I appreciate your answer and have decided to go your path. I honestly think all these aftermarket products will eventually, have defects and doesn't last as long.

Therefore, ebay has so many items with auto-leveling non AFS, but why are them headlights so expensive (due to the fact its OEM, but still)?

I am really sorry if this thread is bugging everyone, but I am happy that I finally found an answer to my decision.

Now, its Headlight Projector Hunting Time!! (Hmm, where to start)

I'd keep an eye on eBay to see if a deal comes around. A few things to look for though:

1. Make sure the headlights are OEM and not aftermarket. Some sellers will try to scam you by "not mentioning" whether it's OEM or not; however if it reads OEM in the auction, it probably is.

2. Try to find headlights from an 07-09 (so RX350 or RX400h) as the 04-06 had some condensation issues which the manufacturer claimed to have fixed for 07+). I would completely avoid any auctions that don't indicate the EXACT year the headlights were removed from. Since it's impossible to visually identify the year, most sellers will leave it out. However if sellers say it was from an 07, or and 08 (if they give a specific year, NOT "range") then you should be good. I would really try to avoid the 04-06 as most of them up on Ebay are on there because the have the condensation issue.

3. Note that the 08 Rx400h headlights, even though identical in fitment, have a "blue" tint to the chrome housing. Everything else is the same though and this was only for the 08 year for the Rx400h hybrid. If you like the blue look (which i really do) then think about getting a pair! Just be sure (if you buy the headlights separately) that one isn't from the 08 Rx400h while the other from the 07-09 Rx350 or 06-07 Rx400h as the chrome won't match.

4. Note that there are two versions of the HID projector headlights like i mentioned earlier (one with AFS and auto-leveling, and the other with auto-leveling only) and you cannot mix and match one side with version A and the other with version B. Although they might "appear" to have the same projectors, they are in fact different. The AFS version projectors are much better and have a different output pattern and cutoff than the projectors used in the non-AFS version. Since your car cannot provide input to either AFS nor auto-leveling, either version headlight will be fine; just make sure both the left and right headlights are of the same type. You will definitely notice the difference in output.

Please see this thread that was up here a while ago; i posted some pictures to help identify the two different version HID projector headlights.

http://us.lexusowner...showtopic=71681

5. Note that not all headlights from ebay will include the HID bulbs and/or factory "ballasts" which are used to ignite the bulbs. Ballasts and bulbs can be purchased separately, ballasts going for about $100/each and a pair of the factory (DO NOT buy aftermarket HID bulbs no matter what sellers claim) Philips HID bulbs for about $100 for the pair. New or used is fine (they are very reliable) just make sure both the left and right side bulbs are the same age (as HID bulbs change color and intensity over time, and you'll be able to see the difference). The factory bulbs you'll need are in size D2S part number 85122, below is a pair on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4aabd2681c

Depending on what the headlights you choose to get "come with" in terms of ballast, bottom ballast cover, gasket, rear cover, etc, you might want to look into this. This auction comes with the ballast and the rear and bottom covers that some headlight sellers might leave out (it also comes with the AFS motor but you don't need it). This is a factory Denso ballast (these are the ones that Lexus uses in all their headlights; they're literally the best and only ones i'd use):

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4600afa666

and here's another auction by the same guy claiming it to be the other side (the sides are symmetrical; inquire to the seller whether he has two lefts, two rights, or one of each which is what you need):

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4600cd5b59

6. Some (if not all) used headlights you find on ebay might have several broken tabs as they're very fragile. Just as long as the lower bottom one is there, you're OK. The tab on the top and near the high beam side are quite honestly useless and don't help securing the headlight in place. If they're "repaired" that's OK, Lexus actually sells kits for it. And if they're missing that's OK too... You don't really need them.

If you want the "blue tinted" version from the 08 Rx400h (which most likely won't have condensation since they were only available for he 08 year) here's one on ebay. This seller claims to have both sides, so i'd send him an email and inquire as to whether or not he does.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2318d23bbd

The hardest part is going to be finding the headlights, as not many sellers indicate the EXACT year they came from. You can gamble, but there's no guarantee an 04-06 won't leak. :unsure:

I know this might all sound confusing (and to some degree it is) but it's easy once you make the decision you want to get them... Step one find the headlights. Then determine what parts (ie: bulbs, ballasts, covers) are missing and look for them elsewhere. Once you get all the parts i'll help you put it all together and get everything wired up; i've done it a million times and know EXACTLY what needs to be done once you've got the parts. ^_^

Good luck and feel free to post anything you find on ebay and i'll try to OK them before you buy!

