2010 Rx 350 Comments From New Owners

I'd appreciate any feedback from new 2010 RX350 owners. I lease a 2007 RX400H, lease expires in Dec '09; I received a promotion from LFS to waive the last three months payments if I trade up to a new Lexus by month's end. I'm reluctant to get a new vehicle the first year of a new model, especially since the RX platform is stand alone vs. previous years when is was based on the Camry platform. I was thinking of extending my lease another year as I love the 400H.

Though I've had no issues with the last 4 leased vehicles (GS 300, RX 300, RX 330 & RX 400H) none were the first of new model years.

Thanks for any input. :unsure:

I've had my '10RX since July and so far I'm loving it. I leased an '07 RX before this. Hard to believe but it is more comfortable. The noise from the engine is quieted even more. The new Nav is fantastic. Several other nice new features. Nicely done Lexus!!

Bad Brad just rolled one into the garage last night. Special ordered the car back in May since dealers, for some really odd reason, refuse to take in units with factory rear entertainment. Well now I have maybe the only one on the entire continent - to hear my dealer talk of it, and it's in Truffle Mica. They were claiming to have calls from people around the region who knew it was coming in. I took home most of the other options 'cept for handling, HUD, and laser range finding. Walk out price was close to $6000 below MSRP. I feel like Butch Cassidy.

I was generally pleased with the 400h I just gave back, but it was a rattle-trap; sure didn't handle worth a darn. In comparison, the new car is near dead silent, has superior ride quality, and easily out-handles the previous. Will take me and the wife some time to fiddle with all the new bells and whistles. I'll report more as I put some miles on it. At first drive the car seems like one and half generations better than the other.

Apparently, I can talk to the car over the internet to set preferences, arrange clandestine meetings, and some other stuff that I'll have to explore. This could be interesting.

First time Lexus buyer. So, obviously love it, but nothing to compare from prior experience.

Things are love - Smooth ride. Handles corners very well without major passenger shift. Technologically advanced. Quiet a bit. For its class, it offers a lot of technology. Back to performance - ride is smooth, except for a little strain when it starts from zero. This is where you hear engine noise the most, but immediately after that, it quiets down that you dont even notice its running. Steering is very smooth. And much much more.

Things I dont like - Cabin lighting. Not all controls light up at night, especially overhead controls. Not that you are flying a plane, but still, you would expect that in this class.

I notice you lease a lot. From what I read, leasing does not make sense, in terms of finances. Unless you get a tax break, how can you justify it? You dont have to answer this. Just curious.

I notice you lease a lot. From what I read, leasing does not make sense, in terms of finances. Unless you get a tax break, how can you justify it? You dont have to answer this. Just curious.

Depends. If you drive within the mileage constraints and always would upgrade to a new vehicle every 3 years, leasing can make sense even if you don't get a tax break. Its a way of mitigating the depreciation loss.

If you did the math on leasing for 3 years or buying the car, paying interest for 3 years, and then trading it in and the resulting depreciation loss, leasing is usually cheaper.

I'm with lexus 10 on the lighting, that's about the only thing I could come up with to improve on, well except for may the blue tooth. I have to talk somewhat load for the person on the other end of the phone to hear me. Been in other makes and don't seem to have that problem. Not aware of any setting I can change to improve that. I use the blue tooth for safety and convience so I wish that part worked better. Other than that I love the 2010 RX350!!

PS I looked at the oil filter replacements and they are just the guts, has anyone changed one of these??? Looking for good instructions because I like to change my own.

Thanks

Bob

Depends. If you drive within the mileage constraints and always would upgrade to a new vehicle every 3 years, leasing can make sense even if you don't get a tax break. Its a way of mitigating the depreciation loss.

There is actually some tax break in that you only pay sales tax on the value of the vehicle you expend through use (you are taxed on your lease monthly payment and on any capital cost reduction). You never pay sales tax on the residual value; if you purchased outright you'd pay sales tax on the entire enchilada, upfront - plus you'd finance to pay that tax. In my location that makes a $50,000 car cost well over $54k - not to mention debt service on the tax.

FYI - I won't lease cheap stuff (like my truck - a fleet stripper) or most domestic vehicles because they won't carry a high enough residual value to keep your lease payment low (relatively speaking).

Not too sold on the keyless emtry system. Would really like the key and remote like I had with my 2005 model. Wifes drives it most of the time and usually has the key in her purse. She gets out of the car and if she doesnt leave the key with me, I'd better not forget adn shut the car off. Little too high tech for me.

