Bought A 95 On Ebay

OmarG

So I bought a 95 model on ebay. Its white over tan with heated seats and trac. Has 112k miles. The car is only a two owner and its been in Maine its whole life. No body rust, shiny paint, clean interior.

Check engine light was on, got the the code p0420 and po430 catalyst below efficiency. I was like.... oh crap, but i cleared the code and drove over 1k miles home and the light hasn't come back. Car avg'ed 27 mpg without even trying.

The reason i got it so cheap was because the vehicle had been involved in two minor accidents (1 with a pedestrian!). The bumber has two tiny tears at the indicator lights, a broken corner light, small repairable dent right above corner light, and . The real selling point was that the 90k service was done in early october at the dealership. The car needs brakes and rotors (hopefully just turning em will be fine) and exhaust gaskets. Needs little things here and there but all in all very solid, smooth, clean vehicle.

All in all i got a great deal on a low mileage well maintained vehicle. I've been looking for a newer LS since my 93 is still nice, but it has almost 290k on it now. Decided she's been reliable and I'm gonna retire her to spare car duty. I DO NOT plan on selling it as i wont get any money for it(just changed all the suspension, $600 incl new and used parts).

will update with pics and 1st gen and 2nd gen comparo soon

I looked at the car, and you really got a good deal.

I would not even have the fender dent fixed, I love original paint.

just fix the rest and enjoy it....

my 2 97's have 236 & 247K on them and run perfect and look show room new

Hey Billy, why don't you upload photos of the fine collection of cars you've owned in the past along with your current LS's to the Gallery section of your profile. I think you'd be approaching Leno's collection, although he still owns his.

So I bought a 95 model on ebay.

Bravo! Yes, post pics!

Gee, I didnt know your '93 had 290K. I thought mine was high at 224K. :)

Wow, thats amazing. Mine has 224K, but its like it has 774K with all of the minor nagging issues I cant afford to repair. :( Oh well.

Enjoy those fine cars. :)

Hey Billy, why don't you upload photos of the fine collection of cars you've owned in the past along with your current LS's to the Gallery section of your profile. I think you'd be approaching Leno's collection, although he still owns his.

I dont know how to do that. I tried. deleated some added one and got lost.

can you give me instructions?

HERE IS A LINK TO PHOTOBUCKET http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/b...20have%20owned/

I dont know how to do that. I tried. deleated some added one and got lost.

can you give me instructions?

HERE IS A LINK TO PHOTOBUCKET http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/b...20have%20owned/

Ok try this,

1. go "Your Albums"

2. go to "edit" and check the "public" box to allow your images to be viewed

3. from "select operation", select "upload image"

4. on this page you can title the image if you want or just go down to "browse" and select the image you want to upload then click ok or open.

5. repeat for as many images as you like

Don't know if you upload multiples or not. I think you can choose to track comments and or ratings, etc. Hope this helps/works.

edit: Even better, the photobucket site is perfect. Just embed the link in with your signature.

That's an incredible collection btw! :cheers:

So i havent got any pics yet but i will soon.

SO maybe its all mental but i feel that the 2nd gen LS is quite a step up for the 1LS.

Its

-faster

-quieter

-more nimble

-more fuel efficient

-more interior space

-better leather

-padded armrests

-more storage

-better brakes

-better sound system

-dual zone climate control

-one touch open sunroof

-all auto-dim mirrors

-better furnished trunk

-smaller turning radius

-easily replaceable shift knob

-gated shifter

-better headlights

-209 lb's lighter

All i can say is WOW am i impressed!

alright i got some pics of my 95. They aren't the best.

I dont think i ever told you guys the price

2425- ebay bid for car

150- 1 way flight to ME

about another 150 for gas and tolls

needs passenger mirror and housing >$100 (hopefully)

speedo needle became half unlit( 2 hours after i picked it up) >$75

needed remote $22 shipped from ebay

Needs brakes and maybe rotors at least $130 (oem pads and turnin rotors)

passenger corner light $40

so as is will be $2725

thinkin when i'm done with it it'll be around 3k.

not too bad for a clean,112k miles 2nd gen huh

might need strut rod bushings and ball joints due to age. They are originals for sure. I want this car too feel like new....

IMG_1199.jpg

pedestrian damage (don't worry it was pedestrians fault, and he wasnt hurt!)

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

interior shot

IMG_1204.jpg

should i replace this for $60. Convince me its worth it guys....

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

last two are the bumber rips from a low speed accident (they paid him like 1k for it soo...) Don't think i'm gonna fix.

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

there you have it guys. Lemme know how you think i did!

PS I'm poor don't make fun of my fugly house. :D

should i replace this for $60. Convince me its worth it guys....

