SC400 Speaker Question

The fronts and back CAN fit 6.5 inch midrange drivers. You'll need to mount them custom in front, I recommend an MDF baffle to give you good tight midrange response, but you can just drill it into the door if you want. The rears are the same dinky 4-inch drivers as the front. But again, it is easy to slide in 6.5s. I highly recommend you going for 6.5s. Six inch midrange drivers have inherantly better acoustic properties as well as deeper midbass excursion. I would also recommend you going with component speakers, not coaxial. It's all about high fidelity. :)

The sub is a free-air design. You can swap it out with MOST aftermarket free air subs, but some of them like certain Pioneer free airs have deep voice coils and won't clear the gas tank below the rear dash. The JL Audio 10IB4 will fit according to some crude measurements I took a while back.

I'm not sure what the impedance is. When I installed my stereo, I tore everything out and used my own amps and speakers. If you're unsure, there should be an ohm rating on your stock amps to go by. If all else fails, just use 4 ohm nominal speakers.

When I bought the sc the previous owner had wired the stock tweets and door speakers to a jvc head, ran two 6.5 diamond audio in the rear panels at the rear seat bottom. It was decent. The rear deck is empty. I stripped the trunk and noticed much dynamat. Pulled the seat bottom and found the cabin floor is covered with foam - hmm.

I threw the two sony tens in an enclosed box w/ sony 700w amp in the trunk. Those speakers don't sound that great in my accord I pulled them from but, sound excellent in that lex. Unreal.

I'll try to find the link for the stereo hack, but I may just have the sc300.

Hang on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello:

Can anyone tell me the correct OHM rating for my speaker system. SC400. My rear and sub no longer work and I work to replace them with the correct ohm rated speaker and sub. Can anyone help me out. Thank you in advance and have a good day. I have a Nakamichi system if that matters.

PS: I need the correct OHM rating for rear , as well as the sub.

Regards:

Larry

it could be 4 ohms or u can replace it with 2 ohms. doesnt matter.

The impedance does matter.

it doesnt matter what he gets 2 ohms is better bass response than 4 ohms. doesnt mean it wont work. one will just sound better than the other. :D

it doesnt matter what he gets 2 ohms is better bass response than 4 ohms. doesnt mean it wont work. one will just sound better than the other. :D

It does matter because if you put in a 2 ohm speaker and drive the amp at 2 ohms then the amp has to be capable of running at 2 ohms. If not, the amp will overheat.

It does matter because if you put in a 2 ohm speaker and drive the amp at 2 ohms then the amp has to be capable of running at 2 ohms. If not, the amp will overheat.

Like i said in my original post it all matters on your amp. if it is bridgable or not, is all up to the amp. even if the sub is 4 ohms and you bridge ur amp to run 2 ohms it will work the speaker harder. the idle this is to run a 2 ohm amp, and sub. if you dont it WILL not neccesary blow. the speaker might blow depending on RMS wattage.

In conclusion. if your going to buy a new sub it can be dual voiuce coil witch the sub itself is 4 ohms or bridgable to 2 ohms, just to be on the safe side. :D

4 ohms on every car speaker. as for the sub it could be 4 ohms or u can replace it with 2 ohms. doesnt matter. it all depends on your amp how is going to sound.

Hello All:

I was told by carstereohelp.com that ohms matter. If you put a 2 ohm sub in a four ohm system the amp is going to work twice as hard and might blow. If you put a 4 ohm speaker in a 2 ohm system, it won't sound good or work at all. That's why I ask. It seems though that from recent posts it doesn't matter. What I find interesting is the post from a club member that states that NO aftermarket subs will work with the stock amp. Can anyone give any insight to this problem..

Regards:

Larry