Is-350 Burning Oil, Is That Possible?

I have a 2007 IS-350 that was purchased from my sister-in-law. She bought the car new and she's a pretty conservative driver. It started around 60k miles, the low oil light was coming on every 1000-1500 miles. I would check the oil level and it would be at least one quart low. Top it off and 1000-1500 miles later, it would be low again. She changes the oil every 3000 miles. I have also changed the oil for her in the past and have always put the exact amount of oil (6.7 quarts).

The car has around 83k now and it's still doing the same thing. I park it in the gargage and I don't see any signs of an oil leak from anywhere. Other than that, the car drives without any issues. No black smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

Is it normal for this car to be burning oil just from daily driving? Has any one experience this issue with their IS? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Nook and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club !

Can't say I'm very familiar with the IS other than the few times I've had it for a loaner. However using/loosing that much oil in that short of time span is definately not good. You say there is no black smoke out the tail pipe, I would be more inclined to look for a white to gray smoke if it's passing throught the combustion chamber.

I can't guess what might be the problem, but you need to have it looked at ASAP. Either by your Lexus dealer or a qualified and experienced independant mechanic who has worked on Lexus before.

Please write back and let us know what you find out. Also, someone else today might chime in with some better solutions.

Paul

Thanks for the quick responses. Burning almost 2 quarts between oil changes is becoming a bit of concern. The oil has to go somewhere? I may have to make a trip to the dealer. Anyone else with similar experience?

• 2 weeks later...

If it has a PCV valve (positive Crankcase valve) change it...You might be building up to much pressure and the valve is a cheap way to find out.

the valve cost about $7.20 from Rock Auto.com...but can be bought from Toyota or Lexus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My IS250 is using about 1.5 qt of oil every 5000 mile oil change ever since I had it. Have to put about 1 qt in it at about 3000 miles. Bought used and only at 65,000 miles now.

I was told this is normal, but I don't know..

There is no smoke, no oil in coolant, no check engine light.

^Although that kind of oil usage is not common, the dealer will not do any repairs for that kind of oil consumption because it's still considered to be acceptable.

The 2IS is a naturally aspirated engine and should not have excess oil burning. Take it in to a reputation mechanic to have a look ...or the stealership if you don't mind paying the premium for inferior service.

but also since the car is a little aged, you can try switching up your engine oil

e.g. if factory recommend 5W20, maybe try 5W30 so it's a thicker liquid and therefore won't burn as fast

The 2IS is a naturally aspirated engine and should not have excess oil burning. Take it in to a reputation mechanic to have a look ...or the stealership if you don't mind paying the premium for inferior service.

but also since the car is a little aged, you can try switching up your engine oil

e.g. if factory recommend 5W30, maybe try 5W20 so it's a thicker liquid and therefore won't burn as fast

5W20 is thiner than 5W30. Higher the number, higher viscosity is.

Also, putting thicker oil will reduce fuel economy.

I have a 2007 IS-350 that was purchased from my sister-in-law. She bought the car new and she's a pretty conservative driver. It started around 60k miles, the low oil light was coming on every 1000-1500 miles. I would check the oil level and it would be at least one quart low. Top it off and 1000-1500 miles later, it would be low again. She changes the oil every 3000 miles. I have also changed the oil for her in the past and have always put the exact amount of oil (6.7 quarts).

The car has around 83k now and it's still doing the same thing. I park it in the gargage and I don't see any signs of an oil leak from anywhere. Other than that, the car drives without any issues. No black smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

Is it normal for this car to be burning oil just from daily driving? Has any one experience this issue with their IS? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a problem to me, but probably with no easy fix. If you are lucky, something like blocked PCV system causing some internal pressure might do it. My 250k LS still doesn't burn oil.

e.g. if factory recommend 5W30, maybe try 5W20 so it's a thicker liquid and therefore won't burn as fast

5W20 is thiner than 5W30. Higher the number, higher viscosity is.

Also, putting thicker oil will reduce fuel economy.

Yeah that's what I meant, 5W20 to 5W30, not other way around.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with oil usage on my 2006 IS 350. Lexus claims it is normal to burn up to a quart of oil every 600 miles. The dealer did an oil consumption test on my car and said everything was okay and consumption is normal so I'm not worried about it anymore. They gave me a printout about how to check and add the oil (in case I didn't know). They also checked the car to see if they could find any other problems since I had an extended warranty. They said everything was fine. I just check the oil and put it in when needed.

I have the same problem with oil usage on my 2006 IS 350. Lexus claims it is normal to burn up to a quart of oil every 600 miles. The dealer did an oil consumption test on my car and said everything was okay and consumption is normal so I'm not worried about it anymore. They gave me a printout about how to check and add the oil (in case I didn't know). They also checked the car to see if they could find any other problems since I had an extended warranty. They said everything was fine. I just check the oil and put it in when needed.

How many miles before you have to add a quart?

How many miles before you have to add a quart?

I had about 83,000 miles on the car. It happened last year. The document the Lexus dealer gave me said oil consumption up to 1.1 quarts per 600 miles would be acceptable (to Lexus). They ran all types of tests on the car before concluding the car was okay and I didn't have to worry about the consumption. They did this all free and gave me a loaner car as well. Here is a link to the document they gave me:

http://www.mastersdi...us/lexusOil.pdf

PS - I guess I didn't answer your question. I drive about 1000 miles before adding a quart (more or less). It seems to vary and I add oil when it gets about half way down the stick (NOT A FULL QUART AT THAT POINT). I don't like letting the oil get too low.

I've owned various Porsches in the past and most of them used oil, so I'm use to it. I just didn't expect Lexus to be the same.

Agreed, I've owned 3 and they all used some oil.

What year is your current Boxster?

I've owned various Porsches in the past and most of them used oil, so I'm use to it. I just didn't expect Lexus to be the same.

Agreed, I've owned 3 and they all used some oil.

What year is your current Boxster?

2013 Boxster S - I tried to find a photo of my Lexus but they must be on my PC at work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, my Lexus IS 350 is still using oil. Not sure it is really "burning" oil since I don't see any smoke out the back. I just routinely check it and add oil when it gets low on the dip stick. Everything else is fine on the car. I have a friend that has a Toyota Camry with the same problem. My previous Lexus had 180,000 miles and never used any oil.