If you start out with headlamps that are not self-leveling and/or AFS then upgrading to get those features working will be a SERIOUS challenge, additional ECU and rear axle level sesnor required, stearing wheel position sesnor signal "tap" for AFS.

Installing self-leveling headlamps assemblies without the control capability might require constant attention, manual adjustment of level position on a regular basis.

I appreciate your answer and have decided to go your path. I honestly think all these aftermarket products will eventually, have defects and doesn't last as long.

Therefore, ebay has so many items with auto-leveling non AFS, but why are them headlights so expensive (due to the fact its OEM, but still)?

I am really sorry if this thread is bugging everyone, but I am happy that I finally found an answer to my decision.

Now, its Headlight Projector Hunting Time!! (Hmm, where to start)

I'd keep an eye on eBay to see if a deal comes around. A few things to look for though:

1. Make sure the headlights are OEM and not aftermarket. Some sellers will try to scam you by "not mentioning" whether it's OEM or not; however if it reads OEM in the auction, it probably is.

2. Try to find headlights from an 07-09 (so RX350 or RX400h) as the 04-06 had some condensation issues which the manufacturer claimed to have fixed for 07+). I would completely avoid any auctions that don't indicate the EXACT year the headlights were removed from. Since it's impossible to visually identify the year, most sellers will leave it out. However if sellers say it was from an 07, or and 08 (if they give a specific year, NOT "range") then you should be good. I would really try to avoid the 04-06 as most of them up on Ebay are on there because the have the condensation issue.

3. Note that the 08 Rx400h headlights, even though identical in fitment, have a "blue" tint to the chrome housing. Everything else is the same though and this was only for the 08 year for the Rx400h hybrid. If you like the blue look (which i really do) then think about getting a pair! Just be sure (if you buy the headlights separately) that one isn't from the 08 Rx400h while the other from the 07-09 Rx350 or 06-07 Rx400h as the chrome won't match.

4. Note that there are two versions of the HID projector headlights like i mentioned earlier (one with AFS and auto-leveling, and the other with auto-leveling only) and you cannot mix and match one side with version A and the other with version B. Although they might "appear" to have the same projectors, they are in fact different. The AFS version projectors are much better and have a different output pattern and cutoff than the projectors used in the non-AFS version. Since your car cannot provide input to either AFS nor auto-leveling, either version headlight will be fine; just make sure both the left and right headlights are of the same type. You will definitely notice the difference in output.

Please see this thread that was up here a while ago; i posted some pictures to help identify the two different version HID projector headlights.

http://us.lexusowner...showtopic=71681

5. Note that not all headlights from ebay will include the HID bulbs and/or factory "ballasts" which are used to ignite the bulbs. Ballasts and bulbs can be purchased separately, ballasts going for about $100/each and a pair of the factory (DO NOT buy aftermarket HID bulbs no matter what sellers claim) Philips HID bulbs for about $100 for the pair. New or used is fine (they are very reliable) just make sure both the left and right side bulbs are the same age (as HID bulbs change color and intensity over time, and you'll be able to see the difference). The factory bulbs you'll need are in size D2S part number 85122, below is a pair on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4aabd2681c

Depending on what the headlights you choose to get "come with" in terms of ballast, bottom ballast cover, gasket, rear cover, etc, you might want to look into this. This auction comes with the ballast and the rear and bottom covers that some headlight sellers might leave out (it also comes with the AFS motor but you don't need it). This is a factory Denso ballast (these are the ones that Lexus uses in all their headlights; they're literally the best and only ones i'd use):

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4600afa666

and here's another auction by the same guy claiming it to be the other side (the sides are symmetrical; inquire to the seller whether he has two lefts, two rights, or one of each which is what you need):

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4600cd5b59

6. Some (if not all) used headlights you find on ebay might have several broken tabs as they're very fragile. Just as long as the lower bottom one is there, you're OK. The tab on the top and near the high beam side are quite honestly useless and don't help securing the headlight in place. If they're "repaired" that's OK, Lexus actually sells kits for it. And if they're missing that's OK too... You don't really need them.

