Presetting Power Seat Positions

jweiss

Now that I've fixed my tranny problem, here's another challenge.

Followed instructions for presetting the 2 positions for drivers power seat, but no beep to indicate that computer has placed it in memory. Anyone else had that problem?

Also, does it really adjust the mirrors as well as the seat?

Thanks.

If you didn't hear the beep, then maybe you didn't do it right.

You have to have the key in the on postion and the shift in (P). Set the seat and mirrors(yes it does move the mirrors) to where you want.

Press the SET button and the #1 or #2 button simultaneously. I usually forget the simultaneaously part. You should hear a beep.

Now move the seat way off from where you are. Press the memory button you just programmed. See if the seat and mirrors move back. (It may be the audible beep maker thingie is broken)

The absolute musts are the key must be at ON and the car must be in PARK.

good luck,

steviej

Well,

Those are procedures I followed. I'll try again. Is the "beepy thing" related to a particular computer? I tried this procedure after disconnecting battery to change tranny setting, but no difference.

Steviej,

Tried it again with no success. I did notice that there is a problem with the buttons- while there is some spring to the Setting button, and a little less so for the #2 button, there is no spring to #1 button. That is, it seems to be stuck in the down position. I tried to spring it free, but don't want to jam it any worse.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I sprung the buttons so that is not the issue, however, the beeper doesn't beep, and the mechanism is still not working. Called my dealer to see what they have to say. To be honest, I've not been impressed with their knowledge of the car.

I have said this before, and I say it again.

When anytime anything electrical starts not working, always check your fuses. I don't recall mention of whether or not you did.

I say this only cause the tranny going funny and losing the seats may be related in that a common fuse may have blown.

In my ES ('02), the power seats and memory are tied into fuses #62, 41, 36, 33, 27. As I listed them, the fuses get more involved with other systems too, so if the fuse where out, I would expect more than just the memory position of the seats to be effected.

The last thought, is the power switch is down to the left of the seat base, right? Maybe some coffee or coke spilled and dried in the switch, thus causing the switch to stick and never make a connection. Resulting in no beep, no stored memory, no button function.

Try a healthy spray of WD40 to dissolve what is gunking up the works, then lots of compressed air to help the WD40 evaporate.

When all else fails, maybe the switch has to be replaced.

good luck.

steviej

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been so busy reading all of the new messages on the Board that I forgot to post that I was able to program the driving positions. I'm still amazed about how the mirrors move as well as the seat. Now, if only the rear view mirror would move as well....

Don't ask me why it worked when I did the same thing several previous times. I did check with lexus about fuses before I was able to program. The service rep seemed to be just as cowed over the myriad # of fuses in my 2000ES. Happy not to have to go that route. Thanks for good advice- who knows- I may have to go back to it.

jw, In my dad's LS400, the seat, mirrors, steering wheel, seatbelt anchor height and headrest position are tied to the memory. I wish the ES300 did that!

I know it sounds dumb, but are you sitting with your foot on the brake? If the brake is engaged, no part of the memory system will work. You have to be idling (or have the accessory on) in park with no feet on any pedals. When my dad got his LS in 98 it mystified me why the seat wouldnt work for me. I just couldnt make it work. Then my dad would sit down, and it would work. I'd sit down, wouldn't work. Drove me INSANE, I thought it didnt like me ;)

I was sitting with my foot on the brake. Once I stopped doing that, it worked. My dad and I looked like two total idiots in the driveway changing places and moving the seat al around until he finally proclaimed "your foot! Take your foot off the brake!" Thats what it was. Of course, figuring this out finally brought on lots of hurrays and high fives, the neighbors probably thought we were insane...

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

Thanks for the tip about the brake. I don't know if that's the reason I was finally able to set the positions, but it's as good as any explanation.

Do you prefer the LS over the ES? I guess rear wheel drive is getting more popular of late, what with Infiniti and Volvo trying to outdo BMW and Lexus.

Probably what it was ;)

I LOVE the LS. Its probably my favorite car on the road. Its what got me turned on to Lexus, I'll probably never drive anything else. If I'd been comfortable enough that I could handle the $1000+ payments I would have gotten an LS430. Basically what I set out to do was find the best car for around $40,000 that most closely approximated what I love about the LS, the smooth quiet ride, and the feeling of heft and quality. I drove just about everything in this bracket, including the GS3 Lexus and BMW 5 series (too sporty for what I was looking for) and by far the new ES comes remarkably the closest. When they say "Baby LS" they're really not kidding. I considered a CPO 2000 LS, but I have a slight character flaw that makes me want the latest thing, so I wanted to go with a new car.

As I've driven the ES more, and become more acquainted with it, I like it more and more. It rides great, not as smooth as the LS, but it feels lighter and more maneuverable. I hope that better tires will close the smoothness gap a little bit, I think they will. Its dead quiet, I think the LS and the ES are just about equal here. As for FWD vs RWD I can safely say that I dont really drive the car in such a way that I notice a difference. The FWD in the ES is very well done with no torque steer. What I miss most about the LS is the power.

I also think that the ES tends to fit more into where I am in life now. I'm still a 20something, and I suppose my girlfriend was probably right that the LS tends to look like an older person's car. I argued that the average ES driver is almost as old, but she is right, its a little less "staid".

If I had it all to do again, I'd definately get the ES as opposed to saddling myself with the payments on the LS. Next time though, when my business has grown more out of its youth, I'll probably get into an LS.

thanks for responses. I always think the LS looks like the Acura RS, a great, but bland car.

joining this bulletin board had blown a number of my original conceptions about the car and the owners. amazed that there are so many young people who own them, even if they buy older models. and the amount of detailing that people are into- blows me away. Not so many old farts as I would have thought. i presumed i was one of the younger ones, but i suspect i'm the oldest !Removed! on this block, or bb

lol,

im in my early 20's too. i love my es but i always want more (i.e. the power and stile of GS). My dad still wants to drive my car when he takes business people to lunch :lol: The great thing about lexus is how it is age blind. One of my customers is in her late 60's and has es too, and we both say how much we love them! B) We got good cars mates, plain and simple!

~ProZac~

the LS is a great car. it's powerful, and even though sometimes you see some early '90's models, they don't lose their style. i'm 16, and i've got a hand-me-down '93 ES300. it's a great car for a first. maybe even too much in my opinion. there have been many instances in which people have asked my mom if it was a new car. sure i love the ES for it's comfort and adequate city power, but i've always had my eye set on a SC300/SC400. still trying to find one for a good price.

but the LS is an AWESOME car. and there really aren't that many old folks that drive them... or that i've seen. :)