Using Search - Tips & Techniques

USING SEARCH

There's been some discussion that a SEARCH Primer should be compiled and pinned. This is ultimately up to the mods, but we can get the ball rolling in the meantime. Honestly, I haven't much experience with the facility and don't have any tips on how to use it other than you cannot search for anything with less than 4 letters. Not sure where to place this, so I'll just post it here and let the mods place it. Here are the basic links I'm familiar with:

Searching Topics and Posts:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...E=01&HID=10

Advanced Search:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?act=Search

Advanced Usage Help:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;CODE=explain

If any of you have tips/tricks you've developed for using SEARCH, you're invited to post them here. With a handy index/guide available, I'm sure all members, especially new members, would have an easier time searching and we'd have less threads dealing with very basic questions cluttering the forum. If we get enough of them, the mods might consider pinning them. So lets see what novel approaches are quietly residing at the back of our collective cerebellum.

Addendum:

If there are no tips to be had, how 'bout ideas/suggestions on how to make it work better/easier?

Otherwise we just "Live & Let Live" :whistles:

You're right about the four letter requirement. I had a difficult time looking up info when my "oil pump seal" searches came up as errors and luckily by asking around here I got the idea that searching "crank seal" would get me results.

I think a lot of questions get asked as posts because newbies cannot figure out how the search program works on this forum.

Just my two cents.

I am going to be installing a different search soon which uses google. works very well on my other forums. Google usually spiders this forums latest posts every hour.

I am going to be installing a different search soon which uses google. works very well on my other forums. Google usually spiders this forums latest posts every hour.

Is there anything the Google bots don't scan? :D Steve, that sounds great! :cheers:

does that mean we'll be able to search terms <3 characters without the search going stupid and making us use the * wildcard?