Low Mile 2006 Or Higher Mile 2008

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to get a used RX 400h. This will be our first Lexus and first hybrid.

we are looking at a 2006 with 30,000 miles and a 2008 with 70,000 miles.

My wife's fear is that since 2006 is the first year model, there might be issues that would be fixed in the later model.

My fear is that the 2008 has higher miles and thus has more wear and tear.

I am looking for your collective expert opinion and advice.

Well, I bought my 06 in Jan 06, I have 65K miles on it, SoCal driving...not too hard on my car...it's had a sweet life....but I have not had one issue with it. It has been so reliable that I just do not worry like any other car that I have had for the same amount of time and miles. At the same time, depending on the prices (you can mention them to us, we can keep a secret!) 70K isn't a lot for this car. You should wait to get few more responses...I have learned a lot from the nice people on this forum. Rey in LA OH, I bought the wooden steering wheel and it is great....so I do agree...I put some of the plastic wood trim here and there and everyone thinks it's original....just don't overdo that...but the steering wheel was easy. I found it on eBay for about $200 and my mechanic put it on for $40 and then I sold the leather one for $250. Just my two cents....Oh, and as you can see, I had the front end customized and I have the Thundercloud chome,horizontal grille....my car STILL looks and smells brand new! Really

I finally changed my avatar to show the Thundercloud Grille, (horizontal chrome bars)...I love this grille!

Just my opinion, but the interior seems nicer with the wood on the 2008....Does it have the ML stereo system and Navigation...Look at all of the accessories on both vehicles. I purchased my 2008 with 88k miles and am very happy....Just turned 100k since March of this year...Did the Timing belt, water pump, etc...good to go now for another 25k miles for the spark plugs...Look closely at the Headlights for moisture condensation also...The 2008 was the last year of this model... RXrey has a beautiful 2006....

Without a doubt, i would take the 2008.

As far as i know, there weren't any drivetrain changes for the 2008 from the 2006. There is a difference however in the ISC reset procedure; on the 06's you need to do it after changing the battery, and on the 08 you don't- it does it automatically. If there were any other changes to the 08 from the 06, they're for the better.

One of the major benefits in getting the 2008 is that it will have the upgraded navigation unit. The screen is 100% better in terms if pixel quality and contrast/brightness. The overall layout of the screen is better too. It might not seem like a big deal, but after having to look at it on a daily basis you'll appreciate the difference!

Also, the 08 has upgraded headlights and taillights (tinted light blue), the chrome door handles, blue accented rear emblem, and has the interior wood trim while the 2006 has silver trim in its place. Overall the changes make the Rx400h "stand out" from the Rx350.

And the difference between 30k miles and 70k miles will be made up by the fact that the 08 is 2 years (2 winters, 2 hot summers, 2 rainy springs) newer than the 2006. Time adds a lot of stress to a car.

My 2008 Rx400h has 70k miles right now, and i bought it with 42k miles in 2009. Haven't had a single problem with the car besides the few which i caused myself.

Also find out if the required service intervals have been completed on each. I think the most expensive ones are at 30k, 60k, and 90k. So the 70k might save you from having to pay as much if the 2006 hasn't had its 30k service yet. <_<

Thanks guys...but yeah the 2008 model does have premium package. Both cars cost about the same (only about $1K difference between the two). Right now my wife is really excited about the 08 Model and reading the inputs, I also feel a lot better about it. We will be going on Friday to check out the car again and also get an Auto mechanic friend to check it out.

Getting really excited to join the RX 400h owners club.

Congrats on your upcoming RX400h purchase. We just got one ourselves in July, and absolutely love it.

Before you go through a local dealer, make sure you do a pretty good Internet search for other large metro areas near you.

I live in Hawaii and there was only one used RX400h for sale on the island when we decided we were ready to purchase and it didn't have a nav system (which is a requirement for my wife). Knowing I was able to get it shipped, I started hunting in SoCal for inventory that met my qualifications. 2008 with low miles. (hard to do, but they are out there) We found at Mercedes Benz of Valencia (LA area) that had 28k miles on it and they would give us a break on the price equivalent to the price of shipping. After having a friend go look at it to make sure it was in decent shape, test drive it and make sure there were no obvious flaws, we pulled the trigger.

Not having to sit in the negotiating room with the salesman running back and forth to the 'manager' was worth it's weight in gold. I literally sat at my desk while working and exchanged text messages with the sales rep until we decided on a price.

We ended up getting a 2008 400h with 28k miles on it in July of 2011 for $30,050. We did pay $865 to ship to Hawaii, so total we paid $30, 915. They even delivered it to the port for us, and I'd imagine most dealers are familiar with the shipping process for over-the-road shipping.

So don't get locked into your local inventory if it isn't exactly what you want. You can probably find exactly what you are looking for online and have it shipped to you. Internet sales are usually a little more agressive in their pricing too because they know if you are buying on the internet you are much savvier and less prone to accept 'an offer you can't refuse' in a dealership.

