Cell Phones

nc211

LOL!

Seriously though when you think about it. You have a phone that calls people, and you have a phone that provides internet access, sends and receives email, has built in GPS, sends and receives text messages, photos, and video. Should the service for the one phone cost the same as the other? It costs money to provide those services.

They should all cost the same regardless! The iPhone is just a money-maker for both Apple and AT&T. They change the phone updates and features every year, aren't they? Yet I can ALMOST do everything an iPhone can with my simple Palm but of course I can't play those driving games where I have to tilt the phone like a real steering wheel to play the game.

Can the iPhone even multitask like send a text message while you are on a 3 way call? lol. :lol:

You have to pay for a data plan for your Palm...

Blackberrys and iPhones owe licensing costs too...

The iPhone is just a money-maker for both Apple and AT&T

Well why else would they sell them?

That's true about the data plan. We don't have that because there's always an available computer or laptop wherever we go lol.

What I meant about the iPhone is that it created a way for both Apple and AT&T to make uneccessary profit out of customers who don't need the data and messaging plan. I see old people who have iPhones and I'm pretty sure they don't need to be constantly checking their emails to see if their next luncheon got postponed or moved up sooner than planned. :huh:

But I can't type with the iPhone. Couldn't get used to it. Would much rather have the actual keyboard and feel the keys when typing or texting :rolleyes:

Can the iPhone even multitask like send a text message while you are on a 3 way call? lol. :lol:

Yes, very well actually, when you're on a call (or conference call) you press the home button and the bar on the top of the screen pulsates green and you can do whatever else on the phone and once you're ready to go back to the call you press the green bar.

But I can't type with the iPhone. Couldn't get used to it. Would much rather have the actual keyboard and feel the keys when typing or texting :rolleyes:

Use it for a week and you'll be used to it. I used BlackBerries for years before the iPhone and I thought the same thing but now if I try to type on a blackberry or other physical phone keyboard it's harder for me than the iPhone.

The thing about the exclusivity deal with Apple and AT&T is that this is nothing new, the iPhone just brought it to everyone's attention because it's so popular. When any new phone comes out it most likely has an exclusivity deal with a certain carrier but the phone isn't popular so no one really cares. Take for example the LG Voyager, an iPhone knock off, it is exclusive to Verizon but you don't hear anyone complaining about it because honestly no one give a crap about it. You only hear about it with the iPhone because everybody wants one but doesn't want AT&T's BS service.

What I meant about the iPhone is that it created a way for both Apple and AT&T to make uneccessary profit out of customers who don't need the data and messaging plan. I see old people who have iPhones and I'm pretty sure they don't need to be constantly checking their emails to see if their next luncheon got postponed or moved up sooner than planned. :huh:

Who decides what is an unnecessary profit? And why would you buy an iPhone without a data and texting plan? Makes no sense.

I don't like typing on the iPhone either...I prefer the actual keyboard on the BlackBerry...

Who decides what is an unnecessary profit?

President Obama and Nancy and the rest of the yahoos in there according to your other post RE: healthcare. :)

I actually don't mind typing on the Iphone.

And why would you buy an iPhone without a data and texting plan? Makes no sense.

Steve, it makes sense to me. We would buy iPhones just for their convenient size, music, WiFi, Safari browser and the availablility of interfaces for our cars if we could use them without spending $30/month per person for a data plan. People who need to reach us, don't send an email or text message -- they call us. If we don't answer, they leave a message on voice mail.

There are free WiFi hotspots everywhere. We don't need to spend another $30/month per phone to get all the Internet access we need.

OK, if the iPhone had a decent personal organizer and could sync Microsoft Office documents like a Blackberry or Windows Mobile PDA, even I would consider wasting $30/month to get one.

IMO, the best thing that could happen for cell phone users in the U.S. is to separate the purchase of handsets and service like in Europe. And CDMA, used by Verizon and the downwardly spiralling Sprint, needs to just go way like Betamax did when VHS won the videotape wars.

As 1990LS400 mentioned, some people may not need the phone for it's full capabilities. Some may like it because of it's design, size, etc but don't need digital voicemail or an unlimited text package if the person barely text messages.

I have a Centro but I don't have a data plan because I hardly ever use the internet on my phone. I use my laptop to get emails and do my work on. But I do have unlimited text hehe :D :rolleyes:

I'm not going to bring the healthcare debate in here, although I realize you're joking.

And why would you buy an iPhone without a data and texting plan? Makes no sense.

Steve, it makes sense to me. We would buy iPhones just for their convenient size, music, WiFi, Safari browser and the availablility of interfaces for our cars if we could use them without spending $30/month per person for a data plan. People who need to reach us, don't send an email or text message -- they call us. If we don't answer, they leave a message on voice mail.

There are free WiFi hotspots everywhere. We don't need to spend another $30/month per phone to get all the Internet access we need.

OK, if the iPhone had a decent personal organizer and could sync Microsoft Office documents like a Blackberry or Windows Mobile PDA, even I would consider wasting $30/month to get one.

IMO, the best thing that could happen for cell phone users in the U.S. is to separate the purchase of handsets and service like in Europe. And CDMA, used by Verizon and the downwardly spiralling Sprint, needs to just go way like Betamax did when VHS won the videotape wars.

Apple makes something just for you, the iPod Touch. Its an iPhone without the phone. It has wi-fi, the safari browser, all the iPod apps work for it. No data plan necessary.

I do agree with you about handsets and service plans. That will eventually happen.