Before You Use Automated Car Wash

Hey guys!

Here in Rhode Island, it's pretty hard to keep your car clean during the winter months, so once and a while I'll take my car through one of those automated car washers.

It's never my top choice, but it beats having a caked layer of sand and salt on the car.

Anyways, I took my Rx400h through my local car wash for the first time. As soon as the jets started to spray the water/soap mix on th car, my windshield wipers started going off like crazy! (Due to the automatic wipers) luckily I was paying attention and was able to turn them off before the felt cleaning parts in the washer touched the windshield. It could have been bad!

Also when I came out, I noticed that the little black antenna on the roof was sort of... "bent" a little. Not that bad, but next time I will surely fold it flat before I enter the wash.

So just a few things to keep in mind before going in an automated car wash- set the "auto wipers" to OFF and fold the little back antenna flat before entering =)

Also, the temps were around 25 degrees when I went through. Some of the felt cleaning devices in the wash had developed some icing, so I could hear the pinging all over the car... but it didn't do any damage thankfully.

So make sure the temps are high enough too! Lol

Hope this can save someone in the future =P

My philosophy is that, aside from the wash at the dealer, I will not use a car wash with brushes. Most of the places around here have touchless washes where it just sprays the car like a power washer (not that hard) but nothing touches the car but the soap and water (and wax).

My philosophy is that, aside from the wash at the dealer, I will not use a car wash with brushes. Most of the places around here have touchless washes where it just sprays the car like a power washer (not that hard) but nothing touches the car but the soap and water (and wax).

Yes, I'm with you on that.

When I lived in CT, a friend was horrified after taking his car through a car wash - millions of hairline scatches throughout the clearcoat. That is when I swore off car washes, FOREVER!

Seriously, now that I live in San Diego, there is never reason for me to take any of our vehicles through an automated car wash. Besides, hand-washing is good exercise.

+1

Touchless in the winter months (or one of those places where you spray the car yourself), and hand wash in the summer.

It's definitely not my first choice going through these things, but there's no way in heck you'd catch me hand-washing my car in cold temperatures <_< I don't love my car that much lol.

Two or three times a winter through the car wash gives me a good balance between "clean" and not having any paint damage. I have my car detailed each spring anyways, so it's all the same to me.

I REALLY hate winter...

i agree on the no automated carwash, the water is recycled and contains sand. i use a hose connected to a warm water utility sink in the winter and for some reason not using cold water makes it totally doable. seattle is one of those 'progressive' cities that is considering banning outdoor hand washing as environmentally unsound, especially now that we have a former sierra club president for a mayor. when that day comes you will see me practising civil disobedience outside still washing my vehicle. i suppose one of those carwashes where you wash the car with a brush and spray it off, could work in a pinch, i would bring a pail with your own soap wash it by hand and then rinse it with thier system.

i agree on the no automated carwash, the water is recycled and contains sand. i use a hose connected to a warm water utility sink in the winter and for some reason not using cold water makes it totally doable. seattle is one of those 'progressive' cities that is considering banning outdoor hand washing as environmentally unsound, especially now that we have a former sierra club president for a mayor. when that day comes you will see me practising civil disobedience outside still washing my vehicle. i suppose one of those carwashes where you wash the car with a brush and spray it off, could work in a pinch, i would bring a pail with your own soap wash it by hand and then rinse it with thier system.

Usually - 'always' in my multiple years' experience and to my knowledge - the 'recycled' water is filtered, thus eliminating sand and grit. I haven't had any scratches due to the touchless car washes. It's sometimes tough with a soft-top convertible because the water jets can come from 'all' directions...

The issue with a touchless wash is the detergents. They are very, very harsh. Felt carwash the issue is detergents and filthy felt tips.

I wash mine with Optimum No-Rinse in the garage.

The issue with a touchless wash is the detergents. They are very, very harsh. Felt carwash the issue is detergents and filthy felt tips.

I was mine with Optimum No-Rinse in the garage.

I've always wondered whether the 'wax' they offer at additional price (at touchless washes) should be taken? On the one hand, it may help, on the other, it may coat the windscreen... Any thought or comment?