My Ls400 '98 Has A Weird Skid Problem

cnnbull

Hi I bought this car from a friend. Everything runs well except there is a skid when speeding up from an intersection, especially during raining day or turning. I wonder whether this is normal or I have to check tires and transmission. Thanks.

What you mean by a "skid"? Are you losing control? Unlike LS400's with traction control from earlier model years, traction control on a 98-00 LS400 allows unlimited wheel spin as long as the car remains pointed in the direction the steering wheel is pointed. The VSC (stability control system) will cut the throttle and selectively apply brakes if the VSC system senses that the car is not going in the the direction the driver intended. You will hear a "beep ... beep" sound when VSC intervenes and a warning light on the dash will flash -- it's all explained in the owners manual.

Sometimes when streets are wet or especially "greasy", I put the transmission mode selector in Snow mode while taking off from a stop and then put it back into normal mode when underway.

Of course, check the tires to verify they have adequate tread.

In pretty much any RWD car, when you are accelerating in the rain during a turn, the outside rear wheel will begin to slip. This is normal. If this happens, gently let off the throttle to maintain control. If this is unacceptable to you, get some tires that have good rain performance.

What you mean by a "skid"? Are you losing control? Unlike LS400's with traction control from earlier model years, traction control on a 98-00 LS400 allows unlimited wheel spin as long as the car remains pointed in the direction the steering wheel is pointed. The VSC (stability control system) will cut the throttle and selectively apply brakes if the VSC system senses that the car is not going in the the direction the driver intended. You will hear a "beep ... beep" sound when VSC intervenes and a warning light on the dash will flash -- it's all explained in the owners manual.

Sometimes when streets are wet or especially "greasy", I put the transmission mode selector in Snow mode while taking off from a stop and then put it back into normal mode when underway.

Thank you for the info - I was equally surprised to have this experience but at least now I understand why. The tires are ok and I thought the VSC should have dealt with it - am still waiting for the owner's manual.

Thank you for the info - I was equally surprised to have this experience but at least now I understand why. The tires are ok and I thought the VSC should have dealt with it - am still waiting for the owner's manual.

Thanks, everyone. I didn't lose the control of the car but just a little "delay" when taking off. Just like when you drive on a snowy road you have to pedal harder to make it move. So I guess this is normal for a Lexus.

Thanks, everyone. I didn't lose the control of the car but just a little "delay" when taking off. Just like when you drive on a snowy road you have to pedal harder to make it move. So I guess this is normal for a Lexus.

I'm not sure what you mean by "skid" either. If you mean that one drive wheel spins so much that you lose significant traction, you have a problem. Traction control should prevent that. It is part of and inseparable from your VSC. Both are activated whenever the engine is started. Perhaps your VSC has been turned off and the warning lights are malfunctioning. Have you disconnected the battery and failed to recalibrate the VSC afterward? That seems unlikely unless, again, the warning lights are malfunctioning. Your comment about having to press (?) the "pedal harder to make it move" is perplexing, too. I have never noticed anything like that unless the ECT is set on "snow". Hopefully you have your owner's manual by now and can decide whether you need to recalibrate your VSC.

The car has positraction. When you get on it a little taking off the back tires break loose. Happens all the time and occurs more frequently when tires are worn and especially in rain when traction is decreased. Not a problem at all, just square it back up and you are good to go.

Well Explained. I put mine in snow mode too when i take off on a rainy day

Well Explained. I put mine in snow mode too when i take off on a rainy day

Seems very strange to me. I have a '98 and it has been my daily driver for 9 years. It has VSC, of course and that includes traction control with selective application of a rear brake to the spinning wheel. It works almost instantly and I have never experienced any of the slipping described. Positraction (originally Chevrolet) is a type of limited-slip differential and that is quite different, of course, than what we are talking about here. Anyhow, glad my car doesn't seem to do it. I do remember driving a M-B 500SEL in 1981 when I was shopping for a new car. It was very easy to make those rear wheels spin even in normal city driving situations. I didn't buy it.

My 1990 LS 400 does not have traction control and it does have fair amount of power and positraction (or whatever Toyota calls it). It is so easy to break the back tires loose in any type of inclimate weather that you do have to be aware. Worn tires will really make this more likely.