Newb Looking At Trading Bmw For Is350...few Quick Questions.

Hey all! Was hoping you guys wouldn't mind throwing a few opinions out this morning. Quick story is I'm taking the wife to look at a CPO '06 IS350 tonight because I just don't believe these BMW's are worth the hassle anymore. She has an '06 325xi wagon that is a fun car, but there's always something wrong with it, plus it rattles and squeaks like mad. It's super practical though and she does like it when it's working right. So basically I just wanted to get some basic thoughts on your impressions of the IS. I know this is an IS forum so you guys are hopefully going to love the car, but any real world driving info, known issues to look out for, must have options, or anything else you could share would be appreciated. I've been reading the reviews and comparisons over the weekend, and while the 3 Series always comes out on top as the better sport sedan, I have to wonder where these guys find constant wide open twisty roads to drive. The roads out here in PA are garbage, and sporty driving is hard to find. So I'm really thinking a more luxurious, reliable and comfy IS might actually be the better real world option.

Thanks in advance. :)

It is a better real world option. Just get one with the premium package and nav. She'll be more than satisfied with the car. A few of my friends bought BMW 3's the same time I got my IS350, and since then 1 of them traded it in on a 350, and the other two can hardly wait to trade thiers in when it makes money sense for them.

Thanks for the reply smooth. It's pretty funny how we got to this point so I'll be real curious to see how the test drive goes tonight. We had an '02 RX300 which we loved, but it was maybe the most boring vehicle in the world to drive...not one ounce of fun could be had in it. So we traded that in for an '05 325xiT. Similar storage space, but worlds different as far as driving goes. Was actually a fun car, though it seemed like I was working on it every other weekend. Next we traded that in for an '06 325xiT because she wanted all the upgraded option the E91's had to offer. She loves the car, but again, there's always something that needs to be worked on. Now we're looking at going back to Lexus, the same brand we said we wouldn't buy again because they weren't sporty enough. :rolleyes: Apparently there's a price to be paid for "sporty", so I'm hoping we can knock that down half a notch, but up the reliability/comfort factor a few degrees while still having a car that's fun to drive. I'm really looking forward to tonight because I have the experience of the current and previous gen 3 series for a direct comparison, not to mention that I drive an '06 Z4 Coupe every day. So this should be very interesting.

Oh, and I've already been warned that any car we look at must have NAV and all the creature comforts available. Once you have them, you can't do without. :)

I traded in a manual 325i for my first IS250. I'm on my third one now, and still love it. Granted, it's not a German engine, doesn't sound as "pretty," but it's got a lot more amenities than BMW ever had, and that's why I switched. I was tired of having to pay for the 6 in-dash CD changer, the heated/vented seats, etc. I don't have nav, and think I might get it in my fourth car, lol!

I was going to say to check out the AWD version, but I don't believe the 350 has that option. Also, you can't get a manual in the 350, only the 250, and I've heard those are hard to find, as well.

Just took my husband's 528i to the dealer about two months ago for its tune-up. Now the A/C isn't working right, and one of the headlights is out. So now I have to take my time to take it in and get that fixed. Lexus, you just call, line up a loaner, bring in the car, and when it's done they call you, and you bring back the loaner. That's a biggy for me. Not all Lexus dealers do that, however.

Oh, and as far as the rattles, I think there's a thread in here about that. People do have rattles in their IS's, but I think have chosen (like myself) to live with them because the car is so nice.........

I heard an IS-F drive by me last night, and it sounded sooo cool! I think it's nicer-looking than the M3, and cheaper, too!

You're not kidding about the "options" BMW is nice enough to offer. Many come standard on cars costing half as much. So frustrating! :angry: And I'll admit that the Bimmers do sound nice when you wind them out, but the price I'm paying for that seems to keep getting steeper. I want something sporty, but luxury and a smooth peaceful ride are more important. I have the Z4C for pure sporty (Surely is no luxury or smooth ride in there <_< )

This is a big change, going from an AWD wagon to a RWD sedan, so it will be interesting to make comparisons.

It's surprising to hear that not all Lexus dealers give out loaners. I've never had any issue with having a loaner waiting for me for any of my many services. lol Infact, I have to get my Z back in again for another issue. No doubt that this car will be gone when the warranty ends. I'll check into that with the dealer, thanks for the heads up.

While I agree that the IS is easily better looking than the current 3 series, what isn't though, I'm not positive about the M3 vs. IS-F. I'll have to study some pics and think about that one. :D

Thanks for the input!

Thanks guys. We test drove a fully loaded IS350 last night, and while there are many things to love about the car, right now it's not right for us. So we'll be keeping the wagon for a bit longer.

Thanks for the help though.

i just traded my08 335 vert for an 10259 vert and couldn't be happier with it . i do miss the extra 100hp a little bit but don't miss going to the gas station 2 or 3 times a week.it's only been a few days but i'd switch again in a second love the is vert

i just traded my08 335 vert for an 10259 vert and couldn't be happier with it . i do miss the extra 100hp a little bit but don't miss going to the gas station 2 or 3 times a week.it's only been a few days but i'd switch again in a second love the is vert

Sorry to sound uninformed but what is an 08 335 vert and a 10259 vert?