Test Drove A 2010 4runner And 2010 Gx460

denslexusgx470

So lately I've had the opportunity to test drive both the new 4Runner and the new GX. Since I have both of the previous generations, I had the chance to compare. My initial thoughts:

NOT REALLY TOO FAR OFF!

The 4Runner is where I noticed a big change. First of all, it's roomy!! Wow! I have to admit I felt a lot better in the bigger cabin of the 4Runner, and they didn't sacrifice ground clearance. Engine supposidly has more horses under the hood but honestly, it felt the same :huh: Felt like a sluggish/sleepy version of my 4Runner but we also have to remember these cars haven't been broken in yet as the 4Runner I tested only had 30 miles on the clock. Brakes felt and sound the same like mine. The only noticeable difference from the old 4Runner to the new one, is the STEERING. The steering is a lot lighter for a car that heavy! I know my old RX300 had a feather light steering, and many people complained about that but I'm wondering why Toyota/Lexus are gradually going back to the light steering characteristic?

The GX460 was a lucky drive! I went to the formal debut of the vehicle at my dealership and my sales guy told me to come back the following day for a chance to possibly test drive a GX if the customer doesn't call back. To my luck, customer didn't call back so I took the opportunity to drive the GX460. The space inside the new GX isn't too noticeable since my GX was already roomy to begin with, unlike the "sports car" feel of the small cabin space of my 4Runner. It did feel like an FJ Cruiser though because the windshield is more erect and so is the dashboard. Engine power, once again, felt the same! Yes they raised the horsepower on the GX also, but it got heavier at the same time. :huh: So it counter-balanced it in my opinion, and it felt and sounded just the same as my GX. The steering wheel was a tad bit lighter to handle, BUT since the GX is a really top-heavy vehicle, it didn't feel too light compared to the new 4Runner vs the old 4Runner. The new gadgets on the GX are great I heard, but obviously you can't play around with everything in the car just on a test drive. The GX also felt sleepy/sluggish, and this one only had 8 miles on the clock. The sales people were all staring at me when I pulled up into the parking lot because my sales guy informed me that not all of them have driven the new GX yet, and my sales guy even claims that he hasn't drive one yet aside from pulling the car forward from the platform onto the parking lot :o

To me, both vehicles were great! But both had too many resemblances of their ancestors. The 19 speaker ML setup in the new GX is amazing tho! I have to admit! Felt like having your own personal home theater on the road. :rolleyes: As for the "party mode" of the 4Runner, I don't see why you wouldn't turn it on all the time if it turns on an extra 2 speakers in the back to make the music sound better :huh:

Good writeup Dens! Interesting comment about the power of the new 4runner, as they've given it 270hp, but in a v6 format (no more v8's). I've kicked the tires of the new 4runner once, and not quite sure how I feel about them. Out of all the changes they've made, the one change I'm curious to see how well it holds up is the window switches. They put them on top of the interior door trip next to the glass. Easy to use, but how long until they short out due to a direct shot of water that has no place to go but directly into the circuitry of the switch.

When it comes to SUV's, I'm either a v8, or I'm not an SUV owner. That said, we're keeping our 05 until either the wheels fall off (which given the 80k miles on it and the fact that it still drives/rides like new, might be awhile), or something else comes along that we like better. But if it's an SUV, it's gotta have a v8 for it to be in my garage. The torque of that 4.7 is just stunning. I've never had a vehicle that felt like the frame wanted to jump off of the skin of the vehicle.

The thing is, the power of the V6 and V8 4Runner is the same. Acceleration time and towing capacity is the same with the only difference being that the V8 4wd is a full-time 4wd like the GX while the V6 4wd isn't. They did raise the torque on the GX from the old 320lb-ft to 370lb-ft I believe, that the new one has now. But like I said, heavier weight but more power, means it will have the same power as the old ones. They did raise the 4Runner's HP to 270, which is above the 4th gen's V8 hp but the 4Runner too is heavier than the 4th gen.