If you want the "blue tinted" version from the 08 Rx400h (which most likely won't have condensation since they were only available for he 08 year) here's one on ebay. This seller claims to have both sides, so i'd send him an email and inquire as to whether or not he does.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2318d23bbd

The hardest part is going to be finding the headlights, as not many sellers indicate the EXACT year they came from. You can gamble, but there's no guarantee an 04-06 won't leak. :unsure:

I know this might all sound confusing (and to some degree it is) but it's easy once you make the decision you want to get them... Step one find the headlights. Then determine what parts (ie: bulbs, ballasts, covers) are missing and look for them elsewhere. Once you get all the parts i'll help you put it all together and get everything wired up; i've done it a million times and know EXACTLY what needs to be done once you've got the parts. ^_^

Good luck and feel free to post anything you find on ebay and i'll try to OK them before you buy!

Thanks so much for your advice I will look around and see.

If you start out with headlamps that are not self-leveling and/or AFS then upgrading to get those features working will be a SERIOUS challenge, additional ECU and rear axle level sesnor required, stearing wheel position sesnor signal "tap" for AFS.

Installing self-leveling headlamps assemblies without the control capability might require constant attention, manual adjustment of level position on a regular basis.

Oh wow.. It gets complicated and complicated if it didn't have built in AFS even tho if I didn't want AFS but with auto level.. Hmm.. So what now?

Just did some ebay surfing and came across these 2 separate headlights, same seller and claims to be OEM but dunno how legit these items are being said.

Any suggestions or ideas if these are reasonable? I also noticed one side is $25 bucks more than the other?

RIGHT SIDE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-HEADLIGHT-HEAD-LIGHT-LAMP-RX330-RX350-04-09-XENON-/140548668596?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ARX350&vxp=mtr&hash=item20b95a7cb4

LEFT SIDE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-HEADLIGHT-HEAD-LIGHT-LAMP-RX330-RX350-04-09-XENON-/150604897921?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ARX350&vxp=mtr&hash=item2310c05e81

Like i said in an earlier post, you won't be able to get the car to use the AFS and auto-leveling functions. The motors just won't be plugged into the car. The "settings" for up and down, and left and right will be STUCK at neutral position so it'll be OK. And if you wish to raise or lower, there are adjustment bolts you can turn on the back of the headlights. You don't need any special equipment to adjust the settings, and they will never "move on their own" unless you adjust them yourself. They won't just rattle as you hit bumps- the motors don't move freely unless electricity is sent to them.

Just did some ebay surfing and came across these 2 separate headlights, same seller and claims to be OEM but dunno how legit these items are being said.

Any suggestions or ideas if these are reasonable? I also noticed one side is $25 bucks more than the other?

RIGHT SIDE

http://www.ebay.com/...=item20b95a7cb4

LEFT SIDE

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2310c05e81

The headlights in the links above are of the oem AFS + auto-leveling type (which is the best). From the pictures it appears that the lenses are clear (often if headlights have had condensation issues the inside lens will be foggy) although i would send the seller an e-mail to see if he knows the exact year they were removed from. I also don't know why he says he has 19 available... That's weird. I hope the one he sends you if you decide to buy is the same one he has pictured. I'd definitely send him a contact.

I'll do some searching for you too, i'll post back if i find anything good. ^_^

Here's one of the 08 Rx400h blue tinted ones; seller says it was damaged and was repaired; might wanna email him and ask what was fixed. Not a bad price!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cc1d7c33c

Or if you wanna go the standard chrome route, here's a good one! The seller claims it's from a 2007 Rx330 (i'm sure he means rx350) so it's out of the condensation age, and it includes the bulb, ballast and housing covers. I'd definitely get this one, it's a great price for having the ballasts and bulbs too! This is the AFS+auto-leveling type (best).

http://www.ebay.com/...=item53eb346d98

And here's one for the right side; it's of the same AFS+auto-leveling type as the one above, and also comes with all the bulbs, ballasts and covers. Seller says a crack was repaired but i wouldn't worry about that. I'd still inquire about the exact year it was removed from though. Pretty good price for including all parts. This will save you from having to buy bulbs and ballasts separately!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item20c2278e2e

Or here's another one for the right side; AFS+auto-leveling. Seller states it's from a 2007 so it's safe for condensation. Doesn't include bulbs, ballasts or covers so you'd need to buy them separately.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-OEM-Lexus-RX350-Headlight-Assembly-Right-Side-/130645501588?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e6b142694

EDIT: Caution

This retrofit involved a '99 Porsche 911/996 wherein the headlight auto-leveling motor was used to move the entire internal projector/reflector assembly up or down into the proper position for whichever mode was selected. With the "apperture" type projector installed the assembly needed to always remian in the high beam position and the apperture movement provided the low beam shading cutoff.

