Cost Of Operation

We are considering the purchase of a 2012 RX hybrid. I see the mpg is overestimated based on the comments so I will not expect 28 (especially with my wife driving - she does wheelies in reverse out of the garage).

Generally, I have found most of the comments positive unless the negatives are buried elsewhere.

Are there other service costs that occur we should be aware of before signing the papers?

In short, stop us if we are about to do something not too bright.

Many thanks.

You'll never overcome the extra cost of the hybrid even with better mileage unless you own the car for 6.02x10^23 years.

If you buy a used one however it might be possible since the cost difference between hybrid and non hybrid version decreases with age.

We are considering the purchase of a 2012 RX hybrid. I see the mpg is overestimated based on the comments so I will not expect 28 (especially with my wife driving - she does wheelies in reverse out of the garage).

Generally, I have found most of the comments positive unless the negatives are buried elsewhere.

Are there other service costs that occur we should be aware of before signing the papers?

In short, stop us if we are about to do something not too bright.

Many thanks.

You are not doing something stupid. As "cduluk" said, the current state of the hybrid technology is still expensive, and though it gives better fuel performance it is not by it self going to overcome the initial price.

Lexus hybrids have a reputation for reliability, and are backed by a excellent warranty. I like the RX and have always been impressed with the ride and handling, along with it's host of features.

Yep, that is why I bought a used one (25K) for a 3 year old RX400h....At around half price the hybrid payed for itself....The 400h with my wifes driving gets 23.5 all the time but that is far better than the 16 to 18 that her RX300 was getting for the last 12 years. Love the newer,but new RX.....

lenore,

Thank goodness you posted a "realistic" mileage number. I run regular gas and in mixed driving (more short trips than long), get ~24 in the summer and ~22 in the winter on 10% ethanol gas here in southeastern PA. To be fair, I do not drive 100% of the time trying to maximize the mpg.

I had leased my '08 400h and liked it so much that I bought it out of the lease after 3 years. I still prefer the exterior design and wheels of this generation compared to the newest one, but that is a matter of taste.

The BIG thing about ANY of these luxo-brands is the SERVICE cost. If you are not used to that "surcharge," you better prepare yourself. However, as Paul said, these vehicles are very reliable. You have a 4 year warranty which covers just about everything. My ICE battery failed a few months ago while still under warranty and figured the dealer would rock me >$150 to replace it. Imagine my shock when I went to pay the bill and there was NO CHARGE! I did have to replace the OEM Michelins and just went for the same tires again - that wasn't cheap...the dealer didn't give me a break on that. One of the headlamp assemblies developed a slight condensation problem and they replaced that under warranty; no charge/no questions.

As CDluk said, you'll probably never overcome the extra cost of the hybrid, but there is a tremendous "satisfaction factor" when you're stuck in a traffic jam and your mpg actually goes UP. Also when the ICE shuts off at stoplights and while coasting.

The other thing is this vehicle really gets out of its way. 0-60 mph on the '08 was ~6.7 sec. I don't know what the 2012 is but it surely must be <7. That's quick enough for me. Finally, although it's not a true AWD system, I've experienced nothing but confidence while driving in rain, snow, and ice.

Bottom line - look into the standard maintenance service costs at the dealer. If they seem WAY off base and you'd be ticked off paying them, look at the Highlander hybrid. Personally, I don't mind paying the extra cost knowing I'm driving a true quality vehicle that will retain its resale value more than most anything else in its class.

Also, see if they have any incentives if you sign up for the Lexus credit card at time of purchase. I got $500 in "points" to use at a Lexus dealership when I signed up. That covers quite a few services and you earn 1% on ALL purchases you can use at the dealership. It's a no-annual fee card.

GOOD LUCK!

Actually, many of the folks who calculated that it would take 10 years to overcome the extra cost of buying a hybrid had based their calculations on fuel prices in the $2.50/gallon range. As we all know, those days have been long gone and it is now much easier to recoup your extra $ spent on a Hybrid. At one time, I calculated a payback period of 5 years using $4.00/gallon as the fuel cost and 12,000 miles per year average usage.

When we bought our 2006 RX400h (in 2005), RX330 owners who experienced similar driving conditions were averaging no more than 17-19 MPG, whereas we were averaging 26-28 MPG. All of us experienced times of very heavy traffic which is typical of big city commutes.

Keep in mind, too that RX450 owners are averaging 28-30 MPG - significantly higher than new RX350 owners' 20 MPG real-world averages. In summation, how long it takes to reach a payback period is directly proportional to your driving conditions. The lower your average speed, the faster the payback. Owners who live in big cities can easily reach that payback far before those who live in Montana or other states having wide open stretches of highway.

I agree that the quality of the 06-08 RX400h is excellent. I have a heavy lead foot and tend to accelerate quickly, and I haven't had any issues with the car as a result of it. I average about 24 MPG in the summer months and about 22 MPG in the winter and that's with a heavy lead foot and 91/93 gas.

The 06-08 RX400h is also the quickest Lexus SUV ever made, even to this day. The 2010-present RX450h is slower than the RX400h believe it or not. More power but less result due to the extra weight of the new model.

One of the things I considered before I bought my 2012 450H, was the better braking, more advanced stability system and the gas milage. Yes you pay more for a hybrid, but they sell for more down the road. Here in my city, I was able to order a premium 2 fully loaded 450H for less money than they were willing to sell me thier 2010 450H with same package and 2000KMs on it. Recently there was a 2011 with Touring Package and 16,000 KMs brought up from Texas that sold for 6K less than what I paid for new 2012 and two packages higher. It sold right away.

This is not because people are stupid, but for the fact that there are not any around. You can have new but like me you will have to wait for 3 months to get it so the used ones go extremely quickly. I have been watching the prices and the Hybrids do sell for more than the difference that they originally sold for. In the long run gas is not going to go down and if like me you do a lot of inner city driving that is when the Hybrid really sells itself.

Either you are going to keep it for a long period of time and your payoff is in gas, or you are going to sell it and the fact Hybrids bring in a premium resale. Either way you win but when all is said and done you dont buy a luxury car to save money. ;)