The window switches totally reminds me of a Land Rover! That's where they got that idea from and yes I wonder how long those will last once water can easily seep into the switches now. People I guess have complained that the switches were too low on the previous generation, but now they exaggerated it too much and raised it too high. :huh:

I thought the biggest improvement on the new 4runner was the extra headroom, of course the interior is nicer as well. I saw them both in the showroom but did not drive them so I cannot comment on their handling opr power, but I had a 05 GX470 and that SUV is not exactly a hot rod considering it has a V8. The new GX's interior kind of remind me of a Rover, very nicely done. The price has gone up quite a bit as well, the one I saw in the showroom was $64000. I bought my 05 GX for $45000, so that would make a increase of $5000 per model year. A little over-priced in my opinion.

The interior seemed to be to be trying to be angular and macho for no real purpose. Lots of angles, hard metal covers that slid around to access switches. Switches over dramatized in large...truckish shapes and configurations. Dash is very upright and Jeep-ish. I think the interior in the previous GX was much more attractive and functional. Given the choice I think the Benz GL is much more attractive.

Yeah, I was dissapointed to say the least when I was ready for the SUV thing as well. It's almost like a "poser" SUV than being a real user SUV. Great for the mom and kids to the store and soccer, not so great for real adventure and outdoor use.

As for the power, the more important number is the "average hp and torque" across the rev band, not the peak number. Most V6's take 3000 to 4000 rpm to start being able to really produce power, whereas the V8's produce almost all thier power just off idle around 1000-1500 rpm, even though the "peak" numbers may be the same, the V8 will be a couple car lengths ahead everytime. (If gearing and weight factors are measured and balanced as well.)

But I don't think they can put a whole bunch of power on the GX anyway. It's drivetrain and suspension just aren't designed for that. It's designed to be an urban cruiser, and not much else. If you start adding more torque and acdeleration, then your going to need to stiffen the suspension up more to keep it from tilting back everytime you mash the gas, and I really don't think they want to have to do that.

The new GX try to go upsacle, the new interior looks more like a Rover interior than a Lexus. Kind of look like the new LX's interior. Some may like the new look and some may not, personally, I prefer the old interior. The pricing is out of control, theya re now in the MB GL, X5 and Rover territory. The GX is a nice truck, but I would much rather buy any one of those 3 other truck than the GX. Finally, the torque band, Lexus should have put a forced induction V6 in their to compensate for the lack of low end torque and where in the world is the diesel option powertrain?

The design needs to grow on me also. The interior reminds me of a Lincoln for some reason. Unlike when the 1st Gen GX came out, or 8 months before it came out, I fell in LOVE with it the first time ;) :cheers:

Headroom is bigger on the 4Runner though, which would be the ONLY thing that my dad likes if he gets rid of the 06 for a new one.. Other than that we're not too fond of the styling on the 4Runner. My dad does like the GX460 for some reason. I love the LED tails and the available HID now, but does that really justify the extra $7k on the base price (Base price in 03 was $45,700)? Not to mention that the HIDs only come in the GX Premium, and not available on the GX regular

I agree denslexusgx470, when I 1st sat in the 05 GX, I was in love with the interior. THis new interior, I can take it or leave it. I could not test drive the new GX460 because it was inside the showroom and was the only one they had. Did the GX you drove have the KDSS suspension? How did it handle compare to the old one?

The new GX all come with KDSS as standard now. Honestly I don't feel a BIG difference of driving this beast with or without KDSS as my GX does not have KDSS. The Lexus representative did realize that I drive a rare color GX though lol (Sand Dollar Pearl) The truth about discontinuing this color was not solely because of "paint peel" problems but because LX470 owners gave a negative feedback and didn't want the GX to look like their $65k SUV

11861_231732624492_613954492_4164949_5135185_n.jpg

LX470 owners gave a negative feedback and didn't want the GX to look like their $65k SUV

What about the now, does the LX owners think it is ok for GX to have the sand dollar color now that the GX actually cost $65000? :)