Potential Gs 2013 Issues

pj8708

Had a conversation with a local Lexus GS 2013 tech regarding his first imprestion of the new car. His number one concern was the hurrendous reliabilaty and replacement cost with all of the new technology. Specificaly the dash instruments could be great, or like some first year edition's, could be a night mare. It is my understanding that the whole panei has to be replaced when something goes wrong.

The tech who does the alignment, hates the fact that Lexus is putting Dunlap tires on the car. He claims they always wear on the inside and are impossible to keep in alignment.

Just a few tid-bits.

I agree completely. As the engineers try to make these new technologies more "efficient", they lose out on reliability. This can most clearly be seen in some of the new "fuel efficient" engines being put in cars today. They get great fuel economy, but they break down easily. And as new features are added in cars, weight goes up so they try to use lighter materials which of course don't hold up as well.

I wish a car manufacturer would design a car and keep "fixing" things on it as years pass, without having to re-design it after 5 years. For example, can you imagine how reliable the LS400 would be today if they kept the same design as the 1990 but only modified it as we learned which parts needed to be stronger? It would without a doubt be the most reliable car in existence, and not to mention one of the cheapest!

And i second the fact that Dunlop tires don't wear very evenly. When i removed my summer tires (which are Dunlops) in the fall, both front tires were worn only on the inside, so much so that the fabric was showing through! The car was aligned just fine so i have NO idea what happened...

I'd really like to see a 2012 LS400... if Lexus kept the same car and just fixed the 3 things that often failed, it would be a "super" car! I mean they do it with airplanes, why not cars? The 737 looks the same as it did when the first one rolled out in 1967, they just perfected it over time.

Thanks for the headups Paul. Was kinda considering the GS as a replacement for my 528i lease but more than likely I would just lease the GS if I were to commit myself to one

I don't agree completely. My opinion is that the new GS350 will be very reliable (separate from the tires that is). I don't see the new technology as a problem as long as the reliability and durability testing is done right. I often have low opinions on OEM tire choices offered by many auto makers.

I'd really like to see a 2012 LS400... if Lexus kept the same car and just fixed the 3 things that often failed, it would be a "super" car! I mean they do it with airplanes, why not cars? The 737 looks the same as it did when the first one rolled out in 1967, they just perfected it over time.

Because nobody would buy it. Airlines don't buy airplanes because they are stylish, people buy cars because they are. You have to constantly evolve the styling in order to compete with everybody else who constantly evolves their styling.

I wouldn't be worried about reliability personally.

Remember, these comments are from technichians, who when given new technology, are as smitten as you an I. On the other hand, since their the ones who have to fix them when something goes wrong, it is only natural for them to look at all the possible weaknes's as well.

As for the warranty covering the cost of repair, it dosen't cover the amount of hassle factor involed.

I had already noticed the source of the original comment before I commented and discounted it accordingly. So far we have no evidence of warranty claims and related inconvenience. I expect the reliability to be consistent with Lexus cars of recent history.

But we do see more first year reliability problems nowadays than we used to. Think about the issues with the 07 ES and LS, and the more significant issues with the 06 GS.

Yes, first year issues do come up (as they have for years). Some companies (like Lexus) handle them better and still have fewer than average. Other companies (like Ford) have far more first year issues. Better and more thorough durability and reliability testing prior to production release makes a difference, even Mercedes has proven that (after years of terrible reliability in 2000-2007 ). New GS350 issues have yet to be documented, maybe they will come up but too early to say.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Just bought my GS 350 2013 today. Actually it was a lease. I had before a ES 2007 owned and had some issues with it. I really hope to have the less issues with him, but I agree as some has told here around. I bought some extra warranties (road hazard, maintenance plan, etc) So after all, if everything goes wrong my only concern its the driving to the dealer and how long I will keep the loaner.