Help! '98 Gs 300 Lost All Power While Driving!

Just had major service done on my '98 GS 300 which has just over 100K miles and has been running great.

Few days ago, as I was waiting at a light, the car did a quick sputter as if it was going to shut off. Panel lights came on briefly but car returned to normal. I got to work and when I opened the car, the dome light was very dim. When I tried to start the car, it wouldn't start. A second later, the dome light returned to normal and the car started fine right away.

Following day, I had just started accelerating from a red light and the car just shut itself off. Both engine and all electrical shut down. Luckily, I was able to cruise to the side of the road and put the car in neutral. A second later, car came back to life on its own and started on the first attempt.

I took it straight to the dealer and they've had it for about 3 days and can't seem to find the problem. On board computer doesn't show anything and all electrical seem to test fine.

About 5 years ago, the car wouldn't start one night. Jump starting didn't help either. Next day, it just started up on the first try. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong then either.

I really like my GS 300 but need to find the reason why the car would all of a sudden shutoff completely. Can anyone help me? It's still at the dealer and I'd like to give them ideas so I can get it addressed so I can keep the car.

Thanks!

DP

The only issue I've had on my 00 LS that has caused exactly the same symptoms has been a battery in the process of failing. The exact same symptons happened when at least three batteries started to fail. The repair shop owner who services my car told me that the internal battery connections between battery cells can crack, break and reattach as the car hits bumps and turns corners. My 00 LS is on at least its fourth battery including the original one installed at the factory. One of the replacement batteries lasted barely one year. I thought it was interesting that the failing batteries would test as being OK when I tested the specific gravity of the fluid with a hydrometer but they usually wouldn't charge at a reasonable rate when I put them on a battery charger.

If your battery is more than three years old, consider replacing it.

Of course (standard disclaimer!), it could be something else.

The only issue I've had on my 00 LS that has caused exactly the same symptoms has been a battery in the process of failing. The exact same symptons happened when at least three batteries started to fail. The repair shop owner who services my car told me that the internal battery connections between battery cells can crack, break and reattach as the car hits bumps and turns corners. My 00 LS is on at least its fourth battery including the original one installed at the factory. One of the replacement batteries lasted barely one year. I thought it was interesting that the failing batteries would test as being OK when I tested the specific gravity of the fluid with a hydrometer but they usually wouldn't charge at a reasonable rate when I put them on a battery charger.

If your battery is more than three years old, consider replacing it.

Of course (standard disclaimer!), it could be something else.

Similar problem, my 1998 GS 400 quit on highway then started right up . Had it checked on computer noted "lost communication". Technician suggested changing to spare key. Changed key and since then after 3, 00 miles no problem.

Double check the ground connection FROM the battery to the BODY/FRAME...Early ES's had developed a similar issue. It is caused by age/enviroment/material breakdown and you can guess the rest...

What I am advising is to disconnect the contacts and clean them and reinstall, Or better yet replace the Neg cable with huge guage copper cable (not wire, My guage numbers escape me at this time, I beleive it is 10 guage or bigger)

• 2 weeks later...
Just had major service done on my '98 GS 300 which has just over 100K miles and has been running great.

Few days ago, as I was waiting at a light, the car did a quick sputter as if it was going to shut off. Panel lights came on briefly but car returned to normal. I got to work and when I opened the car, the dome light was very dim. When I tried to start the car, it wouldn't start. A second later, the dome light returned to normal and the car started fine right away.

Following day, I had just started accelerating from a red light and the car just shut itself off. Both engine and all electrical shut down. Luckily, I was able to cruise to the side of the road and put the car in neutral. A second later, car came back to life on its own and started on the first attempt.

I took it straight to the dealer and they've had it for about 3 days and can't seem to find the problem. On board computer doesn't show anything and all electrical seem to test fine.

About 5 years ago, the car wouldn't start one night. Jump starting didn't help either. Next day, it just started up on the first try. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong then either.

I really like my GS 300 but need to find the reason why the car would all of a sudden shutoff completely. Can anyone help me? It's still at the dealer and I'd like to give them ideas so I can get it addressed so I can keep the car.

Thanks!

DP

Battery, alternator, or ground problem. Make sure alternator can put out under load (headlights, blower, etc on)

• 1 month later...

A little late to help, but maybe it'll help others.

Our 99gs300 died while while at an idle waiting in line.

So the root cause of this one was an aftermarket battery was installed 3yrs ago. The posts were 1) small on the diameter size and 2) poor materials (galvanic corrosion - severly- on post connections)..

PUlled both terminals, cleaned and reinstalled.

Not further issues since and its been about 8 months.

Enought the scare the wife unfortunately.

D