headers that im looking to group buy from lextreme.com are made for a 98+ and they dont bolt directly into the cats. all im going to do is probably wheels, tires, exhaust, headers, intake, and maybe get some eibach springs.

of course, theres a local radio station having a contest where they have $200k that theyre just giving away for pretty much anything and i asked for $40k for an sc430 and they would get my current car, although the chances are VERY slim.

im just planning on doing boltons and i just found out through the magnaflow website that the local exhaust shop is an authorized magnaflow dealer. im probably just going to have 2.25" piping (recommended by planetsoarer.com) that eliminate the cat because the custom headers that im looking to group buy from lextreme.com are made for a 98+ and they dont bolt directly into the cats. all im going to do is probably wheels, tires, exhaust, headers, intake, and maybe get some eibach springs.

of course, theres a local radio station having a contest where they have $200k that theyre just giving away for pretty much anything and i asked for $40k for an sc430 and they would get my current car, although the chances are VERY slim.

Good size. Don't forget to add some pictures for us to look at.

Good luck

im just planning on doing boltons and i just found out through the magnaflow website that the local exhaust shop is an authorized magnaflow dealer.  im probably just going to have 2.25" piping (recommended by planetsoarer.com) that eliminate the cat because the custom headers that im looking to group buy from lextreme.com are made for a 98+ and they dont bolt directly into the cats.  all im going to do is probably wheels, tires, exhaust, headers, intake, and maybe get some eibach springs.

Good size. Don't forget to add some pictures for us to look at.

Good luck

will do!

• 2 weeks later...