Ls400 A/c Problem

admobis

Hi, All,

I have '94 LS400 and when the A/C unit is turned on, it blows out bad odor - mildew or kind of fungus - for about 2 to 3 minutes. I have replaced the both A/C filter and the air filter, sprayed A/C air cleaner into both intake vent (under the grill) and center vents, but still the A/C unit blows out bad odor. Did anyone have this prolem? Possible fix?

the smell is coming from your cooling unit otherwise known as the condensor(i think) its under the dash and sell to get rid of the smell you have to 1 change it out which is the least practical plus you have to recharge your system,2 try to expose it and dry it out or sparay some kind of mildew cleaner in or on it. or you could roll down your windows and drive with the air on without the ac being on (just the fan) and eventually all the water that can't escape will dry up and your mildew smell will be lessened or gone(if dry enough)

the smell is coming from your cooling unit otherwise known as the condensor(i think) its under the dash ...

The condensor is under the hood in front of the radiator ... the EVAPORATOR is inside the cabin.

:)

I have even worse problems. My A/C does not even work. Only hot air. Lexus said it needed a new evaporator. $500 parts and $300 labor, or was it $500 labor and $300 parts? Either way- it is not worth $800 to repair. I will drive my 89 Pontiac, or 92 Buick, both of which have working A/C's on hot days.

Living in Texas on the humid Gulf Coast, the smell problem coming from the evaporator is a well known situation. I went through all the spraying type solutions, and had no real luck. It seems that in Houston, we wear out the A/C from May through October, and then shut it off for 6 months. This is the problem.

When I figured out to run the A/C in the Winter occasionally, the problem went away. I know your weather in San Jose is different, but I'll bet the more you use the A/C, the better it will smell. All other solutions are too expensive.

Just set the thing to blower hi, recirculate, and its lowest setting and empty a can of lysol spraying towards the underside of the dash on the passenger side. BTW, stand outside the vehicle when you do this and make sure it is a decent lysol scent. Leave the windows down for the rest of the day and you should be fine. It will go through all the AC ducts and kill any odor. There is nothing else to fix it. Even a new evaporator might not get rid of it all.

• 2 months later...
Hi, All,

I have '94 LS400 and when the A/C unit is turned on, it blows out bad odor - mildew or kind of fungus - for about 2 to 3 minutes.  I have replaced the both A/C filter and the air filter, sprayed A/C air cleaner into both intake vent (under the grill) and center vents, but still the A/C unit blows out bad odor.  Did anyone have this prolem? Possible fix?

<_< I have similar problem with my '97 LS400. It is slightly better when A/C is switch to high or max cold but as the fan speed automatically slows down due to room temperature sensor then this unpleasant "Sweat" like smell blows out from front air vent ans somehow my both side of rear passenger vent blows out really strong smell so I usually turn off the rear A/C, furthermore, both rear passenger vent blows kind of rather warm air when front A/C is set on Max cold.

I have tried various types of odor eliminating sprays including ozone but did not help at all. Anyway, I will have Lexus service center to check and find the root of the problem and fix it for good perhaps I can share the solution after a week or two....and get rid of the smell all friends out there.

Once you eliminate the smell, there is a trick to preventing its return. When you think you are driving the car for the last time for the day, turn off the AC, but keep the fan on for a mile or two before you get home. This will dry the evaporator and the box it is in, and that will prevent a moist environment so the spores don't grow.

I had another thought. When you have the A/C on is it in the recirculating or fresh air mode? You want it in the "fresh air" mode as much as possible. After using the A/C and parking your car, does it drip water? If not, your drain lines might be plugged.

• 4 weeks later...

The AC smelled in my 93 LS 400 as well. I removed the cabin air filters and cleaned the lid that holds them in place, which was moldy, and cleaned the compartment they sit in which also had some mold. I used a compressor to clean the filters and and sprayed everything with some lysol. The lid, inside the filter compartment and the filters themselves. I sprayed the filters and let them dry 3 times.

I did this several weeks ago and the smell is totally gone. I'm sure this wont work for everyone but it definitely worked for me.

I had the same stale, stinky smell in my 93 LS400 last year on vacation with the family. I checked the a/c condendation drain and found it was clogged. The rubber hose is detachable (be careful alot of water can be in there). After getting a towel to dry off my entire head, I was able to remove the dirt and reinstall the drain hose. Haven't had a problem since. :cheers: