Any Interest In Nascar?

VBdenny

Ha You aren't kidding about hoping things would last on that British junk. My roomie in college (with NO mechanical ability) had a 1968(or 9?) Triumph TR4A IRS. Fast little thing which almost got away from me a few times but I'll blame that on beer. Of course being British, everything broke. I replaced possibly every instrument gauge (after the big short incident), the transmission (after both first and second were gone) and the front rotor and wheel hub after the front tire passed us one night.

Story: We heading home from college (about 30 miles) and we are coming up a corner (Parker's Hill) and we see a tire go sailing by. Chris (my roommate) says "what the **** was that" then realises that it is his front tire at which point he uttered some biblical phase that began with Holy. Well the car (running on the rotor now) got all out of shape and we we lucky to bring it to a sparky finish a half mile from home (before cell phone). They used these stupid spinner methods to attach the wheel. I always thought it was an idiotic engineering tribute but I was then convinced.

I had a Ford Cortina. Oh man,tortured that one. Won't even go into the Miata other than to say new tires should last more than 4,000 miles and still pass inspection.

Yes, Smiths gauges notorious for breaking and the Laycock De Normanville transmission known for 1st and 2nd gear failures. As for the spin on nuts, well they worked when tightened properly, but a little scary. Oh and don't forget the overheating of British cars when not in their climate. But boy when it ran what a manly car with those big 15 inch wheels and all independent suspension. Until you had to stop and the hydraulics failed. As you can see I was very tuned to their cars, but heck it taught me cars and how to fix them.... so maybe shop 101 built into your own car.

Steve, you are going to have to take a rain check, er, ice check on a pic. It is 18 degrees here and I have an inch of ice on my driveway. I do have a cool pic I took last year that I will post when I get back on my big girl computer. It is pretty cool.

I had a 280Z. You talking about mechanical issues......SHEESH!!!! One day I left for work. First stop felt a little funny. Got to the second stop sign and I had zero brakes. Thank God it was a stick and I could gear him down and get him back home. Like Denny said, that was before cell phones. Clutch, fuel pump....it was always something.

There was a guy that had an RX7 that worked near where I did. I hate to admit that I used to street race, but when we came up next to each other it was game on. I always beat him. I used to be able to really drive a stick. I have lost my skills with age. Arrrrrg!!!!

I want to say something for the members of this club. I think it is awesome that we can all chime in on a thread like this and have differences of opinions and preferences and nobody acts like a big troll.

I have been on sites, I won't mention them, where someone would have gone off on someone else by now. This is really the only site I go to anymore.

I've been to other sites a couple of times for various cars and never found any worth a hoot. Guess I've been on here for about a dozen years. Very nice that we have this and I will admit to being totally astonished at the quality of this board over the years. Add to that the vast collection of experiences and technical knowledge, mix in a batch of driving experiences and there we go.

I love it.

Nascar is boring, Grand Prix is more interesting with the varying turns, hills, etc. Just my take. However I love cars racing. Being in the race would be cool.

Oh good a Chevy lover.....sorry, but Nothing sweeter than the sound of a Ferrari hitting the straight away on a Grand Prix course. Only other better sound is that of a Matra.... ^_^ ^_^

• Like 1

Thomas, I guess I have always just loved the kind of cars that I can afford. Ferrari, oh yeah. That is something I will never get to drive.

The other day I was walking into the grocery store and an SS Camaro idled by me. DROOL!!

Camel races? Now that sounds fun to watch.

I was thinking Harry Reid and John Boehner should get in a camel race in Nevada, since they both represent very well the Do Nothing Congress, with smoking/coughing breaks allowed of course, but I wont go there...

I'm digging the latest Mustang GT's around here running custom exhaust systems.

That's my favorite color (dark gray metallic, dark wheels) for the GT too.

IMHO I think the transition from Lexus to Mustang is easier than ever with the new 2015 model year only, it's nicely sized (not too big), seriously better interior, independent rear suspension, reasonable refinement.

Becki - btw, does your F-Sport IS250 have the F-Sport exhaust setup?

post-130421-0-36193200-1424293607_thumb.

Yup. That is the reason I had to have this particular car.

Here is that pic I told you about earlier. I thought it was pretty cool. They have ruined this old building by building on to it. I wish I could have gotten a better shot, but you can't park any closer to it.

post-148822-0-62516700-1424295164_thumb.

• Like 1

Looks great with F-sport wheels and suspension, and it firms up the handling too.

(Lexus did the track-testing and published results)

Consider the F-Sport exhaust (made by HKS for Lexus), it's nicely finished in ss, bolts on using existing hangers, etc. Sound is rich and semi-exotic and similar to the Italian Masi Ghibli (3.0L 60 degree V6 tt), sounds wicked at full throttle, quiet in cruise mode, worth every penny. I test drove a used IS350 equipped with exhaust at my dealership before buying it. Sunroof open (or convertible top down), the sound level to driver and passenger is enhanced.

post-130421-0-20261700-1424296839_thumb.

Now Becki. You KNOW I have that big ole Chevy Silverado. I was speaking of the content on their sites, not the vehicles. I always like to keep one V-8 around.

Hey, your cars look great! Love the white C.

post-1837-0-61091500-1424300317_thumb.jp