Help Needed - Unemployed Owner Of '96 Lexus Es300

These forums have been invaluable to me - thank you very much!

About a year ago my car began riding rough - kind of loud & like it was going to stall out at stops & the engine light came on. I took it into my regular repair shop (not dealership) and was informed that the engine was going (spraying oil into the engine). They cleaned it up and changed the spark plugs and told me it could last 3 days or 3 months. It lasted about 7 months and then did the same thing. I took it to another place, got the same verdict, they, too cleaned out the spark plugs & it's been running fine ever since.

When I took it in for inspection, I found a highly regarded Philadelphia mechanic who worked more w/ engines than my two previous guys. He actually couldn't find anything wrong with the car and it did pass emissions.

Now the car is acting the same way it has the previous two times. The engine light hasn't come on but I just went ahead and made an appt to get the spark plugs cleaned.

Not to run a pity party here but do ya'all have any idea what is wrong w/ my car? I am unemployed and cannot afford a new car right now. Do you have any suggestions or know what this problem could be?

MANY MANY THANKS!!!!

I am a little confused, is the oil leaking externally? Have you seen any of the plugs before they cleaned them? If it is a external leak getting on the plugs, then that would be valve covers. I would also suggest checking the the PCV valve is hooked up properly, especially the valve cover grommet.

I would also suggest replacing the PVC valve.

It doesn't APPEAR to be leaking oil. How much does it run to replace the PVC valve?

Thanks for your help!

pvc costs about 3-5 bucks and pops right in. it is on the left hand side of the engine looking at it from the front of the car.

One other possibility, if the plugs are being oil fouled. You could try installing new plugs with the next higher heat range. That might help keep the plugs going a little longer. Would not suggest more than one heat range higher, due to possibilities of pinging,.

You guys are the best! Here is what I posted about 7 or 8 months ago here:

1996 Lexus ES300, one owner, bought in 2003 for $9,000 with approx. 80,000 miles.

This has been the best car that I have ever owned, relatively few repairs, etc. I put on a set of new tires, and had it inspected regularly along with regular oil changes. I have had the inspection & minor repairs taken care of by a local Exxon service center.

In March of 2008, the car was running sluggishly so I took it in & they removed the valve cover, cleaned old gasket material & replaced with new gaskets (cost $448.03); in January of 08 it had throttle bore service.

The car now has about $143,000 miles. Since having the gasket/valve work done, it seemed to go through a lot of oil and when I started the car it would emit a lot of smoke initially but ran fine otherwise. It passed inspection fine in May of 2008.

On 11/14 the car began running poorly and the check engine light came on. When I took it in, Exxon told me that the "test failed systems & sensors"; the gentleman told me that it was spraying oil into the engine and it was only a matter of time ("3 days or 3 months" ... he couldn't tell me). Said it would cost several thousand to rebuild the engine.

I am presently unemployed (was recently laid off) & do not have any funds to buy a new car. Any advice? Should I get a second opinion or is the car shot?

They cleaned the #2 spark plug & it is running fine right now.

Thanks!

I will ask my mechanic about going to the next highest heat range. I really need this car to last me at least another year and any and all suggestions are welcome!

You guys are the best! Here is what I posted about 7 or 8 months ago here:

1996 Lexus ES300, one owner, bought in 2003 for $9,000 with approx. 80,000 miles.

This has been the best car that I have ever owned, relatively few repairs, etc. I put on a set of new tires, and had it inspected regularly along with regular oil changes. I have had the inspection & minor repairs taken care of by a local Exxon service center.

In March of 2008, the car was running sluggishly so I took it in & they removed the valve cover, cleaned old gasket material & replaced with new gaskets (cost $448.03); in January of 08 it had throttle bore service.

The car now has about $143,000 miles. Since having the gasket/valve work done, it seemed to go through a lot of oil and when I started the car it would emit a lot of smoke initially but ran fine otherwise. It passed inspection fine in May of 2008.

On 11/14 the car began running poorly and the check engine light came on. When I took it in, Exxon told me that the "test failed systems & sensors"; the gentleman told me that it was spraying oil into the engine and it was only a matter of time ("3 days or 3 months" ... he couldn't tell me). Said it would cost several thousand to rebuild the engine.

I am presently unemployed (was recently laid off) & do not have any funds to buy a new car. Any advice? Should I get a second opinion or is the car shot?

They cleaned the #2 spark plug & it is running fine right now.

Thanks!

I will ask my mechanic about going to the next highest heat range. I really need this car to last me at least another year and any and all suggestions are welcome!

sounds to me like the repair work you had done when you first got the car is the cause of the problem. sometimes, to figure out what is wrong with your car you need to go back to what was done last...hence (and in my opinion) the reason why you are having the oil leak into the cylinders is because of some crappy work done when you had your gaskets replaced. the fact that your car was smoking on start up and other such things, indicates a crap job done by the mechanic.

so, tell me what the mechanics said when you took her in for being sluggish the first time...

Perhaps a little look at the gaskets they replaced? Keep in mind, 146 thou. on these cars is WAY to young to die.

I have 250 plus on mine, no smoke out of the pipes...etc. There are others with more...

don't worry, we will get you to the bottom of this...just need some more info.

You know it could just be valve stem seals, but as long as it is running, just keep changing the oil. It wont hurt anything unless it gets real bad, do you get blue smoke out the exhaust? If so the Catalytic converter is not burning the oil off. I had a old mercedes that was doing this, had the valve stems seals replaced and everything was fine for awhile. Good luck in your job quest.