Driver's Side Floor Mat Semi-permanently Attached. Why?

timzter

I just bought a 2010 Lexus ES 350. The floor mat on the driver's side is semi-permanently attached to the carpet underlay with plastic fasteners and there is label from the manufacturer warning not to cut the plastic fasteners until we hear from Toyota (not the exact words but essentially that's what it says). Does anyone know why? Is this related to the recent recall of Toyota cars with the gas pedal getting stuck to the floor for certain Toyota models?

Might want to double check with your dealer....but it sounds like that is related to the floor mat recall...not the accelerator recall.

:cheers:

Ahah http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/29/t...3_n_303584.html

When they eventually fix it, will we get complimentary floor mats since they gave me cheap carpet-like floor mats in my new 2010 ES 350?

AFAIK, those 2010 ES 350's that are built from January 2010 on will have the new & updated floor mats already installed.

Well, not mine, I am sure, since the yellow state inspection sticker on the windshield says November. So the car had to have been made before the end of 2009. So what I am not sure about is whether the floor mats that came with the car are the "CORRECT" and "OFFICIAL" floor mats for the 2010 ES 350. How can I find out?

I would imagine since they are semi-permanatly attached they are not the new mats. I just got a new 2010 and took those semi attached mats out and got some all weather mats. The problem as I have read it was that people were stacking all weather mats on the carpet mats and they would slide into pedal. There is considerable distance between the mat and pedal so personally I don't see the problem and will simply be ready to use neutral IF somethign ever happened.

Take a picture and post it...we can tell you.

Pictures attached. As you can see, the material looks cheap. Shoe prints everywhere. Also, it is the same color no matter what the car's interior looks like. Ugly!

post-57792-1264796320_thumb.jpg

post-57792-1264796333_thumb.jpg

post-57792-1264796341_thumb.jpg

Yeah, those are not the OE mats....Just keep bugging your dealer until they arrive. B)

What is OE[/b]?

Yeah, those are not the OE mats....Just keep bugging your dealer until they arrive. B)

I called the Lexus Customer Experience number at 800-255-3987 and they advised that the carpet-like mats that I got for my new 2010 Lexus 350 are the "correct" ones and that the plastic ties were added only as a temporary precaution until further notice. But the point is that they are saying that *is* the mat I should be getting, so I don't know what you mean by "OE mats". I told them that the charcoal colored mats are totally wrong for the parchment/tan/beige interior. It should instead be a dark tan or dark brown color to complement the interior colors. They said they will check for me if an alternate color exists and will contact me early next week. I think, at the end, I will get rid of these tacky carpet-like mats and replace them with the all-weather mats.

Those look like the OEM mats to me. "OE" or "OEM" stands for "original equipment" and "original equipment manufaturer".

All cars come with carpet mats. I hardly think they're tacky...they're what floor mats look like. I use allweather mats but only in the winter.

Those look like the OEM mats to me. "OE" or "OEM" stands for "original equipment" and "original equipment manufaturer".

All cars come with carpet mats. I hardly think they're tacky...they're what floor mats look like. I use allweather mats but only in the winter.

So if what I have aren't the "OE" mats, what do real "OE" maps look like for the 2010 Lexus ES 350? Can someone upload some pics?

I called the Lexus Customer Experience number at 800-255-3987 and they advised that the carpet-like mats that I got for my new 2010 Lexus 350 are the "correct" ones and that the plastic ties were added only as a temporary precaution until further notice. But the point is that they are saying that *is* the mat I should be getting, so I don't know what you mean by "OE mats". I told them that the charcoal colored mats are totally wrong for the parchment/tan/beige interior. It should instead be a dark tan or dark brown color to complement the interior colors. They said they will check for me if an alternate color exists and will contact me early next week. I think, at the end, I will get rid of these tacky carpet-like mats and replace them with the all-weather mats.

Our salesman told us the gray mats were the OEM mats meant for our parchment interior. He said that they were supposed to match the charcoal at the top of the dash. Despite the reasoning, they look terrible. We took them out ASAP and replaced with Weathertech tan mats. The color isn't perfect, but it's better than gray. Front mats fit o.k., the rears don't seem to have any relation to the space they're in. Despite this, we don't regret the decision, since new all-weather mats from Lexus are not available. Given the weather, we had no time to wait.

You can also buy much nicer carpet mats too. I bought a set of Lloyd Heavyweight mats for mine a few years ago and the carpeting is so plush they remind me of the sheepskin mats on a Rolls Royce. Really nice and they have hundreds of colors, they'll send samples and you can find something that will work well with the interior.

http://www.ultimateautoaccessories.com/Bra...Heavyweight.htm

You can also buy much nicer carpet mats too. I bought a set of Lloyd Heavyweight mats for mine a few years ago and the carpeting is so plush they remind me of the sheepskin mats on a Rolls Royce. Really nice and they have hundreds of colors, they'll send samples and you can find something that will work well with the interior.

http://www.ultimateautoaccessories.com/Bra...Heavyweight.htm

Those look great. Glad to know that option is out there. Thanks.

Our salesman told us the gray mats were the OEM mats meant for our parchment interior. He said that they were supposed to match the charcoal at the top of the dash. Despite the reasoning, they look terrible. We took them out ASAP and replaced with Weathertech tan mats. The color isn't perfect, but it's better than gray. Front mats fit o.k., the rears don't seem to have any relation to the space they're in. Despite this, we don't regret the decision, since new all-weather mats from Lexus are not available. Given the weather, we had no time to wait.

What do you feel about the tan 'carpet' lining on the SIDES of the gear-stick section and by the door? To me it looks bad. They are coarse looking and somewhat creased in certain spots. It has a very coarse/sparse pile. I don't remember my old (traded-in) 2006 ES 330 looking that way.

Yeah, pretty disappointed with the carpet on the sides of the interior. Also, if you use your finger to push against it (such as the carpet on the SIDE of the gear-stick section), it actually gives--that is, there is a pocket of air underneath the carpet. The carpet is not snugly wrapped taut against the underlying structure. Anyone else noticed that? I want to know if it is just happening in my 2010 ES 350 or everyone else's as well.

• 5 months later...

My 2010 ES, built in 11/09 has the exact same floor mats with the temporary warning label. My car has the cashmere interior and the charcoal floor mats didn't look correct to me. When I asked the dealer at delivery, he told me that this color mat was used on both the charcoal and the cashmere interiors and that it matches the charcoal dash color used on both interiors. I'd also like to know if these are the mats that are supposed to be with the car permanently or if they are a temporary substitute.