Remote Start Lexus GX

Pat0000

I've had my Lexus for a year now, with Lexus Enform now expired.  Didn't realize that without subscription service to Enform, my remote start no longer works.  It's an option on much lower priced cars (GM, Ford, etc), but doesn't work on Lexus without a monthly pay subscription.  This seems inconceivable.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Lexus Enform was so difficult to use, I unsubscribed not realizing I'd loose this option.

Pat, I agree that having to PAY for remote start is ludicrous at this price point. We just bought a 2020 GX and were told by the dealer that there is also a remote start feature on the key fob.  You may want to check out that option and don't worry about the overpriced Lexus Enform.

• 6 months later...

The Remote Start from your Key Fob will also be disabled when you do not renew the Enform subscription. I also bought the GX 460 2020 model, becoming more disappointed by the day. It's ludicrous to pay for a subscription for a feature that works without it.
Also, what's the deal with the vehicle shutting off when you open the door?
Everyone raves about Lexus, so far, my Dodge is proving more satisfying both from a driving and customer service experience.

• 2 years later...

Just learned that the remote start on my 2017 Lexus GX 460 is no longer available because Lexus relied on 3G for its communication.  I had previously really enjoyed the remote start and was even willing to pay for the monthly Lexus Enform subscription because I live in a cold climate and for months out of the year it was really nice getting into a warm car that I could start from anywhere rather than line of site via keyfob.  Now even though Lexus Enform is no longer available, I have been told by the dealership that the keyfob remote start is not available either.  For a $60,000 vehicle, I honestly think it is ludicrous not to have these features and the brand loyalty that had been accumulated from my previous 2007 GX 470 has completely evaporated and for my next vehicle I will not only buy sooner, but I will also do way more research into what is included in the purchase price and what will be gouged out with subscriptions.  Lexus/Toyota should be absolutely embarrassed that this is even occurring and not only do I sense no regret, they do not have the decency to feel ashamed at the lack of features at the luxury level they are professing.

Drove my original GX 470 to over 260,000 miles, and loved my baby, but this is ridiculous and so disheartening that I will likely be switching after this winter while my current GX 460 still retains some trade in value

• 2 months later...

I am not 100% sure about this specific feature lock. Fwiw, mine is a 2012 model, I have never subscribed for these, but my key fob has remote start feature. The key fob itself looks different from the outgoing model.

It is unfortunate to see the car industry heading towards the subscription models. You already paid for all the hardware for these features and the manufactures are getting away with these software OTA lockdowns which, in my opinion, is just wrong. 

• 1 month later...

I purchased a 2019, in October of 2022.  The remote start from the key fob is built into all the GXs and works even without the monthly service. However, much like their Toyota cousins the distance you can be from the vehicle is in incredibly short, maybe 50 feet. The other issue is the activation is very finicky, press lock 3 times 2seconds apart and hold it on the third press. This can easily lead someone to think that it was disconnected. I used the app when it was free and it does works much better.