Rx300 Whell Jack!

Renoir911

Hello.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem with their 2002 RX300 wheel jack!

I used mine once to change a flat tire on level ground and placed it properly on level ground.

It twisted! It twisted and lucky for me another jack type of jack was available to lift the vehicle back up enough to remove the twisted mess.

Has anyone had this problem before ?

I dropped a line at Lexus USA and no replies!

I need to replace it but dealers want over $120 for one, That much for a simple car jack ?

Has anyone got a used spare one that will suit my RX300 ? I'll buy it off you.

Thanks.

R. M.

renoir911@yahoo.ca

Hello.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem with their 2002 RX300 wheel jack!

I used mine once to change a flat tire on level ground and placed it properly on level ground.

It twisted! It twisted and lucky for me another jack type of jack was available to lift the vehicle back up enough to remove the twisted mess.

I need to replace it but dealers want over $120 for one, That much for a simple car jack ?

Thanks.

R. M.

renoir911@yahoo.ca

I never used my jack (thank goodness!), but, if they are so fragile, you may wish to consider another jack that might fit (e.g. from another SUV so you can can be assured it can carry the weight), and enquire from a junkyard? Good luck!

Many OEM jacks, regardless of manufacturer, just barely meet minimum safety specs and aren't worth the weight and space they take up in your storage area. Go to any chain auto parts store and get yourself a half-ton capacity bottle jack for about $20 to $25 and your problem is solved. They are much stronger, safer, more versatile, faster to use, and much smaller as well. I've had the same two bottle jacks for more than 15 years and they still operate as they did when they were new. Do yourself a favor - forget about finding another OEM jack and get a bottle jack instead. Along with storing it in your jack compartment, be sure to add a couple blocks of wood in different thicknesses. I also keep cut-up pieces of an old bicycle tire tube with the bottle jack to serve as additional protection against whatever component of the vehicle I am lifting.

With a bottle jack and a couple of blocks of wood, I can safely lift anything from a golf cart to a monster truck....

Many OEM jacks, regardless of manufacturer, just barely meet minimum safety specs and aren't worth the weight and space they take up in your storage area. Go to any chain auto parts store and get yourself a half-ton capacity bottle jack for about $20 to $25 and your problem is solved. They are much stronger, safer, more versatile, faster to use, and much smaller as well. I've had the same two bottle jacks for more than 15 years and they still operate as they did when they were new. Do yourself a favor - forget about finding another OEM jack and get a bottle jack instead. Along with storing it in your jack compartment, be sure to add a couple blocks of wood in different thicknesses. I also keep cut-up pieces of an old bicycle tire tube with the bottle jack to serve as additional protection against whatever component of the vehicle I am lifting.

With a bottle jack and a couple of blocks of wood, I can safely lift anything from a golf cart to a monster truck....

Thank you for your reply.

I did just that! After looking over the original jack I decided there was no point spending $120.00 for another unreliable jack. I have an old Nissan Pathfinder and it has a bottle jack. I've put that in my Lexus since the problem arose. I used it on the Lexus to find new "locations" to place the jack at. It works front and back extremely well, so, yes, I'm with you on that and my search is over. I had already placed a couple of cut 4x6 pieces of wood in the trunk. I'm glad I posted this question as it appears to be a safety issue with Lexus jacks! I wonder why this has not come up before!

Thanks for the responses, have a great day where ever you are.

RM

The scissor jacks are temp use jacks , if they are constantly used they will bend , especially if used on the slightest unlevel surface at some point in time. I did the same thing to mine , By not securing the wheel it rolled slightly and twisted it. I bought another one for $10 at walmart.

Hello.

Thanks.

R. M.

renoir911@yahoo.ca

I had the similar situation for couple of times by bending the wheel jack while using it. Later on I realize that the wheel must be secured before using the wheel jack. It will prevent your car from rolling off the jack.

I have replaced the original scissors jack on my RX300 with the bottle jack that came with my Nissan Pathfinder. It is much sturdier and wider at the top then what Walmart or Canadian Tire sells. I am truly surprised that no safety expert caught that poorly designed jack Lexus uses. You'd think Lexus would not disregard the safety of it's clients this way, but it does. I've emailed Lexus twice on this and there has been no response.