Automatic To Manual Conversion!

I got great news...well actually...it's good news, considering my friend totaled his 5-speed sc300, and now he's parting it all out, including the 5-speed tranny. What I was wondering would be if it would be worth swapping my AT to MT, as far as all the work that is involoved. He told me to name a price, so how much is a good price for a good condition transmission?

I was gonna get some coilovers, but I just might jump on this deal if it's worth it. I really do miss driving 5-speed. Auto is a bit too laxed for me. I do plan on eventually doing a 2jz-gte swap later down the line. Would you guys recommend getting a shift kit instead? Any opinions would be appreciated? Thanks!

Tell him $5 bucks. :lol: i would find out how much a brand new one would cost, and then give him 55% of that for it. That is a pretty fair deal for a used tranny, unless it's beat. Then start knocking 5% off per 15,000 miles over 50K. If it needs a rebuilt nothing over 30%.

As for the second part of your question. I would say that's up to you. If you do a GTE swap, you might need to beef up your tranny a bit. A shift kit isn't going to do that for you. Really it boils down to what you want, but if you're going to do a AT-MT swap, AND do a GTE. I would personally wait until you do the GTE swap. Much easier with everything already torn apart, then doing it twice.

If you're going to do a trans swap get everything you need from his car now. Pedals, brackets, clutch, pressure plate, trans, trans x-member, shifter, shifter boot ( is the console the same?) may need driveshaft, and clutch master cylinder. Not a job for the faint of heart. I would suggest you take out the trans to facilitate putting it in. Offer him a couple hundred. You'll probably want to replace the clutch and pressure plate but they'd be nice to have to compare to the new parts. Have fun.

Its not that hard to do. Im doing mine right now, although im getting screwed on the quality of parts. If you dont have access to a lift or some way to get the car in the air then i wouldnt recommend it as it will get very hard very fast with the car on the ground. Otherwise everything is pretty much bolt in. Few cuts here and there, but nothing drastic

yea everything should bolt up you just need to drill holes in the fire wall and while your getting parts you should see if there are any differences between the harnesses and well take his computer too

bean:

got any pics on what you had to do or are doing while converting? i would love to see some ;)

Well, i was going to, but i got so ANGRY off about an hour into it i said screw it. Theres a few tricks to getting the clutch master cylinder and the pedal to come together, but that was about the only thing that had to be screwed with. I had to drill the holes for the bolts that were on the Clutch M.C. and i had to make a hole for the shifter, but other than that, everything was bolt on. I can get some after pictures if you like...just go into photoshop and flip 180degrees vertical and it will look normal for you guys

-Edit:I cant believe they bleeped me

so all in all It would be cheaper for me to go manual than to buy a set of coilovers. What's the estimated hours put into a project for this. I'm gonna have a couple of my friends help me. I'm gonna see if could get a couple days off of work for this one.

got a lift or you doin it on the ground?

do the tranny swap first(and take alot of pics! :D ) you will be much happier than jsut getting coilovers that you could get anytime.

functionfirst, i would just drop in the getrag 6-spd if you're gunna change from AT-MT and doing the supra swap. the 5spd tranny for the sc300 shouldnt cost you very much since a lot of the NA supra guys are going GTE conversions with getrag.

yea but the thing is he has all the stuff to do it now and he has two dirveshafts so while he is hunting for a 6 speed he can have the drive shaft lenghtened and there will be less down time.