Paint Chip Protection

lajkonik

I bought a 3M kit and installed all the little pieces. Didn't want to attempt the hood. I only had the RX for about a year and had no problems. Looking back I'm sure I could have done the hood. I doubt if I would attempt the bumper.

I've had 3M Clearmask on my 99 RX300 for over a year. It goes across the hood and around the grill, and on the side mirrors. Haven't done the bumper as yet, although that's the area that needs it the most.

Mine was put on by the folks at www.clearmask.com. It is 3M's 8 mil think plastic, with an adhesive on one side. The Clearmask folks determine the front-end layout of various cars and develop a pattern. When a request comes in for a film set for a car, they cut it out of bulk 3M material using the appropriate pattern.

Personally, I believe in this stuff. I wish the whole car was wrapped in it. That would eliminate all those side dings. But on the front, it catches all those little road rocks that sandblast your front end all the time.

The stuff is put on basically like tint film. You use a soapy solution on the material and the car to slide around and position. Once in place, be sure the wrinkles and bubbles are pushed out. Look for more instructions on this.

The stuff can be pulled off a car later if needed, but don't be surprised if the area under the plastic is in better shape than the rest of the car !!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Where can you find this 3M chip guard.  I  live out in the country and have a collection of bugs on the front of my car.  Sounds like what I need.

You probably can check out www.clearmask.com and see if they ship oversea.

BTW, have anyone tried to get the self-installation kit from ClearMask and installed it by themselves? Is it actually do-able wihtout professional installation? I may wanna try it out but want to hear other people's experience.

Thanks!

I had Llumar film put on my 05RX about 3 weeks ago. I had some very large bubbles that all went away like they said they would. I also had the 3M product put on my headlights. Some have said this is not a good idea in that it could lead to premature burnout of the headlights because the heat does not dissipate. The film is rated to take up to 60 watt bulbs. In checking I found the RX high beam to be rated at 60 watts. I hope 3M has been conservative in their ratings. I very seldom use my high beams anyway. I have heard nothing but good reports about using the film for paint protection.

Time will tell I guess.

:cheers:

I had the dealer install ClearArmor on my 04 RX330 when I bought last Year. I believe that it's manufactured by 3m as well. It is holding up really well. I took a 1350 mile trip last summer & not a chip to be found. Great product.

Where on the car did you have it installed. Yes I would have it done by the dealer too. I did this for my current car and it has really held up. Believe I did partial hood and headlights. I would't want to mess with the 05 headlights. Did someone say they could burn out because of the film over them?

Anne

• 3 weeks later...

My dealer installs and warranties the product for 5 years against peeling, discoloring, and damage... so it's a no brainer to get it installed. I bought my RX 330 Flint Mica on Saturday and am getting the clear-guard installed on Monday. chips tend to show up on the dark colors easier..

Good way to protect investment. I'd rather see a thin eadge of clear covering than a goofy leather bra.. and especally better than seeing chips in the paint of my brand new car..

Christopher