Switching 18 Inch Rims With 19 Inch Rims On Ls460

When I purchased my LS460L it came with 18 inch rims and tires. I liked the look of the 19 inch rims but I was told it was not a option. When I went back for my 15000 mile service I saw a car just like mine with the 19 inch 5 spoke rims. I asked the service manager and he told me that it was possible and that is what the owner of the dealership drove and that is what he drove.

I asked for a price and it was $6500. I bought a set of 4 on ebay for 1650 with tires.

Can any of you help answer some questions.

1. Will the speedometer still work correctly even though I have larger rims?

2. I do not know how the air pressure sensors work. The seller of the tires told me that his tires do not have any sensors. Can I remove the sensors from the 18 inch rims (which I plan to keep and use in the winter)? Or, should I buy new sensors?

3. Is there a trick to installing new sensors and or pairing them to the car?

thanks

phil

• 2 months later...
Oh yeah, if they are the factory rims you will have no problems...

There's a "Notice"on the door jam that replacing 18 in. rims with 19in rims can result in damage to the vehicle(07- 460lsl).can your comments be reconciled with this warning.i too would like to go to 19 in. rims ,but am somewhat reluctant to do so after reading the warning. tx

Well just think about it logically. Lexus sells the Lexus 19" rims as an option on the LS460. So how could mounting the rims Lexus sells cause damage to the vehicle?

I think the notice means aftermarket rims. I think the 460 has a slightly different bolt pattern than is typical so you need to think about that when buying aftermarket rims. The LS460 19" wheels however are already designed for the LS460...and the LS460 is designed for them...so you should have no problems.

Well just think about it logically. Lexus sells the Lexus 19" rims as an option on the LS460. So how could mounting the rims Lexus sells cause damage to the vehicle?

I think the notice means aftermarket rims. I think the 460 has a slightly different bolt pattern than is typical so you need to think about that when buying aftermarket rims. The LS460 19" wheels however are already designed for the LS460...and the LS460 is designed for them...so you should have no problems.

I did some additional research and discovered that 19 in.rims were not an option on vehicles with a standard suspension system.They were only an option for vehicles with the optional adjustable suspension system.My vehicle has the std.suspension system,hence the warning.I guess if the rear bottomed out, the wheel could contact the body and cause some damage.

I don't see how...the diameter of the wheel/tire combo is the same...

The recommended tire size for 19in.rims is 245/45R19,which is only .43 in.larger than the diameter of the tires that are on the 18 in rims(235/50R18).it is difficult to believe that small difference could cause body damage.I went back and reread the notice on the door jamb.it also recommends against going from a 19in. rim to an 18 in. rim for the same reason.

The last time I was researching going up in rim/tire size I stumbled across this site, which is a luxury rim store, but has a free online comparer tool. You just plug in your stock rim/tire specs on the left, then select what you are going to replace them with on the right. The tool provides accurate speedo outputs based on tire size and rpm. It also gives dimensions of tread and offset. Good stuff.

www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp