Upgrading 06-09 Rx400h W/ Chrome Rims? A Few Q's...

Hey guys! I have an Rx400h with the stock 400h rims, but i want them in chrome. I don't want any "standard" rim, i want the 18" 400h rims just chromed, since i want to keep the same "look" and i don't want to mess with the engineering of the wheels shape etc...

I've found a few links on ebay for a set of 4 rx400h rims that have been chromed, for $1,686 but i don't have anywhere near close to that much money to spend on them right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-18-LEXU...sQ5fAccessories

There's also a link to an auction for a "trade" where they'd send me the chrome wheels and i'd have to send mine back, for $657.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-18-LEXU...sQ5fAccessories

Only issue, is that i'd like to have a winter set (stock silver rx400h wheels) and a summer set (the chrome ones), so a trade really isn't an option.

BUT... what if i purchased this "trade" deal now, and sent my stock wheels back (so i'd have the chrome ones for this summer) and between now and later on in the year (until Sept before the winter months) i could browse ebay for used rx400h wheels at a good price (hopefully less than 200 each shipped) and gather 4 to put on before the snow comes? Think it's doable? It would allow me extra time to come up with the money.

I really won't risk using the chrome wheels in the snow, sand and salt- that's why i want a winter set. I'm sure the chrome wheels (even though aftermarket) will hold up if i only use them in the summer and clean them weekly, think?

The next problem- the lexus air pressure sensors. What is the ordeal one must go through when switching rims/tires?

What if i purchased a set of TIRES for EACH set of wheels (so i'd have tires that would always stay with the winter set, and tires that would always stay with the summer set). Would this prevent me from having to buy new sensors twice a year? This way, i wouldn't have to switch tires from the winter rims to the summer rims, and back and forth etc.... Plus this way, i could get winter tires for the winter rims, and all season tires for the summer set- just an idea...

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I think you can initialize up to 9 sensors (two sets of 4 & the spare) for the TPMS system, so thats not an issue.

As far as the chrome wheels...I don't know if I would even spend $700 on a set of aftermarket chrome wheels. I've seen too many problems with the chrome plating bubbling and causing tire inflation issues, even when they are used with a set of rims for the winter.

I'd look for a place locally that will stand behind their work...maybe ask your Lexus dealer.

I did exacly what you are looking to do with that outfit in California. Back in 2006 when I traided my brand new ones in the deposit was only like 600.00 and I wish I would have kept my old ones. I did manage to find anather set for 550.00 shipped so I have my winter set now also

Have you checked with Lexus dealers? My last set of chrome rims (LS400) came from my local dealer as an exchange for my stock rims.

Tom

I've never seen the Rx400h rims in chrome from whoever Lexus outsources... I'm going to the Lexus dealer tomorrow, i'll ask if they can work with me or something.

I was thinking the Lexus dealer (since i didn't buy it from them) would charge an arm and a leg for this...

I've had after-market chrome wheels on the Rx300 (that were regular Rx300 wheels just stripped and chromed) and they lasted 4 years just fine without a single pit or chip/peel.

I think keeping them away from the snow sand and salt makes all the difference. And they do offer a 5yr warranty... and i mean if they're still together at the 5 year mark, they'll last another 5 years under the same circumstances. I mean if the plating process worked i'll be able to tell after a few months use...

Everyone's telling me to get "22's" or some "regular" style chrome wheel you could put on any car, but honestly i think the 400h wheels are nicely designed for the car, they fit well. If the design works, why change it?

Hey guys! I have an Rx400h with the stock 400h rims, but i want them in chrome...

To each his own. Those chrome rims spell sucker to me because they were a ploy by some Lexus dealers to get a "dealer markup" on the price of the car by charging $1-3K extra for the chrome job.

But don't get them from ebay, you are only going to bail out one of these suckers who bit for the sales job.

Since you mentioned wanting a winter and summer set, just get a regular set of lexus rims and have them chromed yourself. Nearly any big city will have a chrome shop. It's not nearly as expensive as you would think.

Do you think someone locally would offer a warranty? It might be a good idea, i always thought it would be much too expensive though.

I will never own chome again .

I had a set of sc430 in chrome and they leaked and peeled worse than any wheel i have ever seen.

I also am not much of a fan of the look any more.

I like to see colour matched wheels more.

Chrome and salt is hell for me.

The dealer supplied chrome rims I referred to went on a 1990 LS400. I didn't pay a fortune for them because I did what I often do with my Lexus dealer--played him against other Lexus dealers out of the area.

I sold the vehicle to a friend I still see and the chrome looks as good today as it did on 2002.

Tom

I was at the dealer today to pick up my new emblem and asked the parts guy about the chrome rims, and he looked at me like i had two heads... I guess it's not a popular request.

Yeah they were factory on some of the Rx300's :(

I used to think the "factory" chrome Rx300 rims were special, then i found out Lexus just outsources someone to chrome them and Lexus charges way more for them... But at least they'd be under lexus warranty i guess...