Anyone Have A Picture Of The New Mats & Accelerator?

peteanello

I contacted my dealer about setting up an appointment to get the software updated to turn the engine off when the brake AND the gas pedals are depressed at the same time. I told him I only want the software update but NOT to have my gas pedal modified/reshaped nor do I want the floor thinned. He replied, "Please note that the pedal and carpet modification has to be done as part of the recall."

So it looks like I do NOT have a choice. I can't opt out. :-( Anyone else got only the software update without the pedal and floor modification?

I did,Monday.No pedal shaving or carpet work.Just software update.

BTW,I don't believe the engine shuts down.That would be dangerous.The software update just cuts off any accelleration when brakes are applied.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I contacted my dealer about setting up an appointment to get the software updated to turn the engine off when the brake AND the gas pedals are depressed at the same time. I told him I only want the software update but NOT to have my gas pedal modified/reshaped nor do I want the floor thinned. He replied, "Please note that the pedal and carpet modification has to be done as part of the recall."

So it looks like I do NOT have a choice. I can't opt out. :-( Anyone else got only the software update without the pedal and floor modification?

I did,Monday.No pedal shaving or carpet work.Just software update.

BTW,I don't believe the engine shuts down.That would be dangerous.The software update just cuts off any accelleration when brakes are applied.

I totally refused to cut the pedal, change carpet and upgrade software...all of them are good... there is several methods to handle the car if you have a problem with unwanted acceleration...I have had such a problem before /not with ES350/...then god knows what a problem you will get with this upgrading....if this software is done in a post haste?..

I had my software update recently and I feel the drive is a little more smoother, rather than the bulky feel generally ES350 has. But one thing, previously when ever I turn a little fast, my car would automatically apply the brakes a little and slows down the turn,...maybe this is what is ABS.(I don't know)

But now after the software update I don't think my car is doing that anymore. I have tried it and it doesn't anymore apply the brakes. Not sure if this my car or does anyone who had their software update had the same issue.

Is this something caused by the software update.

Thank you

I had my software update recently and I feel the drive is a little more smoother, rather than the bulky feel generally ES350 has. But one thing, previously when ever I turn a little fast, my car would automatically apply the brakes a little and slows down the turn,...maybe this is what is ABS.(I don't know)

But now after the software update I don't think my car is doing that anymore. I have tried it and it doesn't anymore apply the brakes. Not sure if this my car or does anyone who had their software update had the same issue.

Thank you

I haven't upgraded the software yet, but I do agree with you that the Brake Assist doesn't appear to kick in on the 2010 ES 350 compared to my previous 2006 ES 330. On the 2006 ES 330, whenever I went down the hill towards the traffic light and hit the brake slightly to slow down, the brake assist would kick in and I could feel it "helping". But on the 2010 ES 350, traveling on that same stretch of road, it does not do any brake assist anymore.

Can anyone suggest a sure-proof way to test the brake assist feature on the 2010 ES 350 to make sure it is actually working?

Yeah I just spoke to my salesman and you can opt out by signing a waiver, but he's trying to convince me have the fix done. I don't mind the s/w upgrade, but I'm hesitant about shaving the foam under the mats. He said you don't even notice the cut accelerator pedal, He also said they anchor the mats to the seat rail, has anyone has this done??..Wouldn't mind seeing a pic if anyone has one. Thanks

Thank you

I haven't upgraded the software yet, but I do agree with you that the Brake Assist doesn't appear to kick in on the 2010 ES 350 compared to my previous 2006 ES 330. On the 2006 ES 330, whenever I went down the hill towards the traffic light and hit the brake slightly to slow down, the brake assist would kick in and I could feel it "helping". But on the 2010 ES 350, traveling on that same stretch of road, it does not do any brake assist anymore.

Can anyone suggest a sure-proof way to test the brake assist feature on the 2010 ES 350 to make sure it is actually working?

Thanks! Maybe I will open a new thread for more visibility.

Yeah I just spoke to my salesman and you can opt out by signing a waiver, but he's trying to convince me have the fix done. I don't mind the s/w upgrade, but I'm hesitant about shaving the foam under the mats. He said you don't even notice the cut accelerator pedal, He also said they anchor the mats to the seat rail, has anyone has this done??..Wouldn't mind seeing a pic if anyone has one. Thanks

When I bought my ES ,the mats were anchored to the seat rail with black plastic ties.

I just had the software update last Monday and at my request, no pedal shaving or carpet work .You're the first person to mention of any mat anchoring which is ridiculous.

Thank you

This is your imagination. The car will never apply the brakes itself unless you are physically applying the brakes. ABS keeps the brakes from locking up during a panic stop...

When I bought my ES ,the mats were anchored to the seat rail with black plastic ties.

I just had the software update last Monday and at my request, no pedal shaving or carpet work .You're the first person to mention of any mat anchoring which is ridiculous.

When I bought my ES in January, the mat was anchored to the floor carpet with white plastic ties (think Macy price tags!). I called the Lexus Customer Experience number and they said this should be temporary. After I bring my car in to have things fixed (like you, I only want the software update), they should put in a different mat WITHOUT the plastic ties.

I am surprised you still have the plastic ties attached! That looks so tacky.

OK, I am really confused now. So far, people have been talking about the 2010 ES 350 recall as involving:

1. A software update so that if the brake is applied while the gas pedal is also applied, then the engine cuts off;

2. Shaving the pedal;

3. Thinning the floor.

I just called the Lindsay Lexus Service Center in Alexandria, VA, and they told me that the software update is NOT for the 2010 ES 350 but for the HS model only! I countered them several times but they insisted it is only for the HS and that the recall work done on the ES is #2 and #3. Arrrgh! What's the deal?!

