Have an GX470 that has been a trusted companion for 8 years with 190k. Has worked for my wife and three kids. Was hoping to get the last 18 months of use until my last kid went to college, but the rear air suspension system is totally gone and the dealer quoted me $5,200. Dealer came back and offered a “kit” that would convert to a standard suspension that would be $2,200, but the car still has another $2-3k of other repairs to get it back to “normal”. I put Almost $1,500 into the air conditioning system a few years ago and promised that would be the last major investment. I was surprised that the blue book value still says the car is work $10k. Should I repair and sell, donate or just call it a day and sell it for scrap? Not sure if I could sell it in its current state. It’s an “extra” car and no longer needed, but sucking up too much time and resources. Any recommendations or thoughts about next steps? Thanks

This is a common issue. If you’re handy I suggest a diy. The kits to convert them to struts in the rear are coming down in price but if a bag blew you can easily fix it for hundreds not thousands. The pump too. Besides, if it is an extra car you can always diy it over the course of several weekends. If not take it from the dealer and let some mechanic with a reasonable labor rate have at fixing it. I think your pricing there is way off unless at the stealership. They are great vehicles and definitely hold they’re value. Scrap on it would be 500-600 max? Hell im in TN and I’d come get it and fix it for that price man.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kie
      Hi!
      Have any you guys had a problem with the Rack&Pinion?
      I went to the car service around my house(Knoxville, TN). They told me mine is leaking and needs to be changed. 
      I'm having a hard time deciding to change or not because it cost like 1500$
      Do any of you have recommendations or any other place I should have service?

Thanks!
    • By ZAPP
      Reading the Wiki, and looking at CarComplaints.com and Edmunds, KBB, Cars.com reading extensively on owner experiences with the 09 and earlier LS460 it seems the smarter move is to buy the 2010-2012 iteration.  Is that true?  The changes seemed more than mere cosmetic with the 2010 refresh - paint changed, electronics [some], lighting, etc.
      And are the notorious "control arm" bushings, parts, etc still in play from 2010 ownward?  I do not want to be chasing driveability issues ad infinitum....
      your wisdom is greatly appreciated!

• By ZAPP
      Gang I'm not sure this is the best forum for such a topic;  2008 or 2009 GX470, as of now what is the recommended path for converting to a hard metal suspension system, all 4 ?  This will get mild offroad use on trips to remote areas, but 95% typical town & highway use, with quite a bit of rough 2-lane paved backroads.
      If I need to inquire elsewhere, links appreciated!
    • By itsdancarl
      I have a 1994 Ls400 with an odd suspension squeak. The squeak only happens when braking. Definitely not a brake squeak. The squeak sounds more like a chatter and gets louder depending on how fast I'm braking. But this squeak does not happen when in reverse. I've replaced the UCA on the driver's side because the ball joint boot was torn. Both front struts are brand new, and just today I took the sway bar bushings off and greased them. Sway bar endlinks don't have play, and the rest of the ball joints don't have play. Still the same noise. Any suggestions on what it could be?
    • By rmk
      I have purchased a 2004 ES330.  I have installed 225/50-17's on Lexus 7" wheels and am looking to tighten the ride (cut down the body roll, lean, nose-diving, etc).  I am looking at installing BC BR coilovers but am having trouble finding information on options for installing stiffer front and rear stabilizer bars.  Does anyone have information on this?