mrberto

I own a '02 ES300 but think the least attractive part of the car is the grille. Does anyone know if any parts from later model years ('04-'06) will fit my car? I also like the newer tail lights and head light assemblies as well. What fits what, and what mods need to be done?

Would also like to know if I can swap out my 16" wheels for a more attractive set of Toyota/Lexus 17" or 18" wheels. Is the backspacing the same on certain models?

I'd like to hear what you know and even see pics of mods and upgrades that you have done. Tons of questions and the possibilities seem endless.

Thanks.

mrberto,

The 2002 to 2006 ES's all share the same body parts, grills, door handles, etc. Certain years change the looks of the tail lights, although they are the same size and exterior shape. The 17 inch wheels will be a direct swap for your 16's. Aftermarket grills, tail lights, etc., may be available, but you'll have to do some shopping around because there are very few if any.

That said, my advice would be to leave the car alone and save your money for maintenance issues down the road. There shouldn't be many, but if there are, expect to pay very big bucks for parts that can only be purchased from Lexus, and no, your Toyota dealership can't get you the Lexus parts.

Our previous Lexus was an 04 ES330 purchased new and just traded for a 2011 ES350 in the last 2 months. The 04 was a great car, and absolutely loaded with every available option that year. Other than routine maintenance (oil, tires, brakes, wiper blades) it only gave us expensive problems twice.

Three years ago the motorized headlights quit working. I diagnosed the problem back to the motor sensor activated by the passenger rear suspension. As the car floats up and down over road dips, the suspension sensor would raise or lower the headlight beams so oncoming drivers wouldn't be blinded. The sensor, half the size of a Zippo lighter, and just basically a volume control, was a $600 part strictly from Lexus.

In the last year, the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor went south and put the car into limp mode. Since our car had the Power Pedal option with memory, the 6 wire sensor only came available with the entire Power Pedal assembly as one entire unit. You can not buy it separately. Not only was the pedal assembly (brake pedal, gas pedal, brackets and motors) almost $1000, but to change out the assembly means pulling the entire dash and the steering column to change it. Imagine your dealership charging you for that work.

Its your money and you can spend it any way you want, but my advice would be to save your dough for the gas, insurance, and maintenance. Its a classy ride. Why mess with it?

Very good advice! I have no plans on going overboard or spending big bucks at all. I have a friend in the car biz and can get a few things for pennies on the dollar. Just figured if I could snatch a part or two that I like a little better, I'd go for it. Thanks for the fitment info. Much appreciated.

mberto,

I neglected to add that a search on eBay for your year will yield all kinds of aftermarket parts, some of which are a joke, some of which, according to one's taste, may be what you're searching for.

Its also a good place to get an idea of what used parts are available, and from where. As to that headlight leveling sensor I referred to in my previous post, I found a used one from a California wrecking yard for $150 including shipping, and I had it in 3 days. Its a good exercise to do, because it'll give you an idea as to what is out there, and what the probable costs will be, particularly when the parts are for an older car. Good Luck in your search!