I just called the Lindsay Lexus Service Center in Alexandria, VA, and they told me that the software update is NOT for the 2010 ES 350 but for the HS model only! I countered them several times but they insisted it is only for the HS and that the recall work done on the ES is #2 and #3. Arrrgh! What's the deal?!

They are either ill-informed or blowing smoke. My new Lexus is about 3 weeks old. Taken directly from the "My Lexus" website under service:

9LG PEDAL AND FLOOR MOD, ECU REPROGRAMMING

Done by Wilkie Lexus in PA 2/5

Actually when i first got mine the brakes applied themselves when taking a parkway exit at high speeds (former maxima sports definitly handled turns at higher speed better)

tis true.....

Thank you

This is your imagination. The car will never apply the brakes itself unless you are physically applying the brakes. ABS keeps the brakes from locking up during a panic stop...

Actually when i first got mine the brakes applied themselves when taking a parkway exit at high speeds (former maxima sports definitly handled turns at higher speed better)

tis true.....

If you mean the VSC kicked in, flashed the traction light and beeped to indicate it intervened and righted a skid by strategically braking a specific wheel or wheels then I would buy that. But if you're saying the vehicle just applied the brakes and slowed you down because it thought you were turning too fast...that was your imagination too.

No not my imagination the brakes depressed on their own--- and not a skid but what the sware thought was i guess as i was on a curve off the parkway...

whether the light went on, i could not remember just that the brakes depressed on their own...

not my imagination

tis true.....

If you mean the VSC kicked in, flashed the traction light and beeped to indicate it intervened and righted a skid by strategically braking a specific wheel or wheels then I would buy that. But if you're saying the vehicle just applied the brakes and slowed you down because it thought you were turning too fast...that was your imagination too.

Was your foot on the brakes at the time?

Probably what you experienced was the VSC kicking in and applying braking to specific wheels because the computer sensed that the vehicle was about to enter a skid or had already entered a skid. It happens very quickly.

I suppose that the computer applying braking may make the pedal feel softer which would give the feeling that the vehicle had depressed the pedal on its own...

However, when you enter a turn and you are not in a skid or about to go into a skid the system will not just depress the brakes.

Just received a call from my dealership here in Orange County, CA.

They said my car (2008 ES350) is part of the recall. They will need half day to:

1. Reshape the accelerator

2. Shave the flooring under the driver's side mat

3. Install an override system

For my time and trouble, they're throwing in a wash and a full tank of gas. If they throw in a guarantee by the Toyota CEO that this will fix the problem, I'd be a very happy camper. Ha ha. :P :P

Actually was on the gas and i felt the car slowing --passed foot over and no brake as it wa lower...

don't remember if there were any lights that cam on--.

Again I was on a parway exit like a C--going fast

cheers

Was your foot on the brakes at the time?

Probably what you experienced was the VSC kicking in and applying braking to specific wheels because the computer sensed that the vehicle was about to enter a skid or had already entered a skid. It happens very quickly.

I suppose that the computer applying braking may make the pedal feel softer which would give the feeling that the vehicle had depressed the pedal on its own...

However, when you enter a turn and you are not in a skid or about to go into a skid the system will not just depress the brakes.

The slowing you felt was not physical braking as I told the guy above, it was probably engine braking or just general slowing caused by the strain on the tires through the turn...the brake pedal must have been your imagination.

There is no mechanism within the car that will depress the brake pedal on its own.

Just received a call from my dealership here in Orange County, CA.

They said my car (2008 ES350) is part of the recall. They will need half day to:

1. Reshape the accelerator

2. Shave the flooring under the driver's side mat

3. Install an override system

For my time and trouble, they're throwing in a wash and a full tank of gas. If they throw in a guarantee by the Toyota CEO that this will fix the problem, I'd be a very happy camper. Ha ha. :P :P

Just an update...

Dropped off my car at 7am, and it was ready at 3:30pm. I had asked my service mgr to take the car on a freeway drive to make sure everything worked correctly. Glad I did! The service mgr called to tell me that everything went smoothly and is in working order, BUT, my front brake pads and rotors were worn down, so they replaced them FREE. When I picked up my car, she was shiny clean with a full tank of gas (I did a lot of driving over the weekend to take advantage of the free gas). I haven't noticed any difference with the accelerator. Feels OK to me.

I'm attaching a couple of pedal pics.

pedal1r.jpg

pedal2y.jpg

Yep thats what it looks like.

To me that is completely preposterous to do to a $40,000 car. That's the fix? In the very least they could design a new pedal.

I think they went with a "band aid" method. I'm not 100% sold on the floor mat/pedal theory.

My appointment with Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria, VA, in response to the floormat recall is next week. I just called them to make sure I will be able to just get the software update and NOT the pedal modification nor the floor thinning, with the provision I sign a waiver. At first they said yes, no problem, but then they called me shortly thereafter to tell me that "their boss" said that they won't be able to do that. It is either all or nothing and that they are required by law to apply all the remedial steps as part of the recall. I told them that some people hava brought their ES to the Lexus dealership in Rockville, MD, and they allowed the option to get only the software update without the pedal and floor modification. They said that this is not allowed and that the Rockville dealership can get into trouble for doing this. Talk about mixed messages!! I will call the Lexus Customer Experience number and talk to them about this and find out why some dealerships allow the software update ONLY, while other dealerships require the all-or-nothing approach!