I've been enjoying my new Lexus ES 350 - my first Lexus - for one week. I am intrigued by S Mode Driving but am finding very little information on it in the owner's manuals or elsewhere. I'm referring to the ability to indicate S1 through S6, not Sport Mode.

What does S Mode Driving do?

Why would a driver use it? Is it just for fun or does it have other purposes?

Does using S Mode impact gas mileage?

Can I damage my transmission if I use it incorrectly?

What else do I need to know?

Please share your knowledge or experiences with me. Or point me in the direction of other resources that can explain this more fully.

Thanks,

Dan

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I'm not sure about the 300h Rick, but the 2013 ES350 has 3 transmisson settings in addition to the "Stick Shift' feature you explained. There is a dial on the center console that allows you to set the acceleration, handeling, and air conditioning operation based on the type of driving situations you are facing. The modes are Eco, Normal, and Sport. The descriptions for all three are in the 2013 ES350 Owners Manual.

Dan, using these features will not harm your transmission. There supposed to be used. That's why their there. Yes, if your driving in the Sport mode all the time you will be running the engine at higher rpms sometimes and that will hurt your mpg.

If you turn the dial to Eco setting it will help use less gasoline. It's programed to run the engine and other components at economy levels.

For exact information go to page 296 of the 2013 ES350 Owners Manual. Everything I just said is written there.

Please come back and let all of us know if you have any questions.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Thanks, Paul and Rivk. My original post is specifically about the S-Mode, not the Eco/Normal/Sport setting.

From everyone I've talked with since my original post a few months ago, the S-Mode seems to be a feature with no real practical use. Yes, I can control - within limits - when my car shifts from 1st, to 2nd, etc and sometimes it's fun to play with this. But, I'm told, there are protections built in to keep me from hurting the car, for example, by running the RPMs dangerously high. Also, I'm told, if I ever really need to accelerate the car quickly to get out of a tight spot, the car will respond equally well whether I'm in S-Mode or not.

I'm left with the impression that the S-Mode is just a toy (not that I mind toys).

Dan

• 5 months later...

Dan S -Mode is not a toy. I use it most of the time in the city. It tightens up the steering for less play, it feels like you have more control for in and out of traffic. Even on the highway when my hands get tired I noticed less strain using it. And my older kids wish they had it.