Tire Pressure

VBdenny

I guess I told you all that I bought a 99 Corolla last month for my daughter. When I drove it back from Jersey, it was all over the road. I wasn't happy. When I got it back I checked the tires pressure since I didn't have a pressure gauge with me. Well, all of the tires were at about 23pis except the right front which had 49psi.

After I adjusted them all to 32pis, it drives perfectly. Now I am very happy. I then check the tire pressures on all my cars and all were kind of low. The I decided to check the spare tire pressures as well. I had never check the Lexus spare and it had 6lbs. in it. Probably hadn't been checked in years since the valve is mounted down.

I felt ba because of all the driving I have done with it flat, and now my wife has the car in NJ and she had been driving with no air in the spare. Some husband huh.

Don't sweat it man. Nothing happened. All is well that ends well. Funny you mention this. I just read an article in Motor Trend on tires. The test drivers for tire companies were interview. Most of them are engineers. Anyways, long story short. They all agree, they would rather to have 5 pounds over, on every tire of course, than 3 pounds under manufacturer specification. Of coures, 49 on one and 23 on the others is like asking for an accident. Glad you made it ok.

VBDenny,

A good husband & dad you are - because it upset you to have tire "out of whack" for the girls you love..............

I'd feel the same way too ;) But let it go - and I doubt you'll forget to check them from now on :D

Tires always loose pressure over time. I check mine, including spare whenever the seasons change and anytime I'm going on a trip out of town.

But shame of me - because I've delayed getting new tires :( I'm down to 4/32" and they feel sluggish (H rated yokohamas). still a quiet tire, but you've reminded me I need to get on this - A family's safety is of the utmost importance!!!

agreed 99 :) What kind of tire pressure guage do you have by the way VB? Digital ones are fantastic & only about $10....they work great! Glad everything was ok too. :)

:cheers:

I've got the digital.....I like them!

only measures in 1/2 lb increments...........but that's OK

:cheers:

thanks everyone. yeah, I just felt like kind of an idiot for never checking the spare. I suppose that is because I have just about never had a flat tire. I am pretty good at checking tires when I change oil, but for some reason, the spare never came to mind. Oh well, the tires are good so it's probably not a big deal. I read somewhere that 90% of all tire failures occur in the last 10% of tread life. I usually change them before that.

I have a couple of tire gauges. A few stick ones, and a couple of anaolog dial. This new one I just bought has a trap feature so the needle stays at the highest reading until you press this button. I kind of like it. I've seen the digital gauges and they look like a pretty good idea. Do they just round to the nearest PSI, or do they have tenths?

This looks like a good place to ask this. :D . How do you check if you have an old tire? please. I don't have a tire pressure guage at home, are the expensive onces better than the cheap onces; my question is that is there a way that if I get a crappy one, that it will give me the wrong readings? Or are all of them the same?

humm........never thought about the spare. I hope I never encounter it neither; since I never changed a tire myself, but saw my dad do it several times when I was a kid.

My post reminded me of the movie: ‘A Christmas Story,’ the part where the family is coming back after purchasing the tree and they have a flat tire on the way back. And, Ralph goes out to helps his dad and his dad accidentally hits the bowl that Ralph was holding and the nuts fly everywhere and Ralph says: “fudddgggggggge” except that it was the real word. LOL.

I bought a nice one (analog) at Sears for about $7. I keep one in every car.

Very easy to use. I run 38psi in the big Lex, 32 in my Frontier, 34 in the Corolla, and 36 in my Caprice. You lose about a pound a month.

Hey what happens in england and canada?

Don't forget to check the tires each time you check the presure. Look for wear, damage, nails, etc. Michelin has a very good user friendly site at :

http://tires.michelin-us.com/mastapp/servl...e.care.MainPage

The "Tire Tool Kit" section is quite informative.

I run my LS430's tires at 35lbs. I use analog gauges from a local auto parts store and keep one in each car. Any quaestios, I simply compare readings.

Don't forget to check the tires each time you check the presure. Look for wear, damage, nails, etc. Michelin has a very good user friendly site at :

http://tires.michelin-us.com/mastapp/servl...e.care.MainPage

The "Tire Tool Kit" section is quite informative.

I run my LS430's tires at 35lbs.

The car rides and handles perfectly with 38psi. Gives a much firmer feel. I also noticed improved gas milage and better handling. I tried several settings over time found this to be the best for my preferences. The car has "T" rated Goodyear Aquatred 3's on it. I have no idea how V or H rated tires react.