Front License Plate

rarepork

Proud owner of new 2003 IS300. The dealership didn't deliver my

car with the front license plate on. After looking at the front bumper

I see why. There's no logical, neat looking place to mount it. This is

unusual to me because most cars have a molded bumper or some type of black bracket/box to properly mount a plate. Does anyone know if Lexus makes something I can use to mount my front plate that looks good?

rarepork

I know what you mean, I just bought mine too. If you look real close at the front bumper you will see two tiny dimples where HOLES will be drilled to rivet the bracket on. The bracket should be in the back of the car under the floor. When you go back to the dealer to get your real plates put on, they will install it.

I am dreading that day. Take a few pictures from the front without the plate so you can remember how good it looked.

It TX it's illegal to run without the front plate and the cops are pretty rude about it. :blink:

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look for that bracket. It's also illegal in Illinois

to drive without a front plate. I just got my first ticket the other day. $30. Oh well

maybe it's worth it to pay the tickets.

rarepork

m. gross

illinois

rarepork, you got a ticket for not having the front plate on immediately? isn't there a way to take it to court, show you have put it on now, since it was a new car, and get the ticket dismissed? most of the time that works here in tx.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rarpork,

I got my '03 IS300 fresh off the boat in early February. The dealer, or whoever, should've put something on for you since it is required by law. I'd have a talk with my Lexus sales guy if I were you to make sure they mount it on for you properly.

Good Luck with it.

-Mac

• 3 weeks later...
Proud owner of new 2003 IS300. The dealership didn't deliver my

car with the front license plate on. After looking at the front bumper

I see why. There's no logical, neat looking place to mount it. This is

unusual to me because most cars have a molded bumper or some type of black bracket/box to properly mount a plate. Does anyone know if Lexus makes something I can use to mount my front plate that looks good?

rarepork

Check your turnk. You should have received a mounting bracket with the purchase of the IS. Also the dealee should have asked you if you wanted it mounted or not. In some cases they even have you sign a statement saying the you the owner did not want the bracket installed. In short, check your trunk for the install kit. If you did not have the kit just go back to the dealer and request it. It is the law, not matter what state you live for the Lexus dealer to supply you with this kit. Or just leave it off. However, just to give both sides of the coin, you could get a ticket for no front plate. Keep us post. Good Luck :cheers:

Hi !

Depending on your State, you may not have to put a front plate on. You only really need it when you get the car inspected annually. It looks much better with it off. When you Do get the car inspected, clean the bumper and use 2-sided tape to hold it in place. Remove when inspection complete and out-of-site of inspector.

Hello All,

I did some more diging on this topic. It is not legal for any vehicle to not dispaly a front plate. The thing is this, the ticket issuing officer may or may not issue a violation ticket. Ususaly when an officer gives a no plate ticket, it is due to the actions of the driver. Even corvettes and other high end sports cars should have a front plate. In short, front plates must be displayed but officers will not issue a ticket just for a non-display of a front plate.