Factory Maintenance Questions

My 2000ES300 is due for its 48,000Km (Canada) Service, which is probably equivalent to 30,000 Mile Service in States. I have a range of estimates from 3 Lexus dealers and 1 Toyota dealer. Two Lexus dealers gave me estimates of approximately $190. + tax without brake fluid and coolant flushes. Another quoted $358. + tax including the flushes. They differed as to whether the flushes were necessary or should be done only if inspection suggests the need.

Toyota dealer was offering a Spring special of $50. + tax for an equivalent Camry service. When pressed, service mgr said he saw no difference between the special and the usual 48K service for $102. + tax. He thought that flushes should only be done if suggested through inspection.

A few questions:

1. Are the flushes necessary at this stage?

2. Would the Toyota dealer's service be appropriate, and especially the Spring special?

By the way, Toyota will not be reimbursed by Lexus if they find items needed and under warranty. I have another 18 months left on the Lexus warranty.

Thanks

I would/did have the coolant flushed at 30k miles (at the advice of Lexus, as they said they are not trusting their "Long Life Coolant" to 60k miles).

I did have the tranny and diff done at the 30k.

Brake fluid flush at 30k is a coin toss, I had it done but it probabaly could have waited until the 60k.

If Toyota finds any warranty repair, don't have it done and then take it to the Lexus dealer to be done under warranty. Toyota is going to use the same fluids and filters as Lexus and the 30k is just fluid replacements.

Instead of just comparing prices, get a list of what is to be done and compare actual line items of service. Different dealers include or exclude different services on the 15, 30, 45, 60k, etc. services. For example, on the Camry is the tranny flushed? It is on the Lexus. I assume oil and filter is included with both. What about air filter, cabin filter, and wiper blades. They are on the Lexus 30k, are they on the Toyota 30k. Tires are rotated on the Lex, are they on the Toyota?

If you are good with a wrench, most of the serives can be DIY, thus leaving you with even a smaller bill at the dealership. I prefer to leave the tranny flushes, brake fluid flushes, and power steeering flushes to the dealer as disposal of these fluids is not as easy as motor oil and coolant. The local transfer stations (aka dumps) will only receive used motor oil and old coolant.

steviej

Toyota can do the work fine. you can tell yourself if you need new fluid althought every 2 years is good.

If the fluid is black or really dark or the pdeal is mushy then change it.

If you need warrenty work then don;t let them do it just take it to lexus after.

Which Lexus dealers & Toyota dealer are you considering jw? I'm also in the Toronto area & am just courious for possible future service at one of these dealers. I also agree with steviej, get a list of exactly what each dealer will do when performing the service & make your judgement based on that & the best value for your dollar. B) Prices you've mentioned however seem pretty reasonable. I take my 01 ES to an independent mechanic (does high end european & japanese cars) and is about a third cheaper than the dealers for labour & I bring him all the parts / fluids I want installed.

:cheers:

Thanks for responses.

Steviej and skperformance,

According to Lexus Canada Schedule, for general service, the only repacements are engine oil and filter, everything else is inspected including removal and inspection of air filter. At 48K, they suggest replacing brake fluid and at 32K replace engine coolant. The spring special from Toyota includes the same stuff as the 2 Lexus dealers who quoted without changing fluid or coolants. I certainly had every intention of going to Lexus for any warrantable jobs.

Lexusfreak,

The 2 lexus dealers quoting without fluid changes are Scarborough and Don Valley, and the one with the fluid changes is Northwest in Brampton. The Toyota dealer is Downtown. I bought the car as previously owned with 23K a year ago March from Scarborough, and they're only one that has its history. Interesting that lexus doesn't have a shared site for all dealers in case you have to use another dealer. However, I can understand why dealers wouldn't want to do that.

Where is your mechanic located?