New Tires For 2006 Ls 430

Vein

I read through the previous recommendations. I need to replace the Dunlop sp sport 5000 245/45R18 tires on my 2006 LS 430. I like the smooth ride but have two complaints with them - one they wear out after just 30000 miles and two they have no traction on icy road. I live in southern CA and only rarely go up to the mountains when it snows. The one time I did we almost died. I was up in Mountain High ski resort and nearly went off the cliff despite having cable chains on the rear wheels. I could not steer the car at all - it felt like an out of control sled.

For those who tried the Michelin primacy MXV4 - are these better in wet rainy conditions and light snow?

Any other recommendations for all season tires for the driving in southern california. We drive about 20K-30K mile a year so the Dunlops are out of the question because we have twice replaced them already over 3 years.

Thanks.

My choice in tires for that car would definitely be the Primacy MXV4. I think 30k in tire life is about all you're going to get from low profile tires on those wheels unfortunately, even with the longer wearing Michelins. Thats the tradeoff when it comes to low profile tires. Smooth quiet tires also often suffer short treadwear. At least the Michelins have a warranty...

The Primacy is good in the rain and okay in the snow. The LS on all-season tires is pretty awful in the snow, I don't think any tires are going to help with that except snow tires.

Don't you just love the caution that Lexus gives for the 2006 LS430:

18-in performance tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may substantially be less than 15,000 miles, depending upon driving conditions.

You are doing absolutely super if you are getting 30,000 miles out of a set.

I have Yokohama Avid Touring S tires. Blake918 has them as well. I think we can both attest that they are fantastic tires. They are quiet, have a nice ride, and also seem to last FOREVER!

I have almost 15k on mine and they still look brand new! Literally! And what a bargain compared to Michelins...

I'm getting ready to put some Yokohamas on the Prius...I'm looking at the Touring-S or the Avid TRZ. The TRZ seems to get better reviews, but the sidewall design is better on the Touring-S.

If I like them I'd be willing to give them a shot on the Lexus.