Suspension Issue On Front Drivers Side

jabar1

Hey guys this is my first post

i recently purchased a 1992 ls400 so far i have replaced the power steering pump and a/c compressor

as well as the brakes and serp belt.

Ok so heres the problem i wet to a rim shop to have my car fitte to see if it was possible to have 20's without any mods

and they assured me that its possible so i had the rims installed and for the most part my ride quality didnt change

except for the fact that for some reason the drivers side front of the car seems to sit little lower than the passenger side

and when i go over a bump unless im going 5 mph i get a little rubbing noise so im confused because none of the other whels rub no matter what

plz help me any suggestions as to what i should do to fix the problem'

thanks in advance

As long as the outside diameter of the tire is the same as the original '92's 15" rim, there shouldn't be too much of an issue. I have 18's on my car that are 1" wider than stock, and they rub a little. But it's the extra width causing the issue, in part, for my car. There is more weight, naturally, on the left front of the car, therefore, more wear. I'd suggest new shocks, upper cushions, and check the bushings & ball joints. My car needs all that done, and yes the left front rubs more.

i recently purchased a 1992 ls400 so far i have replaced the power steering pump and a/c compressor

Ok so heres the problem i wet to a rim shop to have my car fitte to see if it was possible to have 20's without any mods

and they assured me that its possible so i had the rims installed and for the most part my ride quality didnt change

except for the fact that for some reason the drivers side front of the car seems to sit little lower than the passenger side

and when i go over a bump unless im going 5 mph i get a little rubbing noise so im confused because none of the other whels rub no matter what

thanks in advance

First, all stock suspensions on cars have a variance of about 1/4 inch to 3/4 of an inch. I've seen a few with a bit more but those are more the exception to the rule than the norm. The reason is the stock struts and springs can settle differently from each other, and the corners of the car may weighted differently. For example the left side of the car with you in it will weigh more than the right side without a passenger. Next, did you change the offest of the rims, or go with a wider rim? what was your stock size tire compared to your tire size now?

......is the same as the original '92's 15" rim...

Should've written tire.... my bad....

Going from a 15" rim to a 20" is a big step.... really big...... :o Make sure that the tire you chose is the right aspect ratio for sure! It must be very close, or the same, outside diameter as the original equipment tire's outside diameter, otherwise you'll get rubbing issues for sure, along with incorrect speedometer readings, which could also affect the ECU, if it relies on vehicle speed input.

As Smooth pointed out, there is quite a variance in suspension measurements, both from manufacturing tolerances and age/mileage.

What is the point of doing a "plus five" 20 inch wheel setup on a 90-92 gen 1 LS400 designed for 15 inch wheels? Are you trying to set some sort of record?

It was not many years ago that a "plus three" 18 inch setup on a 90-92 LS400 was considered to be completely extreme and "over the top." But a "plus five"?

Suggestions? Get reasonable size wheels and tires.

As long as the outside diameter of the tire is the same as the original '92's 15" rim, there shouldn't be too much of an issue. I have 18's on my car that are 1" wider than stock, and they rub a little. But it's the extra width causing the issue, in part, for my car. There is more weight, naturally, on the left front of the car, therefore, more wear. I'd suggest new shocks, upper cushions, and check the bushings & ball joints. My car needs all that done, and yes the left front rubs more.

thanks im gonna go price some new shocks and bushings tomorrow do u recommend anyone in particular??

thanks in advance

First, all stock suspensions on cars have a variance of about 1/4 inch to 3/4 of an inch. I've seen a few with a bit more but those are more the exception to the rule than the norm. The reason is the stock struts and springs can settle differently from each other, and the corners of the car may weighted differently. For example the left side of the car with you in it will weigh more than the right side without a passenger. Next, did you change the offest of the rims, or go with a wider rim? what was your stock size tire compared to your tire size now?

my tire size was 205/65R15 now its 235/35/20

What is the point of doing a "plus five" 20 inch wheel setup on a 90-92 gen 1 LS400 designed for 15 inch wheels? Are you trying to set some sort of record?

It was not many years ago that a "plus three" 18 inch setup on a 90-92 LS400 was considered to be completely extreme and "over the top." But a "plus five"?

Wow calm down TO EACH HIS OWN and im not the only one nor the first person who has done this

thanks

do u recommend anyone in particular??

For bushings, get the Daizen polyurethane set. There are other poly mfrs out there though; perhaps other members could shed some light? For shocks, I've had good results with KYBs over the years, but Tokicos are excellent too.

At this point I'd also recommend replacing the rear carrier bushings too. Poly are available.

HTH! :lol:

But, it looks so cool. :P

Seriously, 20" wheels on an LS400 look like pure !Removed!, especially when done the typical way of just bolting them on without any changes as it raises to car to near 4x4 status. Not to mention the rolling diameter effectively changes the gearing and the added weight makes the car a !Removed! to drive. A properly lowered car on correct size wheels (18" is fine) looks light years better, rides better, and can still accurately display the speed it's really going.

I'll never understand the desire to make a car look like a Tonka toy.

Seriously, 20" wheels on an LS400 look like pure !Removed!, especially when done the typical way of just bolting them on without any changes as it raises to car to near 4x4 status. Not to mention the rolling diameter effectively changes the gearing and the added weight makes the car a !Removed! to drive. A properly lowered car on correct size wheels (18" is fine) looks light years better, rides better, and can still accurately display the speed it's really going.

Some people are just looking for some ground clearance and don't wannabe ridin' a 4x4: :whistles:

26inchrims3.jpg

26inchrims.jpg

Some people are just looking for some ground clearance and don't wannabe ridin' a 4x4::whistles:

26inchrims3.jpg

26inchrims.jpg

wow nice wheels i like the look lol what size are they and what mods did you have to make?

:censored: