Blackout Headlights

Mr. O

Hey has anyone blackout their headlights? i know a lot of other types of cars have it done and i was just wondering if anyone has done it. I think it would look great on a pearl white SC. Well if anyone has done it do you think you could share how it was done? If you have any pics that would be great too. thanks!

I know this probably isn't going to help you much, but i've had friends do it to their Vdubs. Golf III's and IV's.. Just crack open the headlight housing with a heat gun. Use some sort of flat black paint. (I think they just used spray paint) And get some Factory sealer and seal them back up. I moved away shortly after they did this, so I really don't know how well they lasted, but at 5 months they were still looking good.

I wish I had some pics to show you, but I don't. The one thing that I know they had trouble with was masking off areas and over spray onto the actual projectors. Obviously you would want to be a bit careful around those areas.

Hope that helps you out.

EDIT: Or were you talking about headlight covers? If you are, I don't know of any other way than either masking off some sort of design and painting the headlight housings exterior, or buying GTS covers. (Which I'm not sure if they make them or not)

sounds great! But thing about it is you'd have to black out your high beams as well (middle round lights) It takes a while to do. I did it when i had a civic. It was actually pretty fun. I actually baked the headlight for about 200 degrees for about 10 minutes. It's quicker than a heat gun. Pop the headlights apart. take the housing out primer and paint. Let it dry and reverse the process.

I don't know about the high beam lights though. Good luck. Keep us posted!

yea my friend with a 300 did it it looks ok because the cover isnt a clear plastic like say some jdm EK lights or like a s15 silvia. but well it does give you a different look. he used the boiling water trick. just pour it on and let the adhesive soften up and then pull it appart. you can use the oven method as mentioned earlier too. just be careful to seal it up properly when you put it all back together so your head light doesnt get water stuck in it and clowd up

i blacked out my headlights. use RC window tint paint, light will still shine through. i sprayed the outside, but if i were to do it again, i'd take apart the housing, clean it, then spray the inside.

• 2 weeks later...

im not sure if you want to know how to blacken out the lens or do the black housing like all those "JDM" headlights, but i got the jdm style look from my headlight by opening it up, and i found that you can just remove the chrome peice and the back is already black i just left the bracket holding in the projector. this looked really nice to me until i diddnt seal it correctly and it got fogged up. the blinkers arnt as bright anymore due to the lack of reflectiveness, but u can spray it if u wanted to. but i prefer the flat black thats there because it wont wear and tear and projectors dont need the reflective stuff really