Tires

• 1 month later...
what is the proper way to rotate the tires on a LS 460

First your car must be properly align. I criss cross the two front tires (left front to right rear, right front to left rear) bring the two rear tires straight up front. I have 27,500 on my tires an counting. Have alignment checked 5,000 to 10,000, otherwise tires will not wear even. buddy8883

Radial tires should not be rotated side to side, only front to back.

Steeeeve ... dare I question what my favorite person on this forum says ... but I think it is permissible and even recommended to rotate non-directional radial tires side to side / front to back. Attached is the tire rotation chart from the online manual for my 00 LS from the owners section of the Lexus website.

Directional tires and/or directional wheels (like my gen 1 LS400 had) are another matter and, of course, should not be rotated from side to side.

Maybe it's all in my head but the Bridgestone directional summer tires I'm using on my LS seem to "feel" better when braking in the rain than any non-directional summer or all season tire I've used. They were advertised to be better in the rain but maybe I'm just unconsciously buying into the hype.

post-2157-1256573628_thumb.jpg

Steeeeve ... dare I question what my favorite person on this forum says ... but I think it is permissible and even recommended to rotate non-directional radial tires side to side / front to back. Attached is the tire rotation chart from the online manual for my 00 LS from the owners section of the Lexus website.

Well golly, I'm honored!

You could very well be correct, I've just always heard that radial tires should only be rotated front to back...

For what it's worth, here's a description of "Directional" radial tires:

A pair of radial tires consist of two tires each having a tread comprising annular land portions formed by a plurality of circumferential main grooves extending in the circumferential direction of the tire, and rows of blocks formed by extending transverse main grooves inclinedly in the circumferential direction in at least land portions located at axially opposite side edge portions of the tire. Tread patterns of these two tires are asymmetrical and have directional property. Transverse main grooves of each of the tires, which define the rows of the blocks to be located axially inside, are extended inclinedly downwardly toward the inner side of the tread in the width direction as viewed from the front side of the tire. Each of the transverse main grooves of the tire, which define the row of the blocks located axially on the outer side is extended in an almost inverse V-letter shape as viewed from the front side of the tire.

Cross rotation concerns with: different camber settings resulting in unusual wear patterns, shifting belts, separation of belts because of air bubbles created, vibrations, blow outs, were prevalent with older radial tires. I'm not sure the manufacturers have the same concerns with today's modern radial. However, some high performance tires do come with directional arrows embossed on the sidewall indicating in which direction they should be rotating.

Nevertheless, I would agree with Steverino, 1990's "favorite person on this forum" in that, if the tire has been designated as "directional" and the alignment is spot on, then the tires should be rotated on the same side if for no other reason than the tread blocks are likely designed for maximum water dispersal in only one direction. Although, it could be interesting to see what happens when mixing sizes as well as sides?:chairshot: Hell, you can even change direction of tires without cross rotating them! :whistles:

Go to the Michelin website. They have a very good explanation on how to rotate tires. It varies depending on if you have front wheel drive, rear wheel drive or all wheel drive.

When radials were first readily available in North America we were told that you must not change the direction of rotation but that seems to have changed over the years.

If your tires have the direction of rotation marked on them then you would have to go along with that.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Just my 2 cents.

I have been rotating my tires same side front to back for 20 years on various Cadillac and, more recently, Lexus cars.

I never bought into the cross rotation.

I have had both directional and non-directional tires and have always gotten significantly more mileage than expected.

Probably my best set were Michelins that were rated for 45,000 miles and I got 85,000 miles out of them.

I have never gotten less than 40% more miles than stated by the manufacturer.

But, maybe my driving style helps this too.....

Tom