Rear Struts

Lexuslad

Hi All

Is there anyone out there that have fully removed the rear struts off a 1991 Ls 400

and can tell me how to do it or point me to the right link

i've had a look and to me it seems that you have to remove the drive shafts hich doesn't seem easy or am i looking at this wrong

can anyone give me a step by step way

Cheers

Bob

Good link

but still a bit confusing or its just me being thick

which bar links do you remove as the number isn't mentioned

and apart from the caliper what else do i have to remove as i can't see the hub carrier dropping that low to release the strut

bob

Good link

but still a bit confusing or its just me being thick

which bar links do you remove as the number isn't mentioned

and apart from the caliper what else do i have to remove as i can't see the hub carrier dropping that low to release the strut

bob

Yes zdeno we need more description...........

Try to give us a complete procedure when you have time.

I Just add couple of pictures from my 91LS400 manual. YOU don´t have to remove drive shaft ! (I didn´t) In the manual which I used for this job there is step by step procedure and I think I don´t have to explain that better. Check the LS400 gallery. Some of them I add twice because I had a problem with the size of the pictures. If you don´t have to read it just copy the pictures to your computer and resize them. If you still don´t find anything what you need I´m here.

Just add some more pictures. You don´t have to remove all the covers (see the picture in gallery), just the seats. It is little bit harder to loose the rear bolt but it is not impossible. Use the 12 or 13 or 14 mm larger nut.

Go to the gallery - LS400 gallery and then go to the end. I don´t know why but the picture are right in the end.

Right up corner there are more links and the last is Gallery -

FORUM GUIDELINES ·Search · Members · Calendar · Gallery ·

I was told it was a difficult task when I had my rear struts replaced a few months ago, with factory OEM Toyota struts, so I took it to a local independent repair shop. They just charged me $90 (labor) to replace them. I think it was worth it.

Now- to get the front ones replaced...... :rolleyes:

Steps for removing the alternator on a gen I:

1. Remove the serpentine belt by loosening the tension on the tension pulley.

2. There are two bolts holding the alternator to the engine. Remove the top nut. Leave the lower one alone for now.

3. Remove the engine splash shield.

4. Remove the passenger side tire if you want more access

4. Disconnect both electrical connections to the alternator.

5. Remove the lower bolt holding the alternator to the engine.

6. Slide the alternator to the forward of the car to get it off the top bolt.

7. Remove the alternator from underneath. You may find it helpful to temporarily disconnect the wires that are in the way (a grounding wire attached to the engine and a sensor - forgot which one), but I didn't have to. It was a trick to get the alternator to drop out though.

FWIW, I did this as part of my P/S pump/rack/front-end rebuild job. By removing the alternator, I was able to get easy access to the lower P/S bolt that everyone seems to have so much trouble with. While the alternator was out, I replaced the brushes, which were about shot after 130,000 - they would have likely gone another 30K more, but that's about it. Good luck! I took some pictures of the old and new brushes that I'll post when the job is done - been travelling too much lately.