IMG_1205.jpg

Definitely change that plate. I changed the one in my old '95, and it made a huge difference. That car is a steal. It just needs some minor TLC, and it'll look like new.

Before:post-1461-1259108921_thumb.jpg

After:post-1461-1259108933_thumb.jpg

Nice car. If I ever bought another LS400 (which I highly doubt I will, because my cars problems that I cant seem to get fixed has turned me against them), I would like a 1995-97 model. Thats a good deal... the more I see people buying these 1995-96 models under $3K, makes me realize how I got gyped by paying $3200 for my 1991. Oh well.... thats how my life goes. Poor gets poorer. ;)

I saw a LS400 just like that today blasting down the parkway.... same color too!

Enjoy it.

alright i got some pics of my 95. They aren't the best.

I dont think i ever told you guys the price

2425- ebay bid for car

150- 1 way flight to ME

about another 150 for gas and tolls

there you have it guys. Lemme know how you think i did!

PS I'm poor don't make fun of my fugly house. :D

Nothin' wrong with the house and not much wrong with the car! Congrats! :cheers:

I agree with both billy and blake. Bumper is easy if needed. Changing the plate will remind you of the great deal you just scooped!

Nothin' wrong with the house and not much wrong with the car! Congrats! :cheers:

I agree with both billy and blake. Bumper is easy if needed. Changing the plate will remind you of the great deal you just scooped!

Thats what I was going to say as well! :)

I would not worry about anything cosmetic if it were me. I would just be happy with a LS400 without mechanical woes. ;)

I would love that 95! Hope it turns out to be a good one... with low miles like that, it should be.

I have driven and looked at some 1998-2000 LS's and I believe the 95-97 are a stronger built car, I like the looks of the 98-00 front end, plus the steering wheel and the built in garage door opener, but I really believe the 95-97 cars are the cream of the crop as far as long life and high miles goes.

well... what ever that is worth..

but you done good, just enjoy it, and 90LS400Lexus why dont you trade yours in?

thanks billy! I'm really enjoying it. Once i'm done renewing my 93 LS400 i will do a more in depth comparison with pics and all. The old 93 needs alot of minor things, coolant temp sensor, rear diff fluid, rear carrier bushings, front right UCA, coolant flush n fill, power steering flush n fill, tranny flush n fill, new fuel filter... i have everything just haven't had the time.

I plan on doing a full detail of both in the spring. I just need to find a good deal on a porter cable 7424 and some lake country pads

So this is a bummer, the car stumbled on me the other day and has had low 400 -350 idles when warmed up(sometimes). I'm pretty sure I need an updated ECU...

Checked my service history on lexus.com and couldn't find any indication that it had been changed.

Anybody ever had any luck with getting corporate to pay for a new one? Car has low miles and was dealer maintained.

Shoulda been a recall!!

So this is a bummer, the car stumbled on me the other day and has had low 400 -350 idles when warmed up(sometimes). I'm pretty sure I need an updated ECU...

Checked my service history on lexus.com and couldn't find any indication that it had been changed.

Anybody ever had any luck with getting corporate to pay for a new one? Car has low miles and was dealer maintained.

Shoulda been a recall!!

didnt you drive it home?? a long way? was it all right then? you sure you have good gas?

Shoulda been a recall!!

Did it die on you? 400rpm idle while the a/c compressor is off is something both of my UCF20s have done. Lexus would really be bending over backward to do a TSB on a 15 year old car. You can peel the carpet back on the passenger's side kick panel and see the part number on the ECU to see if you have the newer one or not. I've seen the updated ECUs on ebay and car-part.com for $125. Here are the new part numbers...

41.pdf

Billy,

Getting Lexus to touch the ecu on their dime is a tough tough call to make. Honestly, I think I'm the only one I've seen on here that had any success at this when I bought my 95' w/81k miles from a Lexus dealership in 2004. I had a 90-day "window warranty" that covered the drivetrain. I had the "off throttle shock" problem which was caused by the ecu cutting the fuel too quickly to the engine, causing a kickback in the system. I practically had to get a lawyer involved to get them (the dealership) to honor that warranty and eat the $2,600 repair bill for a new ecu. It was not a fun experience.

But before going this route, I have to ask if you've cleaned out the throttle body first? I'm always amazed at how much "crud" gets built-up along the outer ring of the butterfly opening of the throttle body. I just did my GS430 a couple weeks ago, that just now turned 60k miles, and it was nasty nasty nasty (I guess lots of sitting at stop lights over it's 9 years of life). New plugs and a cleaned butterfly, she purrsss now.. Might be something to try before tackeling the more expensive ecu route?