Do You Have To Do A Double Take?

13IS250C

Every time I see a real vintage muscle car, I have to do a double take. I saw a '70 Cuda the other day. I had to do a double take to see why the Challenger looked so funny and then I realized what it was. It was awesome too. I also have to do that when I see a real '69 Mustang and a real '69 Camaro.

I did the neck crank thing for a long time. Then went to the Syracuse Nationals a few times. ROWS of thousands of vintage cars. Needed beer to ease the pain in my neck. Too much to absorb in one event so I went for 5 years. Now we have moved on to Saratoga Springs event which is smaller and put on by Hemmings.

I really miss going to car shows. Car people are the nicest people. I love hearing them talk about their cars and how long they have had them and what all they have done to them.

One of the smaller towns around here has a really good one in the fall. There are even some normal cars like Lexie. If it is nice, and I can keep her flawless, I might put her in it just so I can walk around and visit with folks.

The second car show I entered my Z28 in was a huge 2 day show. My daughter and I were sitting there listening to them call the winners in my class. I didn't win 3rd or 2nd so we both looked at each other and stuck our bottom lips out. When he called me for first place we both squealed so loud that when I went up to get my trophy the guy asked me if there was a snake under my chair. Everybody cracked up. I REALLY miss it.

You are correct about meeting the nicest people. Over the years I've had a blast going to different car events, enjoyed talking to many different people and generally had massive amounts of fun. Winning an event must have been exciting.

This is one of the coolest awards I ever won and it was at the same show. The whole weekend is dedicated to earning money for kids with childhood diseases. Allison and I were standing by my car and this couple came up and started taking a lot of pics and wanted a pic of Allison and I by the car. It kinda creeped me out. I mean, Rambo was nice and all....but not that nice. They seemed like a nice couple so I went along.

When they gave out the memorial awards, this couple gave one to me in honor of their daughter that died suddenly. Turns out, she was looking at a car exactly like Rambo when they found out she was sick. Needless to say, Mr and Mrs Wilson and I were hugging and crying. It was one of the most memorable times of my life. That whole day was just an awesome day that I will never forget.

post-148822-0-57018600-1423840759_thumb.

• Like 1

OK Becki, that was my first cry for the day, God Bless you. And yes the old iron sure does turn my head. I was more into British sports cars during that era, but now I appreciate all of them.

Thanks Thomas.

I'll tell you some thing else sad about this show. It was a huge annual event. Two of the nicest ole country boys ran it. They both had ill children. This show would raise about $250k, in a weekend, all for their charity. There were all kinds of events like poker runs and stuff.

I don't remember which year it was, but they were having a burnout contest. There was this one guy and he was doing a burnout and the tires grabbed and the car went out in the crowd. I don't remember how many were killed but it was just horrible. I felt so bad for all involved. Like I said, just a bunch of good ole boys trying to do good and something went horribly wrong. I don't think they ever did a show again. If you google burnout, Selmer, TN, Cars for Kids, the article would probably come up.

If Selmer, TN sounds familiar, that is where Buford Pusser was from. Don't know if you ever saw Walking Tall.