"clunking" Noise 2000 Es300

Nacmias

Hi all. A month or two ago I purchased a 2000 ES300 for $4,500. I'm 20 years old, and my father owns a car dealership and a service center, so I got the car for what he told me at least $5,000 off. It is in very very good shape, paint, interior, engine all runs good, but it does has 130,000 miles. The problem is when I hit a bump, from the front of the car, when I hit a bump with either the left or right wheel, it makes a "clunking" noise. I do not think it is the struts, because the car does not bottom out or ride rough, but maybe the towers? Even on the little bumps it makes this noise. It sounds like the plastic shields are loose, but I have checked it and that is not the problem. My father is busy, so I don't want to bother him with what he calls "stupidity" but I would like to know what the problem is because I actually love this car and don't want it to fail on me. I hope someone can help me and can solve this annoying problem, annoying to me anyway. Thank you!

It could be the "FRONT SUSPENSION SUPPORT NOISE" described in the attached TSIB. The same problem affected our 98 Camry. We put up with the rattling sound for several years since we were told it wasn't a safety issue.

I just now checked our records and see that the problem on our Camry was fixed in Spring 2005 for $350 (not including tax) by an independent repair shop specializing in Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

But, of course, the problem could be something else.

97_00_ES_FRONT_SUSPENSION_SUPPORT_NOISE.pdf

It could be the "FRONT SUSPENSION SUPPORT NOISE" described in the attached TSIB. The same problem affected our 98 Camry. We put up with the rattling sound for several years since we were told it wasn't a safety issue.

I just now checked our records and see that the problem on our Camry was fixed in Spring 2005 for $350 (not including tax) by an independent repair shop specializing in Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

But, of course, the problem could be something else.

Do you have any info for "REAR SUSPENSION SUPPORT NOISE" ?

Thanks,

Do you have any info for "REAR SUSPENSION SUPPORT NOISE" ?

I do not see any TSIB's in the Chilton online library for rear suspension issues on the 2000 ES300 or 1998 ES300. The Chilton library does not contain information specifically for the 1997 ES300.

I would take it to a shop for a diagnosis and estimate, free ....hopefully!.Once you know for sure what the problem is, maybe it can be fixed at your dads shop where he can give you a break on cost and not rip you off or call you stupid? ....hmmm.....otherwise find a good shop.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a 2002 ES300 with Electronic Modulated Suspension (EMS) control (it is meant to adjust the damping effect on shock absorbers) - since warranty we have noticed, as has the dealership, that there is a severe clunking sound when running over a washboard type road surface and when set in 'Sport' mode, not quite as loud but still obvious when in the 'Comfort' setting - sounds and feels like there isn't any shock absorption activity .... even though they have heard the noise, and admit that "....it shouldn't be there", the dealership refuses to recognize that something is definitely wrong, says it is not a safety issue, and no responsibility to explore to fix the problem .... it's still in good condition and we would simply like to eliminate this irritating and bothersome issue before we consider a competitive make .... has someone with a similar experience got an answer for us?

• 1 month later...
Hi all. A month or two ago I purchased a 2000 ES300 for $4,500. I'm 20 years old, and my father owns a car dealership and a service center, so I got the car for what he told me at least $5,000 off. It is in very very good shape, paint, interior, engine all runs good, but it does has 130,000 miles. The problem is when I hit a bump, from the front of the car, when I hit a bump with either the left or right wheel, it makes a "clunking" noise. I do not think it is the struts, because the car does not bottom out or ride rough, but maybe the towers? Even on the little bumps it makes this noise. It sounds like the plastic shields are loose, but I have checked it and that is not the problem. My father is busy, so I don't want to bother him with what he calls "stupidity" but I would like to know what the problem is because I actually love this car and don't want it to fail on me. I hope someone can help me and can solve this annoying problem, annoying to me anyway. Thank you!

Hi,

I have an ES300, 2000 model with 150 k miles . i started hearing this clunking noice at about 125 k miles. I have always serviced it with a dealer since 30 k miles. The dealer told me it was the struts and mount. well I changed it and the sound still existed. Then I took it to a local mechanic, he asked me to change the Control ARM and bushings. Since this is an expensive job, i changed some other items such as tie rod and bushings to give a smooth ride. But the Main problem is Control Arm. Clunking noise is gone.

good luck

R

Hi,

I have an ES300, 2000 model with 150 k miles . i started hearing this clunking noice at about 125 k miles. I have always serviced it with a dealer since 30 k miles. The dealer told me it was the struts and mount. well I changed it and the sound still existed. Then I took it to a local mechanic, he asked me to change the Control ARM and bushings. Since this is an expensive job, i changed some other items such as tie rod and bushings to give a smooth ride. But the Main problem is Control Arm. Clunking noise is gone.

good luck

R