I will never again set foot inside a dealers 'sales' office after the ease with which we were able to do it over the Internet. We did use USAA's car buying service to find it, so if your bank has some sort of service like that, tap into it- most will also give some sort of a guarantee as well.

Good luck with your purchase!

Thanks Hwilke01.

The 2008 model is by owner so it should be easier to work out an deal.

One thing I just remember is that the 08 model has condensations in the driver side front head lamp. Is this something easy to fix?

Thanks Hwilke01.

The 2008 model is by owner so it should be easier to work out an deal.

One thing I just remember is that the 08 model has condensations in the driver side front head lamp. Is this something easy to fix?

should be covered under factory warranty if it's still active.

Hi Grooby,

we're moving overseas at the end of this year which means our one owner from new June 2007 RX400h AWD with 39,000 miles will be up for grabs.

New tires all round just fitted.

Non-smoker always garaged.

It is in very good condx - only one small ding on the passenger door (easily fixed), no stone chips on front as it has had a clear bra installed from new (easily removed).

Carpets (inc trunk) are perfect as they had all weather mats on top of them.

Color is beige / tan (I think).

Has premium sound /navi etc.

Has been absolutely flawless - as you'd expect from a Lexus.

We were planning to sell it to Carmax - but may try and find a private buyer.

Contact me via e mail if interested

tim dot forrester at gmail dot com

Regards Tim

One question about warranty, which I am having trouble finding online. What is the warranty I can expect from a 2008 400H with 72K miles? I am guessing I am out of basic warranty. How much Hybrid or Drive Train warranty do I have left?

And just to add to what maseace said, that's from the date of purchase. So any 2008's warranty will have been activated in late 2007 or maybe early 2008. You can find the manufacture date of each car on the sticker on the drivers side door jam.

So my wife and I have decided to get the 08 model.

Given the 08 already has 72K miles on it, I am guessing the only warranty left is the Hybrid 100K warranty.

I am wondering if it make sense to get extended warranty for this car, giving I am purchasing it at a very high mile.

I think you're making the right choice! :)

As for getting an eextended warranty, you might want to call your dealer about it. Typically extended warranties are usually purchased before the 50k mile point. I'm not sure if its a rule, but either way I'm sure there's a way around it.

My input on the extended warranty: Don't buy it, set the $2000 (or whatever it would cost) aside in an interest-bearing savings account, in case something fails and needs to be replaced. You probably won't need to use it since these cars are so reliable, so you come out way ahead. :)

yeah..sound advice I think.

Wife and I are already looking at "accessories" for the car...I am sure there'll be an argument about what accessories we should get for this car.

yeah..sound advice I think.

Wife and I are already looking at "accessories" for the car...I am sure there'll be an argument about what accessories we should get for this car.

[/quote

I love accessories no matter what anyone says...every person decides for themselves things like that...I HATED the look of the roof rack for example...when am I going to throw a moose up there, or a traveling trunk like the vaudeville guys? Anyway, one of the first things that I did was take that off....then I added the wooden steering wheel (mine is an 06, it came with the leather steering wheel)....Thundercloud grille...I just love that grille...chrome with horizontal bars...chrome handles...again, because I have an 06 that didn't come with them. I love "Hybrid" badges and I liked the Ford Escape Hybrid type face better so I got that for the rear. I love the front bumper lip that I put on. It is a delicate balance though...it is a very elegant...and expensive car..so it's not a 1969 Beetle...you should have at least a little care in the choice of accessories...but that's all subjective. Rey

I love accessories no matter what anyone says...every person decides for themselves things like that...I HATED the look of the roof rack for example...when am I going to throw a moose up there, or a traveling trunk like the vaudeville guys? Anyway, one of the first things that I did was take that off....then I added the wooden steering wheel (mine is an 06, it came with the leather steering wheel)....Thundercloud grille...I just love that grille...chrome with horizontal bars...chrome handles...again, because I have an 06 that didn't come with them. I love "Hybrid" badges and I liked the Ford Escape Hybrid type face better so I got that for the rear. I love the front bumper lip that I put on. It is a delicate balance though...it is a very elegant...and expensive car..so it's not a 1969 Beetle...you should have at least a little care in the choice of accessories...but that's all subjective. Rey

I agree! There are soooo many things you can do to make the Rx400h stand apart from the rest. <_<

at first blush i would have picked the lower mileage older lexus, however after reading the posts here and driving a new loaner i think the 08 is a more satisfying purchase all other things being equal. wood steering wheel is much more comfortable in the hands, and the usb port and gps improvements are worth it. also it is still the older body style that i think is so much more handsome than the slab sided, squinty tail light crappy color choice redesign that lexus cooked up. the new interior is an improvement.