I have had my 2010 RX-350 as my corporate car since August moving from a 2005 Highlander now kept as a whatever car for employees.

I love the ride and handling though miss the space and visiblity in the Toyota. As others have said, I have left the car running as I get out but now reptition is helping avoid that. I agree more intuitive placed 12V outlets would help. I basically consider the Lexus a laptop with wheels and the joystick control can be distracting especially when playing with the navigation and XM . But as a testement to the quiet and quality of the car, I go out of my way to drive wherever and whenever I can in it as I love the experience. And that pretty much says it all.

I test drove and Acura MDX, Honda Pilot, and a Murano along with the RX-350 and my choice was clear by the end of the day.

Not too sold on the keyless emtry system. Would really like the key and remote like I had with my 2005 model. Wifes drives it most of the time and usually has the key in her purse. She gets out of the car and if she doesnt leave the key with me, I'd better not forget adn shut the car off. Little too high tech for me.

You don't have two fobs?

Question related to push start. Still exploring the manual, but is there a way to run the accessories without actually running the engine?? i.e. if I just want to park and play CDs, or explore the system, I have not figured out a way without actually pressing the start button (and yes, burning unnecessary gas). Unlike the key ignition, where it has an accessory stop before starting the engine. I hope I am making sense. Thanks.

You don't have two fobs?

Yes have the two fobs but dont like toting both of them around.

You don't have two fobs?

I have now been driving my 2010 RX for the last two months or so, very satisfied with the car overall, despite some room for improvements I thought might be of interest to you.

Brake:

I have to say, I am still trying to adjust for the RX's brake setting. It's just too "weak" compared to my A4 (B7 2.0T). I don't know if they made the brake system purposely that way, but I find it slow to respond to sudden braking. Got conclude this car is built for comfort ride, and never good for responsive driving;

:(

Center storage space:

Can someone explain to me how on earth Japanese perfectionists have failed to spot this bad design!!!! It is simply unreachable under normal use. I don't know about you guys, I think the position of the center storage space is strangely placed to the point I have to stop my car every time I am trying to reach something in the tray. :angry:

Other than the above two points I am generally satisfied with the car and hope these two drawbacks can be solved in the future. :lol:

I am on my 2nd Lexus RX since Jan 09. I bought a 07 RX400h in Jan with 30k on it. I ran into nothing but trouble and ended up giving it back to the dealer.

The main reason that I finally made them take it back was that they had added a tow package to the car which had the Dynamic Cruise Control. In reality that is a major safety issue, because adding the weight of a towed object changes the height of the sensor for the cruise, thus opening a door for possible accidents.

At the time that this problem occurred the 2010 RX was just coming out. I decided to try it,along with some other class compoetitors. the difference from the old RX , the others and the 10 was huge.

The comments in the other blogs on this site, mention many design issues , which I agree with, some of these just do not make sense. But after looking at many other cars in this class, the 10 was the clear winner.

I have been driving this car since May, the gas mileage is slowly getting better, as the motor breaks in. The towing is great I have a ski boat with dual wheel trailer, weighing in close to the max weight, it tows as if it is not even there.

The handling and comfort are really good, the leg room fine even for over six footers. I have a friend with a ML500 that he paid over $100k for and he likes riding in my car.

A lot of the tech features work fine and the mouse once you get used to it works well. As far as the Nav, it works, not perfect but does work well enough to get there, most of the time. DO NOT FRET OVER NOT BEING ABLE TO MAKE CHANGES ON THE NAV WHILE MOVING, GET USED TO THE AUDIO. I have a BMW that had a crash because someone was messing with the NAV while driving and got distracted.

One issue that has come up and may become a fight with Lexus. I took my car to the car wash, someone there, probably cleaning the interior windshield, pressed down on the cup holder bezel and broke the hinge. The cost to replace is over $800, Lexus is not warranting it at this moment. Luckily the car wash is paying this time, but i feel there must be some design flaw that allows this to break that easily.

Before I got my Lexus in Jan I had a Yukon Denali, which was a great snow car, since I live in Tahoe I am looking forward to seeing how this car handles in heavy snows.

So far the difference from the older RXs and the 10 is definitely worth the change.

I hope you are enjoying yours

You don't have two fobs?

Don't you carry keys? Just leave the fob on your keychain and it won't be an issue.