Headlight Condensation

jzahar

After driving my 04 RX for over two years, I just noticed for the first time that there were moisture condensation inside my adaptive headlights. The dealer replaced both of them and had the data dots put on while at it. Absolutely no charge! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
I have a similar problem, but I don't think it's condensation.  I have what appears to be a dirty, hazy buildup on inside of light cover.  I've used a Meguiar's plastic polish on it before but it did nothing.  I've assumed, therefore, that it's on the inside of the cover as opposed to outside.  But from what I've read across several threads, it's not easy to clean.  I've heard of one method where you heat the light assembly in the oven and pry apart to clean inside.  This seems like asking for trouble to me, but I would love to have a crystal clear headlight.  I'm curious how your "condensation" looked?  Mine definitely looks like its on inside, but I could be wrong.  Also, where can you get this Novus cleaner?  I'm not excited about spending more money on cleaners that aren't really designed to fix my problem. 

Any other advice?

I have the exact same problem on my Lexus. The passenger side headlight is crystal clean. The driver side headlight has hazy build-up. I thoroughly cleaned the ourside of the light, however it does no good and I've come to realize that build up on is the inside. Does anyone know if there is a way to take off the plastic cover of the headlight so i can get to it and clean it?

any help is appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
After driving my 04 RX for over two years, I just noticed for the first time that there were moisture condensation inside my adaptive headlights. The dealer replaced both of them and had the data dots put on while at it. Absolutely no charge!  :cheers:

What are "data dots"??

After driving my 04 RX for over two years, I just noticed for the first time that there were moisture condensation inside my adaptive headlights. The dealer replaced both of them and had the data dots put on while at it. Absolutely no charge! :cheers:

What are "data dots"??

Its this new computer chip that they put in the headlights of Rx330s that are available in some states after hearing of thiefs stealing headlights...If someone steals one, the data dot acts as a tracer type thing. Correct me if im wrong. :blink:

Yes the data dots make the headlights tracable so that police can prove they were stolen and not just anyones lites. This is a response to HID thefts mainly in NJ and NY. A theif can do thousands of dollars of damage in stealing the HID's. The data dot program also includes installing brackets that secure the lites to the car so they cannot be removed in a usable condition. As far as i know it is available to any Lexus rx 330, and rx 400h owner installed free at the dealer.

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem, but I don't think it's condensation. I have what appears to be a dirty, hazy buildup on inside of light cover. I've used a Meguiar's plastic polish on it before but it did nothing. I've assumed, therefore, that it's on the inside of the cover as opposed to outside. But from what I've read across several threads, it's not easy to clean. I've heard of one method where you heat the light assembly in the oven and pry apart to clean inside. This seems like asking for trouble to me, but I would love to have a crystal clear headlight. I'm curious how your "condensation" looked? Mine definitely looks like its on inside, but I could be wrong. Also, where can you get this Novus cleaner? I'm not excited about spending more money on cleaners that aren't really designed to fix my problem.

Any other advice?

I have a similar problem, but I don't think it's condensation. I have what appears to be a dirty, hazy buildup on inside of light cover. I've used a Meguiar's plastic polish on it before but it did nothing. I've assumed, therefore, that it's on the inside of the cover as opposed to outside. But from what I've read across several threads, it's not easy to clean. I've heard of one method where you heat the light assembly in the oven and pry apart to clean inside. This seems like asking for trouble to me, but I would love to have a crystal clear headlight. I'm curious how your "condensation" looked? Mine definitely looks like its on inside, but I could be wrong. Also, where can you get this Novus cleaner? I'm not excited about spending more money on cleaners that aren't really designed to fix my problem.

Any other advice?

Hey, can you send me the link to the instructions for removing the headlight covers via the "oven baking" method? I had it at one time and I seemed to have lost the link.

Thanks!