Got My Lexus Hard Drive Disk For 1998 Gs But Have Another Problem, Hel

I was able to finally buy a navigation hard disk from a 1999 Lexus GS300. Much to my chagrin (and to my ignorance) it appears the disk wont fit in my ECU!!! the "disk" seems to be about a half inch wider than the slot. am i missing something? I thought I just slipped in the slot and it was plug and play. Do I need to remove the ECU and take the lid off the ECU? my car is a 1998 so I figured the disk was the same as the 1999. I have attached 3 pictures to illustrate my predicament. Thanks in advance as always.

post-48544-1246307707_thumb.jpg

post-48544-1246307716_thumb.jpg

post-48544-1246307721_thumb.jpg

I was able to finally buy a navigation hard disk from a 1999 Lexus GS300. Much to my chagrin (and to my ignorance) it appears the disk wont fit in my ECU!!! the "disk" seems to be about a half inch wider than the slot. am i missing something? I thought I just slipped in the slot and it was plug and play. Do I need to remove the ECU and take the lid off the ECU? my car is a 1998 so I figured the disk was the same as the 1999. I have attached 3 pictures to illustrate my predicament. Thanks in advance as always.

I will repeat myself, You have to take the top of the harddrive housing off, Then unplug the old harddrive and plug in the new one :wacko::blink: :whistles:

I don't see a "cold for disk" error message described in the 30 page navigation diagnosis section in my 2000 LS400 repair manual set. I hope I am correct in my assumption that the navigation system is essentially the same in both the 98-00 LS400 and GSx00.

Did the hard disk appear to seat securely you plugged into the navigation ECU slot? I might not hurt to re-seat it. Do you know that the navigation hard drive was working in the car in which it was previously installed?

I don't know if you can put your navigation system into diagnosis mode with your current problem but here is the procedure described for a 00 LS -- likely is the same for your GS:

"While pressing "CLIMATE" and "AUDIO" switches simultaneously, by turning the light control switch to OFF, TAIL, OFF, TAIL and OFF the system is started-up." It takes approxmilately 30 seconds to inspect the screen."

OK, the English in the above instruction is a little odd but that is what it says in the manual. I can't even begin to scan all the pages that show all the diagnostic screens.

If you don't have any success and really want to get it to work, consider taking your car to a Lexus dealer or at least ask the dealer what the error message means.

thanks Jim..I checked with a local shop that specializes in NAVS and they said that the problem is that the disk is not formatted correctly. Apparently the guy that sold it to me tried to reformat at it on the internet and this is the result...no bueno...the same shop said my ECU may be bad because my old disk (which by the way I found!!) said "check hard disk"...this has become such a pain...