How To Replace High Mount Stop Light

sitall

Hi, everybody.

I'm a new hear and, unfortunately, my English is not good.

Anyway, I need a help for high mount stop light replacement. I mean how to open speaker & lamp cover on the rear dashboard of ES300?

Thanks.

you didn't say the year but i am guessing 92-96 ones

i don't really know about other ones anyway

:wacko:

you have to pull it toward the front of the car for the 3rd brake light to be removed from the parcel shelf

you also have to take the rear seats out to get the actual parcel shelf cover off

the 3rd brake light has 2 clips and is a real P.O.S. to remove

it is the worst design by toyota besides the y exhaust pipe and acess to rear spark plugs on 1mz-fe's

i'm pretty sure if you follow sk's instructions it should be easier than figuring it out yourself.

i really wouldn't bother with taking it out myself...

is there something wrong with your brake light? light burnt?

Thanks for replies.

This is ES300 1997, and 3rd brake light is burnt. :(

you also have to take the rear seats out

I don`t have a service manual yet, so could you to explain how to do it. Can I to take off the upper parts (back) only or both upper and bottom parts have to be removed?

Thanks again.

I don't think you have to go that far.

Kneel in the back seat facing out the back. Grasp the plastic cover with both hands and pull it towards you then with you thumbs try to hook the part of the cover opposite the window and push up.

The cover should just pop up. If it does not, you might need the help of a flat head screwdriver just under one corner.

Be very careful, you don't want to break any tabs nor do you want to put the screwdriver so far in it will puncture the speaker if you have one under there.

Then remove the bulb. Simply grasp the bulb and pull up. It should come right out.

Replace with the same type of bulb (should be about $2 and change). I think it is sylvania #7440 (same as rear turn and back up light). Grasp the new bulb with a tissue....don't touch the bulb with your fingers. Place it in where the old came out.

Go step on the brake and make sure it works. Replace the cover.

Enjoy the rest of you day. B)

I just did this on my friends 98 Avalon. Should be the same or very similar.

steviej.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...

My apologies, but I am a little confused on the final recommended solution for replacing the High Mount Stop Light in a 1992 ES300. I only have the stop light in the center and then speakers well to the left and right on the rear ledge. The speakers are no where near the stop light. It seems the basic idea is to pull the cover away from the rear window and pry it up while hoping to not break any tabs. This is now 18 year old plastic and I suspect brittle. It there a better way than just pulling and praying? Thank you.

Kneel in the back seat facing out the back. Grasp the plastic cover with both hands and pull it towards you then with you thumbs try to hook the part of the cover opposite the window and push up.

The cover should just pop up. If it does not, you might need the help of a flat head screwdriver just under one corner.

Be very careful, you don't want to break any tabs nor do you want to put the screwdriver so far in it will puncture the speaker if you have one under there.

steviej