2012 Rx350 Remote Start Duration

The remote start off the key fob works great but automatically shuts the engine off after 8-10 minutes, hardly enough time to warm up the vehicle when its 5 below zero like it is this morning. Is this warm up time extendable? I checked the manual and couldn't locate the topic at all. Thanks.

From what I've read, the limit is 10 minutes without remotely starting the engine a second time for 10 minutes more run time and cannot be extended -- maybe to keep the death rate down among those who accidentally, or are stupid enough to, remotely start their engines while their vehicles are parked in their garages. Here is a link with information about the RES+ system: https://www.lexusres...ct-features.jsp

Here is a link to the RES+ owners manual which states that the engine can be remotely started only twice before requiring a manual start: https://www.lexusres...IDE_KEY_FOB.pdf I find this manual especially amusing since the vehicle it shows is a 97-98 Camry like my wife recently passed to her nephew after driving it from new.

Ten or twenty minutes seems adequate to me. Idling an engine is an incredibly inefficient way to warm it and the vehicle interior. A minute or two of driving will warm an engine more than 10 minutes of idling.

Does your RX have "butt warmers" that turn on when the engine is remotely started? Ten minutes should make your seats quite toasty.

That is one of the most complained about features, I do think every one has signed in to the have it your way lifestyle. This is a feature of convenience and because the lack of accountability in our society there is a limit.

The aftermarket has embraced the smart phone and remote start systems, although I do not suggest them, they are free from manufacturer based resposibilties .

The RES plus is super cool , but as always, add the subscription, the application, the cost of XM and the app suite, are the added expenses worth it ??

Hi James. I can appreciate what your saying. When your a manufacturer, the one thing you can't enginer into the auto, is common sense of the user. So you end up compromising to compensate for that lake of common sense.

But I do agree with Don. When it's -15 below, it takes a good 15 to 20 minutes to warm the cabin. As you all know, in those areas of our country where those near to below zero temps are the norm, we/ they often have to put engine heaters in the cars and keep them plugged in overnight so the engine will turn over and start in the morn. If you have a garage your good to go.

I just had a aftermarket remote-starter installed in my 2013 ES350 last Friday. It is configurable from 10 to 20 minutes run time. I bought it from my Lexus dealer and they installed it as well. They carry multiple brands and features because the Lexus OEM remote is simply one of those "Compromised" products that a manufacturer.

This is my third aftermarket remote on a Lexus, and another on my wifes S80 Volvo. They all are adjustable for length of run time.

Paul