Toyota Quality...?

Lexusfreak

Bottom line the way I see things If I am honest...with all the media attention this has gathered, I found that Toyota...itself (including it's PR people & right up & including it's new President Akio Toyoda - the Grandson of Toyota's founder no less!) & it's dealers came across as severly 'dazed & confused'...the service departments are the 'front lines' that deal with this sort of thing...that's Toyota's responsibility to relate all relevent info to it's dealers (or come out with a comprehensive & easy to understand statement which at the beginning they did not) to assure worried customers...to say that the floor mat recall is not related to the accelerator pedal recall was simply nowhere near good enough & possibly even confused things even more. :rolleyes:

The events that transpired lately left me with the impression that even Toyota Head Office didn't know what the hell was going on...nor how to handle things on both fronts...the floor mat & accelerator pedal issues...granted we are talking about millions of vehicles here & many models over their product line...but the floor mat recall was issued last year & the vehicles effected represent roughly 60% of Toyota's sales in North America, not to mention that credible complaints have been documented for over a year now with deaths occuring because of the accelerator problem! :chairshot:

I sincerely hope Toyota learns from their 'public relations' mistakes should something this serious ever happen again...but I think many customers will be shopping other competitors at least in the near term...time will tell what severity this will have on resale values & Toyota's overall reputation long term...It should be interesting.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still early in this process, but I'd have to say that a "design" problem, it is not

Of course it is a design problem, that is why Toyota have re-design the parts and plan to install the new re-design part on all the recalled cars.

Here is a link to two pictures of accelerator assemblies...the CTS version & the Denso...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/whats-wro...sembly-edition/

Also, I mentioned previously that I don't think this recall is over just yet & would probably be expanded...well here you go...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toyotas-r...n-japan-models/

:cheers:

The Denso unit seems to have a much larger pivot point which means it has a larger and heavier duty bearing or a rotation device. My guess is that it is that bearing or rotation device that is getting stuck or jam.

I think the LS is pretty insulated from this issue. I was thinking a new ES.

I'd bet the ranch & raise you my ES that the LS is not part of this Steve.

Then again, I would have bet $$$ on your vehicle would be an LS. ;)

The LS pedal is hinged at the bottom, like the V8 GS. Totally different pedal.

The ES is built on the Camry platform, the RX has been until the 2010, and the GX and LX share platforms with the 4 Runner and Land Cruiser. The LS, IS, GS, SC are all on Lexus-specific platforms...

Toyota's Official Announcement...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toyotas-o...l-announcement/

And this is very interesting...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/exclusive...e-recalled-too/

TTAC took apart both the Denso & CTS units (rumor is more will be recalled)...

Well, this certainly doesnt make me feel any better. From that second link, the Denso unit actaully looks cheaper than the CTS unit that is being recall. I cannot believe these are $15 gas pedals installed on these cars, I would much rather pay more for a safer gas pedal if I had a choice. The gas pedal and brake are not a very good place for cost cutting in my opinion.

I agree...I was diappointed to see the differences between the two units myself. :huh: Thought the Denso unit would be much more robust...but it does not appear to be the case.

Kudo's to TTAC for doing that experiment too.

No, the ES and IS were in the previous recall for the floor mats...not this recall.

I smell a rat personally. Looking at those units deconstructed...I don't buy its the accelerators at all.