Waxy Film On Inside Of Headlights?

jscott300

I bought my 2000 RX300 used so I'm not sure what the previous owner or the dealership did prior to my purchase, but both headlights seem to have hazy, splotches on the inside of the headlight cover. Does anyone know how to remove the covers so I can clean them? Does anyone know what will work to clean them with? Has anyone seen this problem before?

• 1 year later...
I bought my 2000 RX300 used so I'm not sure what the previous owner or the dealership did prior to my purchase, but both headlights seem to have hazy, splotches on the inside of the headlight cover.  Does anyone know how to remove the covers so I can clean them?  Does anyone know what will work to clean them with?  Has anyone seen this problem before?

I currently have the same problem on in my lex and the only fix i've heard of is to buy a new headlight which is lame. I don't know if there is a way to take off the plastic cover to clean it.

These splotches are on the outside of the plastic believe it or not.

Get some Meguiar's ScratchX from Autozone etc. and use it on the whole plastic cover. They will go away and some of the dots from rock chips will go away too.

It took me a while to figure it out too! You may need to scrub really hard too, but they WILL come out. Use a clean cloth too, if there's any dirt on it, it'll scratch the plastic.

good luck!

LexKid is right. I originally thought it was condensation on the inside of the lense until I was waxing my car one day and decided to try the wax on the headlights. When I finished, they looked good as new. I still don't know exactly what causes the film, but I suspect it might be soap scum buildup from car washes. It seems to appear after I take my car through the laser jet wash a few times.

LexKid is right. I originally thought it was condensation on the inside of the lense until I was waxing my car one day and decided to try the wax on the headlights. When I finished, they looked good as new. I still don't know exactly what causes the film, but I suspect it might be soap scum buildup from car washes. It seems to appear after I take my car through the laser jet wash a few times.

When i used wax, it just got worse :(

The scratchX was the only thing that got rid of it for me.

Most of this build-up is on the outside of the plastic lenses as previously noted, but given enough time and exposure to wet weather, some of these vehicles also develop what is probably a condensation-based haze on the inside of the plastic lenses as well.

I keep the outside surfaces quite clear using plenty of elbow grease and a very small amount of non-abrasive soap scum remover made for bathroom fixtures on a moistened soft cotton rag. My wife's vehicle typically needs this treatment every couple of months or so, and this approach has worked quite well with no scratching of the plastic lenses since I've always used a clean rag right out of the washer/dryer.

The inside surfaces have much smaller areas of condensation. I'm not willing to attempt to break the seals at this point so unless the problem gets significantly worse, my plan is to continue to leave it alone.

Get some Meguiar's ScratchX from Autozone etc. and use it on the whole plastic cover. They will go away and some of the dots from rock chips will go away too.

It took me a while to figure it out too! You may need to scrub really hard too, but they WILL come out. Use a clean cloth too, if there's any dirt on it, it'll scratch the plastic.

good luck!

Good call, LexKid!! As soon as I read this I tried your procedure on my car. It was about 10pm at night I didn't have the ScratchX from Autozone, so I looked through my cleaners and found Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish. I basically applied the polish with my microfiber towels and polished away with some SERIOUS elbow grease. I've never polished soo hard in my life, but you're right. It took me about 30 mins on just one headlight, but it has greatly improved the lens and got rid of most of the "haze". Thanks! I suppose the ScratchX will work better than the deep polish though. Maybe I'll pick some up next time Im at the store. Cheers :cheers:

• 8 months later...

good luck!

I was doing a word search on the subject and found the above suggestion. I immediately applied the Meguiar's ScratchX on the exterior of the headlight lens and was quite surprised to see how clear the lens became. After all those months thinking the film was occurring inside, I'm really pleased with the results. This site is great. Helps for all the help.

good luck!

I was doing a word search on the subject and found the above suggestion. I immediately applied the Meguiar's ScratchX on the exterior of the headlight lens and was quite surprised to see how clear the lens became. After all those months thinking the film was occurring inside, I'm really pleased with the results. This site is great. Helps for all the help.

That's what we're here for ;) Welcome to the club :)