Shifter

rob_es350

in the continuing spirit of complaining about the es350,lol...

let's see if anyone else also has been at least slightly bothered by this

the shifter design seems archaic in the jagged pattern it takes through the different gears

why can't it be a little slicker/smoother, something similar to the beemer, or one of the others

am I alone again in being bothered by this nit-picking item?

Lexus has used a gated shifter for a long time, I like it a lot because it's impossible to over-shoot the selection you're looking for.

It was actually copied by Lexus from Mercedes in the late 90s. Most carmakers now use a gated shifter.

I personally don't like the joystick style shifter BMW is using now. I still like a mechanical linkage.

Lexus has used a gated shifter for a long time, I like it a lot because it's impossible to over-shoot the selection you're looking for.

It was actually copied by Lexus from Mercedes in the late 90s. Most carmakers now use a gated shifter.

I personally don't like the joystick style shifter BMW is using now. I still like a mechanical linkage.

ahhhh, gotcha, thanks steve

feels awkward and old school to me, but guess it makes sense

I like the gated shifters and find them pretty intuitive. No need to double check what grear you shifted into, Especially after getting used to them. In addition to our Lexus we have a 2011 Mazda3 with a gated shifter. It's a little different but also intuitive.

in the continuing spirit of complaining about the es350,lol...

let's see if anyone else also has been at least slightly bothered by this

the shifter design seems archaic in the jagged pattern it takes through the different gears

why can't it be a little slicker/smoother, something similar to the beemer, or one of the others

am I alone again in being bothered by this nit-picking item?

Yes. LOL

I love the gate shifter!! My old Rx300 didn't have it, all the gears were in a linear pattern. The biggest drawback was the fact that you'd need to hold down a button on the shifter before you could move it. With the gate shifter, no button! Less of a chance of hitting the shifter into a new gear by accident.

I think it would be weird to have a shifter like the BMW's or Prius where you have a little elctronic shifter paddle. I guess drivers get used to it, but I know it would take me a while!

ok guys, here's the thing

you all seem to admire the gated shifter, but virtually everything else in the car is electronic..drive by wire, etc.

why stick (no pun intended) with the old-school shifter

have it work like the BMW, and everyone would likely adjust and end up liking it better, as I am sure was the case with most of the computer controlled features

eh?

ok guys, here's the thing

you all seem to admire the gated shifter, but virtually everything else in the car is electronic..drive by wire, etc.

why stick (no pun intended) with the old-school shifter

have it work like the BMW, and everyone would likely adjust and end up liking it better, as I am sure was the case with most of the computer controlled features

eh?

....."and everyone would likely adjust and end up liking it better, as I am sure was the case with most of the computer controlled features."............Yikes!!! Sounds like car design as practiced by the Republican Central Committee. LOL

(Wrong forum I know for a political joke but I couldn't help it.)

I love the shifter in the Lexus. I have a BMW and have also driven the new BMW's and it doesn't seem or feel near as refined as the Lexus even if it is more advanced.