Cost Of Cvt & Differential Flush Rx400H

Hi all,

Have any of you had the CVT and rear differential fluids flushed on the 06-08 RX400h AWD?

So far i've contacted my nearest Toyota dealer and they responded:

I can't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to
complete the transmission and driveline services on your Lexus. The cost of the
trans fluid exchange is $269.95, the differential fluids are
$279.11.

But Lexus hasn't gotten back to me yet. Do these numbers sound right to you??

I'm a newcomer to these cars and this forum, but over $500 for a transmission & differential oil change sounds a bit high to say the least. You could call and ask what it costs for a Toyota Highlander (essentially what you're driving) as a "test". I just did this service on my Miata using the best synthetic fluids (cost $60) and labor ($40).

Also, seems like the description "flush" is frequently hype and a cover for exhorbitant prices.

My $0.02

Well, my service advisor at Lexus e-mailed me back with:

Trany flush 269.95 diff service 199.95 and I will help you with some discount.

What's that mean? What's a differential service?

Are flushes specified in your maintenance booklet? Isn't just a simple "drain and refill" specified every 60,000 miles or 72 months but only if your vehicle is primarily used for towing?

I certainly wouldn't do a flush. But if you decide to, be sure to also have the air in your tires changed.

Complete rip off....The rear is just like an old fashioned differential drain and fill only....1 quart of fluid takes about 10 minutes... So $10 bucks in fluid and one hour of labor????? As for the front you get out over 80% of the fluid with a drain and fill. take 4 quarts of WS fluid and the huge labor of removing a drain plug and refill plug...again just like the cars of old with the old style differential. Wow real rocket Science....Total cost should be 1 hour and $60 bucks worth of fluid....They are totally ripping you off....

What does your owner's manual state? As 1990LS400 mentioned, the change interval(s) should be in there. I think 90,000 is the transmission fluid change interval.

Read this thread and see my samples of fluid at the change interval of 89k.....The front transaxle was quite dirty brown....I would highly suggest changing. The manual is very vague about change interval but I believe it is around 90k.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/68738-cvt-rear-differential-fluid/page-2#entry467716