I can well attest to the fact that unpowered auto leveling headlights will need to be manually re-adjusted from time to time. My guess is that due to the vibration of every day use the headlamps, over time, moved positionally.

The reason I know is that I installed a set of HID projector beam headlight retrofit assemblies that used a solenoid actuated shading apperture to switch between high and low beam. I then didn't need the auto-leveling motor to move upward in high beam mode, OEM method to switch modes. So I disconnected the motor power. After a few months of having to readjust the beam position to often I revised the control circuit with a diode and resistor so that the head light assemby did not move between high and low beam modes.

What headlights did you retrofit? What projectors did you use?

And what are you talking about when you say you don't need the auto-leveling motor to move after the retrofit? Why would you disconnect the auto-leveling? Did your design not allow for the projector to still move up and down with the motor?

It should be noted that the 01-03 Rx300 low and high beam reflectors are connected, and both reflectors are controlled by an auto-leveling motor which is placed at the top, with the entire reflector assembly hinged at the bottom in two locations (below the "low beam" reflector side and below the "high beam" reflector side). My guess is that during your retrofit, you disconnected the high and low reflectors when installing the projector, which made it impossible for either reflector to hinge properly on its own- that's why you disabled the auto-leveling and that's why you need to constantly readjust them. The valves on the auto-leveling motors will not move on their own... You just need a good hinge- and the low and high reflectors cannot hinge on their own without being connected, and certainly not with a heavy projector weighting the thing down. The extra weight of the projector was not in the headlight design; it might be enough to get that motor rod to move on its own.

The 04-09 RX330/350/400h headlights however do not work this way. Only the projector assembly moves (the high beam reflector is independent) being hinged at the top and using the leveling motor at the bottom. The motor simply pushes a rod in and out to raise and lower the beam. Not like this matters to the OP since he won't be modifying the design of the headlight.

just google "cduluk" and "retrofit" and rest assured i've been there and could write the book... :whistles:

Good Stuff... I just inboxed those guys and non replied. I asked them if they had a pair and none of them said yes. DARN!! lol! I need a pair LOL...

Why don't you want to buy the left and right separately? The odds of finding a pair in the same auction is pretty slim, as most of these come from cars that were in accidents (which usually take out one side of the car and not the other).

Good Stuff... I just inboxed those guys and non replied. I asked them if they had a pair and none of them said yes. DARN!! lol! I need a pair LOL...

Why don't you want to buy the left and right separately? The odds of finding a pair in the same auction is pretty slim, as most of these come from cars that were in accidents (which usually take out one side of the car and not the other).

I know. But as I look into these headlights separately, I tend to get confused if they will be the same . I am really not smart about these items. I just wante to order the same ones just to have the same looks and everything..

Well, the ones i posted are definitely all the same type, and if i were doing what you're doing those would be the ones i'd get. I just wouldn't recommend waiting for a pair as it'll probably take a while. And even then, the price might not be this good. :wacko: And trust me, they'll be completely identical- Lexus didn't change anything cosmetically from the front from 04-09, just fixed the seals.

Personally, i'd get this (left side):

http://www.ebay.com/...b346d98&afsrc=1

and this one (right side):

http://www.ebay.com/...b142694&afsrc=1

and i'd also get this (the ballast and covers for the right side headlight above):

http://www.ebay.com/...621889832466535

and i'd get a brand new pair of factory bulbs:

http://www.ebay.com/...bd2681c&afsrc=1

I emailed many different sellers on ebay inquiring about the years they were removed from, and not a single one responded with one from the 07-09 range. However the ones above indicate being in the 07-09 range so personally i'd take them before someone else did. ^_^

This is exactly what i would do if i were in your shoes (and i have been)!